1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ICE engine coolant replacement DIY

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by philipc, Feb 21, 2018.

1. philipc

philipc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    This past weekend i did a couple service items on my 2006 Prius including ICE coolant, Inverter coolant, and tansaxel fluid change. I spent a good hour and a half filling the ICE coolant, running the hot coolant storage tank motor and all other recommendations i've read here and in youtube videos. I've put back in at least as much coolant as i originally took out. Yesterday after a quick trip out i decided to check the levels again and noticed that under the radiator cap was not at the same level it was when i last left it so i topped it off again. I did have to put in much as i could still see the fluid in the line just above the 90 elbow. Wanting to make sure it was right today after another quick trip i checked it again, and once again it was just above the 90 elbow but not right to the top, i topped it off again.

My question is, is the proper level just above that elbow or should it be right to the top and the system is still working minor air bubbles out? I dont hear any bubbling and the pump sounds proper.

I ask because when i checked it before i drained it it was right to the cap but not sure if that was a fluke. Also note the reservoir has maintained its level at the full line. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Keep topping off every morning when the engine is cold, you'll do it for a few days and the level shouldn't move anymore

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. philipc

philipc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks, thats what i was planning on doing just wanted to make sure i wasnt going crazy.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like your referring to the over flow tank
    Don’t worry about that tank right now look in the rad itself that’s the true level of coolant
    Take the black plastic cover off the top of the rad and open the rad cap
    The coolant should be right to the top
    Of the neck
    Be aware on this car the overflow tank may have coolant in it and the rad really low
    It’s a very weird coolant system
    I personally do not put that plastic cover screws back on so I can get to that rad cap
    Cover not going anywhere it’s trapped by the hood
    After a full change the coolant level will move around for a whike and requires observation of the rad level
    Run the cabin heat on high for a while
    That will be full circulation and listen for gurgling sounds under the dash
    That means there is Air in the system

I would not have done the coolant without an xgauge to monitor temps.

Sean2005Gen2CA likes this.
  5. philipc

philipc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It's definitely under the rad cap that I'm looking at. The line has a 90 degree bend about 2 inches down that heads towards the front of the car. " coolant should be right to the top" is what I wanted to double check so thanks for clarifying. I've left the plastic cover off entirely ATM sitting on my work bench (who designs a covercover you can easily check the fluid levels). Hopefully it's full ( or close to) as I had put back in the same amount of fluid as I took out it just seemed weird the rad line was always a inch below the top after a quick drive.

Thanks again for the help

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok
    Don’t understand what rad line means though?

7. philipc

philipc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I think my phone auto corrected that this morning. Should have said rad level (as in the fluid level), was always a inch below the top after a quick drive. Even today a couple quick drives and its still taking ever so slightly more fluid. Time will tell how long it will keep taking fluid.

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Got it.

Yeah it will take a while for it to get any air out. It is very difficult to do a full engine coolant change
    And not incur trapped air. It’s the CHRS . My car the fluid has been at the very top of the rad neck for years.
    Turn on th heat for a while.

I recommend to posters to not do the full change just dump the rad and refill a few times that is pretty good.

This car is very easy on ice coolant but very hard on inverter coolant. That is easy to dump and fill.

kerbear54, philipc and Raytheeagle like this.
  9. philipc

philipc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks! Yea it was likely trapped air in the CHRS.

I *think* its good now after another trip the fluid is still right up to the top. Going to give it a couple more days of checks but hopefully it holds.

Raytheeagle and edthefox5 like this.