1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ideas to prevent unnecessary ICE startups in winter and rain

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by iplug, Oct 22, 2012.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'll have to try that. can you change temp in the genII while in acc mode?

2. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    I bought an electric 12v blanket from Amazon. It looks and feels nice but it hasn't been cold enough for me to use it yet. I plan to use it, when necessary on rare occasions, to supplement the heated seats in my Volt.

I find that I'm completely comfortable driving in 50F+ outdoor temperatures with the heater off if I turn the fan off and direct the air flow to the windshield and floor. A small amount of air flows naturally while driving but not enough to create any noticeable wind chill factor.

A single person gives off the heat equivalent of a 50-100W lightbulb. Other heat sources include the random interior electronics and display lighting. I usually only have problems with interior window fogging in the SF Bay Area when it rains and then only when the interior of the car gets damp due to wet clothes or an umbrella.

Just googling around briefly, I found an e-commerce site that gives a good overview of the various gadgets that are available. I haven't actually bought anything from them:

Portable Car Heater World – Top Rated Portable Heaters

3. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Rebound, all is well. It was 54 out on the this morning's commute and it rained last night. However, the windows did not need defrosting; but still, no ICE triggered with the "low" setting, AC on, and vents set to front window and floor. I think it was the front defroster button that is the main culprit.

4. slcMPG

slcMPG Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Try this pointed out the window. :p [​IMG]

iplug and Phausto like this.
  5. Phausto

Phausto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    slcMPG: me likey (as says Jon Stewart). At least until I pull up next to a "clean" diesel. (Funny how putting those two words next to each other really doesn't change much of anything.)
    Being in the Northwest, I am a fan of Rain-X. But I've not yet tried the companion product Fog-X. Anyone recommend it?

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sorry, but it's rather amusing to read "winter" comments from those who don't experience the real thing. Try driving a Prius in Minnesota. This will be my 13th winter doing that.

With the PHV, the plan is to simply block the lower-grille when the daily temperature drops & stays below 55°F.

I have already seen the warmup process to 145°F for heater use. That results in some EV replenish, a benefit often overlooked. Then the heater continues to run until coolant temp drops below 114°F. In the meantime, you see 999 MPG. What part of that isn't necessary when it's well below freezing?

Wait for the real-world data. Results will still show a clear improvement over the regular model.

7. slcMPG

slcMPG Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    One big thing to do to reduce the amount of fog on the windshield is to keep the inside clean. (won't hurt to clean the outside too) I clean the inside of my windshield a few times a year and it makes a big difference. Never tried Fog-x or anything like it.

8. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah, so what happens when you turn on the AC in -20 weather? It's probably warmer, for all I know.

It was 54 degrees this morning and I used the AC defrosting trick. My daughter complained that the car was too cold, even with the seat heaters. So I don't know how many times I'll keep doing this, but for those who absolutely don't want the engine to start, we have a solution.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you're daughter is anything like mine were, she wasn't dressed properly.:rolleyes:

10. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you have the seat warmers on hi or lo? I find the lo setting to be pretty useless even without AC on.

11. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    [​IMG]

I'm excited about the opportunity to find out with the plug-in... especially since the 2004 did better in extremes than some vehicles at their best in ideal conditions.

12. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I put them on High to warm up, and then on Low once they're warm. I don't think it would be comfortable on High for a long drive.

This car's seat heater works a lot better than the one I had in my BMW. Maybe it was the BMW's leather seats, but the Prius warms up very fast, in under a minute.

13. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Agree

14. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Has anyone noticed that a slip differential in the tires engages the ICE? I drove over a branch in the road and one wheel spun a little bit more than the other, and then I noticed the ICE was on. I am 99% sure I didn't throttle into power because this was at a crowded 4 way intersection. If it does cause ICE to start, make sure to go slowly when turning from a stop on wet surfaces.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks, haven't noticed anything.