1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ideas for a reliable alternative to Leviton - need help and ideas.

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by DianneWhitmire, Sep 4, 2012.

1. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I'm trying to research a different charging station ASAP - moving away from Leviton and using a different kind.

I am SO pissed at Leviton right now.... words cannot describe.
    Our charging station's been down for THREE WEEKS now. God help buyers who have a problem box & need help with getting it fixed or replaced.
    Their customer service DOES NOT ROCK ... and their replacement boxes (THREE) have been bad.
    Frankly, just GETTING things done as far as troubleshooting and getting them to honor their commitment and to treat this issue as important - it's been a huge eye opener to me..

Ya hearing me, Leviton (Robert)? You're in my crosshairs but you *were* warned.

I am not recommending them and am looking for alternatives.

Dianne

cwerdna and john1701a like this.
  2. Just think, how many future customer that you will have, that will be influenced by your negative comments. How stupid of Levitron. Maybe somebody above Robert can fix the problem............

3. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Andy, wiser words were never spoken, but we've been there and done that already now for two weeks ++.

As I said, this is an eye opener but its good to find out NOW.
    Now I can find a solution because there's no real excuse for the poor customer service they continue to offer.

It's better than being *married* to these guys with the technology and wishing I wasn't.

In the case of the Prius PlugIn, even if you cannot plug in, you still have a tank of gas available almost anywhere. For the Rav4 EV, when push comes to shove, and your Leviton box crashes, you are S O L.
    That aspect upsets me to no end. I won't recommend them.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What a pain.

Unfortunately, I cannot help. My interest in getting a charging-station faces the reality of moving. It doesn't make sense going to that effort, then having to do it again in a new garage.

I've been watching the GE Wattstation, hoping their next generation will ultimately mean Wi-Fi abilities that homeowners will be able to take advantage of. Being a real-world data junkie, charging info would be nice.

DianneWhitmire likes this.
  5. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Dianne, I use a GE wattstation with my PiP and I could not be happier with it. PM me if you'd like to talk more about it...

DianneWhitmire likes this.
  6. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks guys! Keep the suggestions coming. :)

7. I am lost, as usual. Why can't you use 110 V wall plug, in the meantime. Or do you believe you need 220 Volts, for a quicker charge. Hooking up 220 to your dealership or at home is relatively simple. Any Electrician can handle it, ( minus any beauracratic complications)

8. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the Schnieder EV2430WS, $800 at Home Depot, see link. Works well, and 30A capable (6.6KW), close to the 10KW the RAV4EV can use... If you need a true commercial 10KW capable EVSE, there are only a few choices, Clipper Creek CS-70 and above, or build your own (which I am doing as well with the OpenEVSE project, costs about $700 DIY for a 75A capable unit (18KW)

Home Depot:
    Search Results for EV charger at The Home Depot

Clipper Creek (excellent quality, but expensive): EV | Volt | Electric Vehicle Charging Station | ClipperCreek, CA

OpenEVSE project (DIY, but excellent design and works well): open-evse - Open Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) - Google Project Hosting
    30A OpenEVSE I built: EVSE_by_mwolrich - open-evse - A portable EVSE built with an Open EVSE board. - Open Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) - Google Project Hosting
    75A OpenEVSE design, I am building one now in preparation for a Tesla Model S in the Spring: EVSE_Example75A - open-evse - An EVSE built with a Open EVSE board. - Open Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) - Google Project Hosting

OpenEVSE now has an adjustable pilot signal that can be matched to your circuit ampacity, so if you build a portable unit, it can be used on whatever you find in the wild, be it a 20, 30, 40, or 50 Amp circuit.

9. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Andy, it takes 3+ hours to plug the car into the standard 110.
    I sell these things. Many of them.
    Our/My clients are not HERE for 3+ hours. It's very rare if they are here for more than 90 minutes, frankly. I have no idea what car they will pick most of the time when they are coming, so by the time the color or package is decided, the car would only charge for an hour or so... so no one is able to leave here with a full charge UNLESS I know in advance for certain which car they will choose.
    It's exciting to leave here with ability to roll 13-18+ miles (traffic willing) and use no fuel.
    Thanks for that buzz kill, LEVITON!
    I can't pre-charge everything ... it's best to charge the battery right before you start to drive the car. Plugging everything in also means they will drain slowly as they are moved around, too - and last thing zI want is for a plug to get left in a wall. My lot porters are great but there's always something. I prefer the "just don't mess with it till it's sold" feeling.. less to go wrong, less damage.
    Trying to keep all 50 cars here charged is not possible.

By the way, I charged everything that was coming in in Feb, March, April, May etc because it was all pre-sold and going out fast as greased lightning.... WHY should WE, as Carson Toyota, have to resort to this when we have a VERY pricy, OVERPRICED set up in the service garage that isn't working for three PLUS weeks now. We shouldn't be inconvenienced, nor should our customers. They should get their sorry ar$es out here and fix this no matter what it takes.
    --------------------------------------------------

cwerdna likes this.
  10. TY Dianne, crystal clear now, I can see it gets vastly more complicated with 50 cars. I wonder if the country's direction may change if we have a new President. Long term goals are almost impossible with our political system.

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ahh... Thanks for the explanation.

FWIW, Nissan dealers that sell Leafs (not surprisingly) use Nissan-branded Aerovironment units. I don't follow EVSEs that closely on mynissanleaf.com, but they seem reliable, unlike the Blink units from the Ecotality project. There's some discussion of various brands of EVSEs at My Nissan Leaf Forum • View forum - EVSE - Charging Equipment.

When I was last at a BMW dealer, I also saw a BMW branded version of the Aerovironment unit. Looked identical to the Nissan one except for the BMW "decoration" on the faceplate.

It's good that you're treating the batteries properly. Some Nissan dealers are torturing Leaf batteries by leaving them fully charged and topping them off. :( Some of them are in hot areas, which makes things even worse. :(

12. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm pretty happy with my Nissan-branded Aerovironment EVSE. It just simply works. If you do go with the Aeroenvironment units, be sure to order the units with the 25 foot cords to give yourself maximum flexibility. The 15-foot cord that came with my unit means I have to back into my driveway to plugin (I park in the driveway and the unit is mounted on the front of the garage).

One would think that with the number of PiP's available on the lot, Leviton shouldn't have any trouble finding a PiP to test whether the replacement unit(s) are working properly.

13. DLee

DLee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Toyota could come out with a combo charger cord. Either ~120V or ~240V. And there are ~120V 30A RV outlets they could accomodate, too. It is not rocket science, and most or all of the circuitry is already in the current cord. (The 30A RV accomatation is a little more complicated).

Maybe next year??

14. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks guys... keep the thoughts/ideas coming!

15. satija

satija Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Until you solve this issue for good, you can keep all of your new inventory charged up to 50-60% of the full battery charge. Then you can top off the batteries in 1-1.5 hours before selling. This way the batteries won't sit fully charged for a long time.

16. plugable

plugable Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    (+1)

17. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Easier said than done. The manpower to keep this up is horrendous.

18. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    My Leviton is fixed. Almost 4 weeks later. I have plenty of personal opinions on how this would have been a smoother and more immediate fix had they done what MANY of us would have done to be certain the box itself was the problem vs. the rest of the install/connection. I think after the 2nd replacement box was "bad" (or thought to be) - I'd have shot a high end technician out to troubleshoot immediately. (I'd have done it after box 1, but oh well)

I hope that's going to become their method for fix next time this happens to someone.

I'd like to thank the powers that be at my LA Region for stepping up and helping with this. Without their help and input, we'd still have a problem, I bet. Thanks ... a bazillion watt smile thanks! :)

19. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Dianne, I'm guessing the problem was not with the Leviton unit, but with the circuit/wiring/breaker feeding the Leviton box, and the problem only reared it's ugly head when something was plugged in for an extended period of time.

(sort of) Speaking of RAV4-EVs, I saw one yesterday on the road on I-280 up here in the Bay Area. Since it had MFG plates on it, I'm guessing it's a demonstrator/review model. Looked nice. My how the RAV4 has grown up all so big. I had a '96 bought new in June of '96. Drove that car for 9 years and 150K miles. Still see it being driven by the guy I sold it to 7 years later.

[email protected] likes this.