1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ideal Charging Schedule

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by epon, May 5, 2017.

1. epon

epon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    New to plug-ins and driver in household has a 6 - 10 mile daily round trip commute. On days they arrive with 60% or more battery left should the charging be postponed to the next night to save the charge cycles? I assume topping up the battery nightly isnt ideal. Also saw something about them preferring to live in a state of lower charge. A quick and dirty guide or a pointing to one would be appreciated. TIA

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    correct on all counts. delay charging when ever convenient, but don't go crazy. the big thing is not to leave it charged for long periods of time.

i keep mine about 50% charged most of the time, so if i do need to run out, it only takes a half hour to fill it. that's with an L2 charger, and prime would take a little longer, if you need the full 25 miles.

3. Prius from Dad

Prius from Dad Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    There is a charging schedule you can set to your departure time (preferred method). Your battery will not be sitting at full charge for more than a half hour. If it is a consistent commute you can set a weekday schedule and charge as needed on the weekends.

4. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    We live about 11 miles from town. A round trip is ~22 miles. In winter with the defrost going we only have 20 miles on a full charge. Now that we are going into summer a full charge is easily 24+ miles.

We keep it plugged-in all the time at home.

joachimz and priuscatprimeguy like this.