1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ideal Prius Jack Stand Size

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Siward, Oct 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi PriusChat,

I have been using a jack along with two 3.5 ton jack stands for my Prius. My 3.5 ton stands have a minimum height of 14" and is a bit too tall for the Prius. I can get away with using them for oil changes, but it would be way too tall if I had to lift the whole vehicle. Below are my current jack stands.
    Michelin 3.5T Axle Stand | Canadian Tire

I am planning on buying another set of four jack stands (smaller ones). I would like to know what the ideal jack stand size would be? I don't plan on buying them in a hurry, but I need to know what to get.

The 3 ton jacks stand have a minimum height of about 11.25" to 12"
    3 TON JACK STANDS
    https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.3-ton-jack-stand-pair.1000805827.html

The 2 ton jack stands have a minimum height of about 10"
    https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.2-ton-jack-stand-pair.1000791791.html

I plan on trying to buy the stands with a lockable key. I won't skimp on safety. The Prius is around 3 tons. The 2 ton stand cannot be used alone.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since the single stand won't be supporting the whole weight of the vehicle, 2 tons is plenty.
    The most would be 1 ton(2000#s) in the front with both wheels raised.
    I use the stands and have 2 jacks that I leave under also, as insurance. The stand is supporting the majority
    of the weight and the will help hold it up should the stand fail. Maybe not for long, but you'd be surprised just
    how fast you can move when you need too! :)

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It depends on what you're doing. For something like tire rotation only, I want the whole car with the wheels just clear of the slab, to make it easier on my back. For oil changes, I have a set up with a very squat container with a very big funnel atop. For this I want pretty much as much lift as I can get.

Accordingly, I have a set of 4 each, of 2 ton and 6 ton. With the 6 tons they're almost always with the cradle fully down, a little overkill, but they seem safer, more stable. It takes pretty much the full travel of my 3 ton floor jack to be able to sneak them in at my preferred bearing points in the front. The jack has a theoretical max lift of 21", more like 20" loaded I think.

If I'm lifting just the front or rear, I always chock the tires at the end still on the ground: heavy rubber official chocks, front and rear of each tire. Not a rock, lol.

Also, whenever practical, which is most of the time, I push a tree trunk section (about the proportions of a giant marshmallow) under the car, at some strong point. Just in case...

4. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Raising a Prius is a pain! Anyway you look at it unless you have a lift!
    It is so low you pretty much need a low profile jack to get under it to lift it.
    I just raise the right front wheel, change the filter, then drain the oil. And then lower the car until
    the oil stops and raise it back up and replace the drain plug. It sure is a LOT faster and easier!

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My jack is not low profile. It clears ok. And I've sub'd a rubber saddle, and put a shim under it as well, just sneaks under the front plastic.

6. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For oil changes, I need to raise the car pretty high to get the darn oil door to open.

I plan to use the new stands to raise the whole car. It is a bit too tall to use on the pinch rails.

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I used the "oil door" and the pinch rails, once.

Trying to flex that little flap, the whole underpanel was bending as well: decided that was not good, and from then on took the whole panel off at each oil change. Wash all the plastic fasteners clear of grit too. Grit tends to jam them, cause them to break, I think.

The pinch rails are indicated as the proscribe bearing point for the scissor jack, but if you try out that scissor jack, you'll see it cups around that rail, is actually bearing on the metal of the body directly behind. The pinch rail only provides lateral stability. The one time I needed to use the scissor jack, for a flat tire, I checked afterwards and that one use had dimpled the body at the point of bearing. And this was a rear point.

Again, I put safety stands on that pinch rail once, and decided they were way too thin, basically you're balancing the car on flimsy knife-edges. Instead I put my safety stands, front or rear, or both, at these points:

upload_2018-10-11_7-57-16.png

Just nitpicking: the specified curb weight is 3048 pounds, basically 1.5 tons. Maybe mixing up kilos and pounds?

#7 Mendel Leisk, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  8. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I solved that ridiculous problem by making my oil door detachable, using two short sheet-steel straps and six screws (of which only two must be removed to remove the door). Now there's no need to lift the car so high or remove the entire panel as Mendel loves to do.

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Removal of the full panel allows you to eyeball the CV joints and look for leaks.

I had a similar, albeit more severe issue with our previous Civic Hybrid: it had a large engine underpanel, thick/soft plastic, with a much more durable hinge point, so that you you could flip down the front half. The operative word though, was half: It was more-or-less impossible for a DIY'r with ramps or floor jack to get enough clearance for that bloody thing.

Manufacturers are not considering DIY'rs; just picture the car going up on a lift, as high as needed.

10. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    For oil changes and most other service, I use ramps made of 2"x8" lumber, like this. They're gradual enough that the front air dam doesn't hit them, but give me enough clearance to open the oil filter access door if I go 4 high (which is 6" since the nominal thickness is 1.5" per board)
    [​IMG]

05PreeUs and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's pretty nifty. I was thinking about something like this, but it's a better built one then I was thinking of. Thanks.

12. vendingtech

vendingtech Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Just adding my 2 cents. These work perfectly for me and have made it possible for a 6'1" 270lb man get under my wind up car. :)

13,000 Lb. Portable Vehicle Ramp Set
    Screenshot_20181027-204504.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

05PreeUs likes this.
  13. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks! I've been looking at getting something like this. But the ones I've seen are too steep of an angle and will damage
    the plastic trim. Do you have photos or a short video of your Prius riding up them? I have a 2010....

14. vendingtech

vendingtech Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I can get you one. Should be able to do so today.

15. vendingtech

vendingtech Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    As requested.

Video of the harbor freight ramps I use.

I show an under shot at one point and say something about the body pan. Derp, I meant the engine pan or skid plate. You get the idea. Nonetheless they work great for me and I just priced them today at harbor freight. 35 for inside track members. 39.95 for non but don't forget the 20 or 25% off coupons.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  16. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, but it's just a photo. It's not a video file....
    Wait,,, very weird... I can play it in my message, but not yours.. oh well, as long as it plays! THANKS!
    Man, that is SUPER close, but it works. Looks almost like it just might touch the body work.
    But not enough to do any damage. Guess those are on my list.
    Thanks a lot for making the video!

#16 ASRDogman, Oct 28, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  17. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I use the ramps and a single jack under the middle of the rear.

18. vendingtech

vendingtech Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Super close yes but nothing rubs that I can see and they work great. Without them my large self would not be working on this car.

19. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For situations that do not require tire removal, I use ramps. The only part that can be tricky is getting ones that have a gentle enough angle so as not to scrape the air deflector/bumper cover as you drive up.

20. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you NOT watch the video? Or read what he wrote?