1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ice/snow buildup on fender/wheelwell liners causing damage

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by alw, Oct 21, 2017.

1. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why not try silicone spray before more extreme measures?

#21 CR94, Dec 22, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  2. alw

alw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    A post-winter report:

After (hopefully) the last of a long series of Boston snowstorms, my wife reports that she has never had any further problems with fenderbergs sticking to the Prius. So Fluid Film seems to do the job!

We will continue to monitor for any signs of degradation of rubber components (the manufacturer warns about this possibility), or summer buildup of dirt. Assuming we see no problems, we probably will reapply a spray coating to the wheelwell liners in late autumn.

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great report. I had Fluid Film applied on under body of my Gen 3 Prius for rust prevention, but I don't think it was specifically applied to the wheel well liners. I never had too much problem with freezing ice and snow on those part, for our temp are usually lower than Boston and road does not accumulate slush. It stay either as compacted snow or completely frozen ice, so they don't stick. I was thinking of applying Fluid Film on my new Prime before the winter season, but the garage I took to told me under body plastic shields covers everything, there is nothing to spray on.

Bay Stater likes this.
  4. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Where was this product obtained? Thanks.

5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is something about inserting Amazon URL into here that gets changed to unknown media that prevent displaying a link. I just captured the page from Amazon. Just search "Fluid Film" in Amazon, you will find this page.

fluidfilm.PNG
    You can buy at most major auto supply stores, hardware stores, or from most of on-line retailer like Amazon or Walmart. They sell in different forms like 5 or 1 gallon can for large application, but for DIY of small areas like the one OP is using, spray can is most convenient.

#25 Salamander_King, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Bay Stater likes this.
  6. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I've heard of some folks using FluidFilm in the wheelweel liners :

oops..someone beat me to it ( see above ).

I'm going to try this on the rear of my Prius v (wagon) at some point. Turns out the v (wagon) doesn't have rear undercover panels ( which is disappointing ) and there is some rust starting back there.

Unless someone has a better alternative...of course. Are there any recommended 'rust inhibitors' that are more permanent than FluidFilm? I was considering this for metal areas :

#26 farmecologist, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  7. Carl Mims

Carl Mims Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    How did this work out? Did you find the proper thing to use. I have extreme problems in MT with buildup and can not chip it off. I have to take to a heated carwash and blast off with pressure cleaner.

8. alw

alw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Have been spraying Fluid Film on the wheelwell liners late each fall, and my wife has never had another problem with fenderbergs. By the way, Fluid Film is the only lubricant officially recommended by Medeco, a manufacturer of precision high-security lock mechanisms.

Medeco Cylinder Lubrication

9. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

FluidFilm ended up working great on nearly everything. I think of it more as a metal protectant...but it did work on the wheel well liners.

alw likes this.
  10. alw

alw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    A minor correction: Fluid Film's active ingredient is actually lanolin, the natural waterproofing that preserves sheep's wool. It works amazingly well for preventing fenderberg formation.

farmecologist likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    South Main Auto guy (YouTube) uses fluid film, and has a baaing sheep sound bite every time he brings it out. (y)

alw likes this.
  12. alw

alw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    A continuing update:

We have been spraying Fluid Film on the inside wheelwell liners of our 2010 Prius every late fall season since 2017, and have never again had to deal with fenderbergs since then. The stuff works really well to prevent snow and ice buildup, and is also promoted as a corrosion inhibitor.

An interesting development is that Medeco Security Locks now exclusively recommends using lanolin-based Fluid Film spray to lubricate their precision high-security locks. This supersedes their previous recommendation to use a Medeco-branded PTFE-based lock lube spray.

Medeco Recommends FLUID FILM for Cylinder Lubrication

Mendel Leisk likes this.