1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ICe warmup period/battery usage - i want to hypermile!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by saucebag, Jun 2, 2012.

1. saucebag

saucebag Nude Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes i searched...i just want to clarify what i think i have learned as i am a newbie and trying to hypermile even though i drive long highway trips at high speeds...

if i start the car in the morning after having not driven it since the night before...like 8 ish hours...the ICE will engage and go through its warm up phases...from what i can gather...
    1) the engine is only on to warm up to get the coolant to the proper temp...
    2) i am using mostly battery for the first 30 seconds-1 minute in my neighboorhood as i drive on a slow road...

in regards to hypermiling, if the engine is going to turn on anyway, should we use the engine for forward propulsion during the first 1 minute of the car being turned on since it has to be on anyway and save what charge is left in the battery from the previous night for the drive after minute 1. (i am assuming that after 1 minute your engine is in the proper stage and would normally shut off when not in use while driving) or is it best to not use the ICE for forward proplulsion and to either 1) use the battery only or 2) sit in your driveway until the warm up session is completed and then drive nromally...

Thanks,
    i am just trying to figure out the best ways to maximize everything...