1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ICE will not run after replacing engine

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SDSUsnowboards, Jan 7, 2022.

1. SDSUsnowboards

SDSUsnowboards Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi all. My 2013 Prius blew a head gasket and bend a rod at about 140k miles. I replaced the motor myself with a used engine, which took about 3 months.

After installing a new motor I attempted to start the car. The splash screen did it's animation then said to check the hybrid system. Then the traction battery spun the motor for a few seconds then it clattered to a stop. At no time did I hear any combustion. I pulled the following codes using Torque.

P191 - powertrain
    p2135 – throttle/pedal position sensor/swith a/b voltage correlation
    p0403 – exhaust gas recirculation control circuit
    p343 – camshaft position sensor “a” circuit high input
    p0302 – misfire cyl 2
    p0301 – misfire cyl 1
    p0300 – random/multiple cylinder misfire
    p0123 throttle/pedal position sensor/switch a circuit high input
    p0121 - throttle/pedal position sensor/switch a circuit high input
    p0113 – intake air temperature circuit high input
    p0102 – mass or volume air flow circuit low input

I believer the misfires are old codes from before the engine replacement.

I concluded and confirmed that the 12v became completely depleted while the Prius was non-operational. I attempted to jump start the Prius by following these instructions. A trickle charger confirmed the 12v was about 25% charged when I attempted to start the Prius again. I received the same result and the same codes while after attempting to jump start the prius.

Any ideas about what's going on? I am using the same throttle position and throttle sensors as before and it's unlikely they all decided to fail while the car was sitting. I didn't screw around with the hybrid system while working on the car.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You didn't change the sensors, but that doesn't mean it's not worth re-checking all the wiring to them. There's a lot of stuff to disconnect and reconnect in an engine swap.

A "check hybrid system" can very well be the power management control ECU saying "huh ... the engine won't start."

3. SDSUsnowboards

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    An update: the 12v is fully charged, engine still will not run on its own power. I am noticing the smell of gasoline now.

I cleared the codes and tried to start the engine and now I'm getting only one: p3190. Time to re-check my work.

4. SDSUsnowboards

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    SOLVED. The line to the PCV valve was not plugged in.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The air hose? So a vacuum leak in intake manifold?

When I first installed an Oil Catch Can I inadvertantly left it's drain spigot in the open position, effectively creating a vacuum leak. It still ran ok, on a spin 'round the block, just sounded a little odd. But it did run. Maybe it was a minor leak though.