1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ICE turns back on while braking at 70km/h

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by JonathanJ, Dec 15, 2018.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did I underthink my Prius Ownership?

I'm currently NOT a Prius owner.
    But one thing I've noticed over the years and since my absence of ownership, in comparison to my own Prius experience, is that a contingent of Prius owners really seem to overthink what their Prius is doing.

No knock on this OP...or anyone really. I think attention to what your vehicle is doing is great.

But when I owned my Prius?
    I really didn't pay that much attention to exactly when my ICE was kicking in, or off. I didn't worry too much about whether I thought the vehicle should be operating on battery power and whether it was or not.
    I drove with a " In HSD we trust " attitude.

The only thing I monitored with any specific attention was my overall MPG. As long as I was returning Prius Hybrid MPG numbers? I defaulted to the idea my Prius was operating just fine.

Of course I looked for dash warnings, codes, or "disturbing" sounds, like I would with any vehicle, but compared it seems to many owners, I simply didn't worry so much about precise things, like when exactly the engine was on, off, or whether I personally thought something was wrong with the HSD.

I kind of figured if there was a problem with the Hybrid Synergy Drive, my MPG would deteriorate and/or I'd get codes. In the absence of those two things happening....I simply didn't worry about it.

Should I of thought about it more?

jerrymildred likes this.
  2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You mean .....

Wait for it ........

"Just drive it?" :LOL:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    jerrymildred likes this.
  4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know. I had a lot of "Prius Chat" experience before I actually owned my Prius. So maybe that gave me a different attitude.

But even as a Prius owning newbie, driving off the Toyota dealership lot, I never worried too much about what I perceived my Prius was doing in terms of the engine turning on of off and or electric motor boost or aid.

I looked at the big picture indicators, that is does the Hybrid Battery seem to charge and keep charges "normally"?
    Is my MPG good for a new Prius?

Then everything else I just really ignored.

Of course my Prius was brand new, and didn't have any problems....
    but neither did I feel I really had to worry about whether my ICE was turning back on as I braked, or whether it was on as I cruised a parking lot.....

But reading a lot of new Prius Owners posts, I feel I was kind of in a minority position with this attitude.

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I tend to agree, at least just among Prius Chat members. In the much larger Prius world, I suspect few people obsess about such things. I kind of think that that obsession is what brings a large percentage of our people to PC. Then there are the geeks or the people with actual malfunctions.