1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ICE running more in hot weather

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by mremaximus, Jul 10, 2012.

1. mremaximus

mremaximus "I can't wait to start hammering people" Bubbles

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I'm trying to read all I can about this car, I apologize if this is obvious. But I've noticed my cars ICE runs a lot more when parked now the temperatures are reaching 100 degs. I would think with the engine and coolant warm it wouldn't. Even without using the AC, or set at the lowest fan speed with a high temp like 78 deg., and the battery with half or more charge.
    I'm not worried I was just curious as to why this is happening, and if anyone has noticed this?

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Does the C have a HV battery vent in the rear seat? If so, is anyone blocking it when sitting there or has a jacket been throw over it by mistake?

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One possibility is that the traction battery might be getting too hot, and is going into a self protection mode. Check out this thread, where some actions aimed at this possibility (e.g. use more AC, and put in into fresh air mode instead of recirculate) did help: ICE Runs for 20+ miles in HOT Weather

4. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    We just had some big temps here. The C, in my experience, doesn't like big degrees. Sounds about right to me. When your temperature goes down again make another evaluation. Maybe take a ride in theses hours when it's cooler. Below 95 degrees seems good.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I almost NEVER use automatic climate control on my 2nd gen Prius. I don't know what it's going to do and when (with respect to AC compressor, what air is being blended, etc.) Most of the time, I want control.

If the AC compressor is on, then the drain is a lot greater than when it's not, when idling. I don't have numbers for the c, but on my Gen 2, w/no headlights on, I see a drain from the HV battery (which is ~220+ volts on the Gen 2 Prius) of ~1.2-1.4 amps w/AC off. If I turn it on and have the HVAC fan on high, the drain can be as high as 11.x amps.

If you're running down the HV battery, the ICE must turn on to help it charge back up. And, if that auto setting results in the AC compressor turning on....

6. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The a/c really sucks the life out of this car. Even judicial use can make the engine run to keep the battery up.

In the C, I usually have the temp at 75 degrees. If it's close to that I'll just turn everything off and maybe roll the windows down. If it's in the 80's I may turn on the A/C. If it's in the 90's it depends on how I feel. I smoke cigars, so I keep the window cracked, the recirc off, and the fan on feet blower. Comfort is good sometimes, circulation is good others. Where ever you wish to draw the line is fine. Sometimes you can splurge and turn on the A/C. The world world will not end.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The battery capacity on the Prius c is smaller than that of the regular Prius (aka liftback), so it wouldn't surprise me if the ICE needing to run more just to keep the HV battery's charge sufficient, esp. w/AC on.

8. mremaximus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I have never heard the fan run for the battery. Should I be hearing this? The vent is not covered, but reading the other posts, I do have the car parked in the hot sun all day. I imagine this is the cause, and I will start running the AC more and use fresh air instead of recirculate to see if this helps. thanks for the ideas and posts.

9. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    The C's fan is very quiet, I can't hear it when it is running. It may even be a variable speed fan. I can very definitely hear the fan on my Gen 2 though.

I have noticed the C's fan running at a low volume when the weather is warm. Here in the south it has been 100F+ for many days in a row lately. I can stick my left arm back between the door and A Pillar and feel if the fan is on at the battery air intake.

My experience is the C runs pretty efficiently if you have ECO on, AC on, and the fan speed set to low or one up from low with temp set to 74-75. When it is 80 to 90 outside I can still hit 60 mpg on my commute home over hill and dale here in NC.

BUT, when it was 106-107 recently here, AC set to 74-75, my mpg really took a hit with AC in AUTO.

10. mremaximus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I have now felt the batteries fan running, it is supper quiet, but I can reach back and feel it. It's just the heat when parked all day that starts the engine running. I have been running ECO with the temps at 75 and low to med-low, and this helps and I still get great fuel economy like Oldwolf said.