1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ICE/Transmission shudder at Idle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Daniel Stahovic, Jul 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Daniel Stahovic

Daniel Stahovic New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    4592ABA1-47E3-4841-9837-E53B86C105DD.jpeg 1A6D5255-9495-4C5D-9F4C-870AB50E4F5A.jpeg 36BF9A9B-FDF1-47C1-8B67-85533969AC3E.jpeg 2811E362-4DD4-4EB0-A196-F6D6FC8CEA4E.jpeg 528086C0-8FEC-4E96-80AE-0CFE67CE42B3.jpeg DF1A5EBD-A5DE-4CA8-8F63-3D5ACE2DF29D.jpeg My Aunt (Original owner) 2005 Gen 2 273k miles I have misfire codes the engine is shuddering:
    P0300, P0301, P0302 and P0304
    Replaced: OE Plugs, All coil packs, did compression test, replaced all injectors.

I still can’t get ride of the shakes. It rattles like the ICE or the Transmission is going to blow up.

Also getting the following codes...
    P0A1D, P3110, C2318,

Now I get 1 Purple or no battery bars (replaced the HV battery 1/2 way through its life)

I Replaced the 12v Battery with the Deep Cycle yellow top Optima battery 3-4 months ago and it’s still testing at 12.5v

Now it also won’t get out of P or N and won’t go into D or R and now the ICE won’t start (ARG!!!)

I want the Chugging/Shudder in the engine bay to stop.

I’m going to test the HV battery too.
    I was thinking to do a Desk Recharge to all the individual Cells and see which ones are bad and which ones need replacement...

Anyone have any ideas? I was a master mechanic (started a different career when I had kids) but I refused to work on hybrids... this is my first and it’s a head scratcher

2. Daniel Stahovic

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also when you accelerate at higher rpm’s it smooths out but the engine light flashes because of the misfires… The shattering sounds like marbles or rocks inside of a plastic box… You can literally take the airbox out put rocks in it and shake it and that’s what it sounds like

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I see the car icon on the upper left corner of the mfd and the hybrid battery meter shows it’s flat.

You have a bad hybrid battery.

That obd tester your using does not have Techstream software and may not capture all hybrid codes.
    I do see battery ecu nags here though. Usually any battery codes whatsoever indicate battery investigation.
    At that age I can garantee the battery is a corroded mess.

The car is in limp mode and you probably have to drive it hard to get any speed up. Engine does not enjoy being the sole power plant.

Usually when you have misfire codes that move around the bottom end of the engine is blown. The bad lower bearings cause bad vibration and distort crank/cam pgs and engine ecus can’t decode them. The ecus see those bad readings as power not as expected and throw misfires codes. We see that a lot here on high mileage motors.
    Damage caused by no oil in engine. High mileage Prius eat engine oil and nobody seems to check there oil regurly so check engine light or RTOD comes on because oil pump sucking air. That usually lunches that little motor. Toughest little motor ever but will not tolerate no oil. Only hold 3.5 quarts to begin with.

What happened your aunt blew the car up and gave it to you?

#3 edthefox5, Jul 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    Daniel Stahovic likes this.
  4. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had two similar experiences working on such vehicles.

1. A Camry had that terrible noise, I thought was coming from the trans axle.
    Serviced the injectors, and had to replaced the fuel pump.
    So, in case, have you replaced the fuel pump? Try checking that out. If the pump is weak, or the strainer is terribly dirty, you'd have random misfire problems as you have now.

2. Another possibility was on a Camry hybrid I did worked on also.
    At the end, I discovered I had the check hybrid system light come on the dash. When I scanned it with tech stream, I got codes related to about 10modules that were weak, and needed replacements, and balancing them with the existing park.

After fixing em, all the shuddering noises stopped.

3. It might the wiring harnesses attached to the injectors, then straight to the ECU. Have those wires checked for open circuit problems.

Regards,
    Dxta

Daniel Stahovic likes this.
  5. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

6. Daniel Stahovic

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got the car started using this thread 2005 Prius HV battery troubles | PriusChat on reply’s #8 and #12 Corroded ETCS fuse and I tapped all the relays with my pliers to see if I can get to start also I wiggled the positive terminal and got it tight again.

I checked all the battery modules in the back (wholly 10 and 12mm bolts Batman!!!) they all were ranging 7.55-7.56v so all the batteries were good. I did a test drive and got up to 6 Blue bars on the dash’s Hybrid battery meter.

I didn’t check any more codes it was 1:20am when I got the car running. The 10amp ETCS Fuse was corroded and a matter fact a lot of the fuses were corroded as well… Sounds like I’m gonna have to use a wire brush and lightly put some dielectric grease on them

@edthefox5, yes, the Hybrid battery terminals at all the modules were lightly corroded. I’ll take a photo tomorrow with more of my findings. I’m praying you’re not right with the motor. Yes she goes through oil, but she loves her Prius, sorry I’m all gas motors myself 13mpg 1998 Jeep and a 31mpg 2002 Elantra, I just rebuilt a 2.5 Subaru motor last Monday for the wife

Also for some reason I forgot to plug in the number 4 injector, but as I was driving it was pretty smooth... almost like glass… But had no power after I plugged it in, then I started getting a chugging and my check engine light started flashing, but I’m gonna check codes tomorrow night.

7. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Am curious what led you to that thread?