1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ID.Buzz reviews

Discussion in 'Volkswagen AG Hybrids and EVs' started by hkmb, Feb 24, 2022.

1. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I know the real car is never going to be as cool as the concept.

But there were some lovely ideas in the 2017 ID.Buzz concept, and it looked fantastic.

This looks like just another minivan.

I mean, it's great that there is now an electric minivan other than the very-short-range Peugeot-Opel-Vauxhall ones. There's definitely a market for a high-quality electric minivan with a good range.

And maybe there'll be some exciting variants in future.

But this.... It's just not getting me excited at all. It looks like a great, functional minivan, and that's a good thing. But it could have been amazing.

-----

"Plug And Charge", though. That's cool. Finally another EV maker is catching up with Tesla and charging will be less of a pain.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think a lot of concept cars lose out when meeting the hard wall of safety standards and cost. At least the ID.Buzz hasn't met the Aztek's fate.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My first car was a 1966 VW MicroBus and it was very useful. But I agree, this one does not impress.

Bob Wilson

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    with all the existing pictures of the vw.bus already online, it's hard to figure out why they would now add the Psychedelic camouflage wrap

5. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It isn't camouflage.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  7. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Those camos on the ships are to make spotting then, and shooting them harder.

Camos on car prototypes are to hide design and other features with geometric patterns that obscure things. It can include false panels.

That wrap on the ID.Buzz doesn't do that. It even accentuates some of the design curves. It isn't camo. It is just a colorful wrap for aesthetics.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I like obscure & obfuscation ... it means we both are close to the same understanding

9. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. It could have been so interesting. It has the heritage, and the concept took full advantage of that. But this is not significantly different to my old Chrysler Grand Voyager (although hopefully with the pedals in a more sensible place).

bwilson4web likes this.
  10. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    VW are still claiming that it's camouflage. But it looks a lot more like marketing to me.

11. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    #11 John321, Feb 27, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
  12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    you mean like, "ooohhh .... wow!! " I wonder what it's going to look like!" ... " very exciting!"
    humor aside - it will be interesting to see how such a vehicle will compete with things like the RAV4 Prime (constrained production), Chrysler minivan (decent amount on their Lots) etc. Not exactly the same product, but electric travels covering 90% of their travels, with good cargo, people roominess. Can't deny it isn't a benefit to be able to run on gas if they have to, even using that gas as a backfeed generator on occasions is a plus.

#12 hill, Feb 27, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
  13. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it's like "DON'T LOOK AT THIS!!!!! YOU MIGHT FIND OUT ABOUT OUR VERY IMPORTANT SECRET NEW DESIGN!!!!!"

14. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When I lived in HK, I worked for a while at a big law firm and my office overlooked what was first the British army base and then (after 1 July 1997) the People's Liberation Army base. The base was on the harbour, and I had a beautiful view over the whole of the harbour. The army base had its own jetty.

One day, a weird ship docked, loaded and unloaded, and sailed off. It was a catamaran, with weirdly-shaped slabs at strange angles. It had some fairly eccentric camouflage paint. When it sailed off, it left no visible wake. I thought "that's got to be a stealth ship".

This all happened just before Easter. That's the wettest, foggiest time of year in HK.

HK has regular high-speed ferries to Macau. They're enormous catamarans that travel at 45kts (51mph). The stretch of water between HK and Macau is one of the busiest waterways in the world.

Over Easter, there was a big story in the news. A HK-Macau ferry had crashed, and about 100 passengers had to get evacuated.

It turns out that what I saw had indeed been a PLA stealth ship. Some idiot had decided that testing it in one of the world's busiest waterways at the foggiest time of year. The crew of the ferry didn't see it, and the radar didn't see it either, so they smacked into it at full speed.

I guess the stealth technology worked.

15. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are some new official articles out on the ID.Buzz. They've formally launched it now.

2022 Volkswagen ID. Buzz electric car revealed: price, specs and release date | What Car?

VW ID. Buzz revealed: All the details on retro new Microbus | CAR Magazine

I must say, it looks less disappointing than it did in those videos with all the disguise and the restricted filming. The interior looks cool. And the paint job makes the whole thing look more like a hippie Microbus than the silly camouflage did.

I don't know why they decided to do that. It really made the ID.Buzz look a bit rubbish. But this looks actually quite cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Oh no! Some idiot has put the steering wheel on the wrong side!

But otherwise I think this looks like it would be a thoroughly nice place to be.

16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I was getting hits in an image source for the two tone paint job during my earlier postings. Which is why I didn't see the rainbow camo as camo; other exterior photos without any 'camo' had already been put out.

17. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  18. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The EU price includes the VAT. IIRC, that's 19% for Germany.

19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    200 horse stock VW bus ..... who would of ever thought ....

20. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A