1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'd like to be brighter and better looking.....

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by The Electric Me, Dec 3, 2015.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a simple query for opinion.

This winter my headlights just seem so dim. Or maybe winter nights just seem much darker? They aren't out, but they just don't seem to be generating the same brightness.

I'd like better visibility.

But, I don't want to go the HID or any route that requires wiring and or housing modification.

I want to know if there is a plug and play bulb replacement that is legitimately worth it? I've heard that really there isn't. That the differences in brightness aren't really noticeable.

Typically I wait until at least one bulb burns out. But if I can really get a noticeable improvement? I might upgrade now.

What recommendations if any does anyone have for Brighter headlight bulb replacement.

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    H9 bulb upgrade, minor modification to the bulb only. Been running them in our Prius coming up on 2 years.

You get about 50% more light at 4300K, which is best for contrast in rainy conditions, which you get a fair amount of. ;)

Link in my signature below, look for the link in the thread to mediahounds video guide toward the end of the thread.

If you have the rotary tool and the bits, it takes about 5 minutes to modify both bulbs. Bulbs are about $20 per pair, get clear capsule name brand bulbs like Philips or Osram. FYI, I'm installing HID into the Prius today. :)

I've been running HID in my Camry for a few months, and the difference between the H9 and HID is still dramatic and worthwhile IMO. I did the squirrel finder block modification though to prevent stray light (glare) from shining out above the cutoffs, a step many people skip, but necessary IMHO.

The Electric Me likes this.
  3. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    School can help with one. For the other one you need a magician, not just a plastic surgeon.

:p:LOL::ROFLMAO:;)

xliderider likes this.
  4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    You may be able to get higher power bulbs of the same type, but they may overtax the wiring or melt the housing.
    Some feel colour temperature helps. I think they are fooling themselves, but to each his own opinion.
    A new car with better headlamps is a solution. ;)

5. toyotechwv

toyotechwv Toyota Technician

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Piaa bulbs...

SM-G900V ?