1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ICE on or off in traffic?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Chippingawayatlife, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Chippingawayatlife

Chippingawayatlife Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Speaking of temperature, I noticed during mid commute, I encounter a large hill requiring about 1 minute in the power-red zone. Following this is a 1 minute downhill where I expect regen and the ICE off. However, the ICE stays on. Is this because the lithium battery heated up past it's designed temperature range? This also happens after regenerating for a longer duration. Is this normal compared to the NiMH prius?

2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some of us, myself included pay extortionate power bills to get out home temperature up to 20°C or higher for half the year of longer. 24°C in summer would be quite a hot day for us back in Blighty. Personally, I have to drive up a steep driveway to the road which is almost at top of a steep hill, so EV from 'go' is unlikely for me while the ambient air temperature is low.

You don't say your battery SOC when this happens, but it's unlikely the battery is overheating. There is a reliable safety system to prevent that. Is it normal? I don't know, but it may be and there are many others in your climate who will come in and advise you.

3. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    To get EV from cold, make sure heater and/or AC is off, press the EV button within 10 seconds of the "READY" light coming on and keep the acceleration low (so no good up a hill). I only do this if I want to briefly do something in the car which requires me to be in ready mode, or to move it on the driveway, the rest of the time I let the car decide what mode it's in.
    I never use PWR or ECO either (I tried them just to see if they work), I don't see the point of dulling the pedal in ECO or making the pedal twitchy in PWR mode, I'm quite capable of controlling the amount of acceleration I need with the pedal in its more linear normal mode.

RCO likes this.
  4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace 2025 Camry XLE FWD

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    XLE
    You must meet other conditions which are mentioned in the manual too. If the vehicle has sat for a while and temperature is below 68F (20C) you cannot use place it in EV mode. I found that out the other day. I tried it after watching a Gen 2 Prius leave in EV mode. :(

5. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Yes, I forgot about that one, I find it's usually when the car has been standing for more than a day, it didn't happen when I used to use the car everyday, shutting it down at 5:30 pm then starting it up at 8:15 am next day.

RCO likes this.
  6. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    XLE
    I got to work at 7:30 AM & left just after 4:30 PM when I had the issue.

RCO likes this.
  7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is that sub-arctic Virginia you live, then? ;)

8. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Just tried it on mine a couple of hours ago (6:00pm), last used yesterday, parked up at 11.30am, stood for just over 30 hours, ambient temperature is 9 deg C, 3 bars on HV battery, climate off (but heated seat left on from yesterday), pressed EV button as soon as Ready came on and it went into forced EV and ICE stayed off, no problem.

RCO likes this.
  9. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    XLE
    Difference between US & UK or 2016 vs 2017 or both? I quoted from the US manual after my Gen 4 told me it could not do what I just watched a Gen 2 Prius do.

RCO and kithmo like this.
  10. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Possibly, I know with the early Gen 3 UK versions could and US couldn't so maybe its the same with the Gen 4.

RCO likes this.
  11. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In the information screen on the right side of the two, scroll down from your EV monitor to see the EV percentage you've been driving on the current trip. I find this to be an effective way to see how my overall driving was for short trips. It's just another tool to help. Instead of checking everything as you drive, check just before you shut down.

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  12. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks, Michelle.
    That is different than hitting the EV Mode button. That is what I was referring to.

13. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe U.S. degrees are different than British degrees?

RCO likes this.
  14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    XLE
    You mean 68F vs 20 C ? That is why I stated it both ways. :D

RCO likes this.