1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Idle problems post maintenance (PCV, plugs, throttle body cleaning)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hearsay, Jul 20, 2015.

1. hearsay

hearsay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With an upcoming 5,000 mile road trip coming in 5 days, I've decided to tune up the car. The car is a 2008 with 131,000 miles. From what I could tell, the previous owner had not done any of these things. I installed Denso Iridum spark plugs, replaced PCV, cleaned the MAF, cleaned throttle body, changed the oil , and replaced transmission fluid. Most of the repair went well but now I've got idle problems. I tried not to soak the throttle body to death, but drove the car about 5 miles while there was a small puddle of cleaner below the plate that was cleaned. I got a bit smarter the next day, took the air filter housing completely off and was able to fully able wipe out the excess fluid with a cloth. Too late?

Now, the engine generally won't shut down at all at stops in the first 5 minutes of driving. After this, sometimes ICE will stop great at every stop once it's warmed up, other times it will not. Often it takes over 60 sec to shut off, other times 5 seconds, and other times it's instantaneous. I'm unable to find any rhyme or reason when it will shut off properly. I've read a few other threads where users have had problems post throttle-body cleaning. The advice is always to check to make sure all hoses are tight, unplug 12v battery for 10 min to reset ECU, or possibly just keep driving it until the system figures out your new carbon free state. I've driven around 30 miles now, and still haven't seen the ICE shut off like it should. Am I being too impatient, or is something else possibly wrong? I've also read that some of the leftover throttle body cleaner may have made it's way into the spark plugs?. I'm not sure if the 5 miles I drove it before better wiping down the throttle body was enough to gum up the plugs or not, and I'm slightly hesitant to take it all apart yet again.

Edit: I should add that I'm also having problems getting the typical 99.9 mpg when the foot is fully off the gas going downhill. Again, it seems quite random, sometimes doing it, sometimes not...

#1 hearsay, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    Sezy likes this.
  2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Nice maintenance.

So long as you did not foul the MAF with whatever you used to clean the throttle plate, I would expect the issues to resolve themselves pretty soon. My habit is to take the MAF out of its housing and clean it by putting it in a baggy with IsoProp and then swirling the liquid through the MAF for a minute. I let the MAF dry completely before I reinstall.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What did you clean MAF sensor with? I've heard regular carb cleaner will leave residue, you need MAF cleaner. Or isopropanol or ethanol in a pinch. Also, cleaning throttle body you should spray moderate amount of carb cleaner on cloth, not direct into throat.

#3 Mendel Leisk, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2006 has started doing what you're describing and I haven't done any recent maintenance to it. I just notice my HV battery seems weaker than normal. It could very well be temperature related as it's been 90+ degrees here for about a month now.

5. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I never ever do any maintenance before long trips (if the car is in normal condition, of coarse). Check oil, tire pressure, fluids, and then go.
    Too many things can go wrong.

- Alex

JC91006 likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how soon does your ice normally shut down?

7. hearsay

hearsay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Since I have only had the car for two weeks, I'd unfortunately not quite noticed the quality of the idling at stops. Now that I've done all of the work, I'm over-analyzing with no frame of reference.

I used proper MAF sensor cleaner for the MAF. The throttle body was cleaned while the MAF was removed so as to not contaminate the MAF.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my engine keeps running until it's fully warmed up, and of course, that depends on ambient temp.

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you have hit the nail on the head.

10. Sezy

Sezy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Mine is doing the same thing as OP after using carb and throttle cleaner spray. I have the puddle inside the intake too. Guess I'll grab some MAF cleaner only and see if that helps. Did yours eventually go away?

11. hearsay

hearsay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sezy, yes I'd say that the problem eventually "went away". In reality, I think that I didn't understand the Prius stages of operation and/or was being too sensitive. The car seems to behave like it should and I've driven about 8k since then. If you wipe the throat down really well with a non linty rag, it will be fine.

12. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As Sagebrush says, the problem should go away after the engine relearns your "new carbonless state."

I'll temper my statement with an example and a bit of a question. I had a problem with my non-hybrid vehicle after cleaning, the idle was terrible, worse than before I did the cleaning and the only reason I did the cleaning was because of the horrible idle.

I drove around for a couple of hours, no improvement, lived with it for a week or so, then, and I don't recall where this idea came from, I realized that driving was not idling and car was not going to quickly "learn" to idle if I was driving.

So, I started it in the driveway and let it idle for IIRC 30-45 minutes, something like that, and problem was solved.

Only issue, as far as I know, is that with the PRIUS, there is no way to force the ICE to idle for 30 minutes....maybe some of the pros here can discuss that?

13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is not necessary. If you want the engine ECU to reset, just disconnect the 12V battery for a few minutes, then reconnect. The ECU will do what it needs to do to develop and store new settings.

14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Put the car in Inspection mode and engine will run continuously at idle till you shut it off.

Youtube: Prius Inspection Mode. Its a series of button pushes that forces the engine on. It should idle smoothly till u turn it off. Sit there and listen how the engine behaves while watching it. If it won't idle smoothly or hiccups or wanders around after its warmed up you have an issue. Be aware this a very noisey engine top end wise. Alot less noisy with high quality 10-30 instead of the 5-20 weight everyone runs.

You did good on the maintenance but if you really want to make the car happy and see instant mileage improvement change the Inverter fluid. Its ridiculously easy and cheap and I do it every time I change the trans fluid every 35k miles. The Inverter fluid takes the most beating in a Prius.
    Dump it below next bolt over from the Trans fluid dump bolt. Fill it back up. Run plastic hose from bleed petcock to reservoir. Open bleeder.
    Done. Happy car. Everytime I do it zi get instant mileage bump. Inverter is heart & soul of this car.

Oh and I do the AC ECoil flush too since I got the car jacked up so high for the trans dump. Its rare I get the car up that high so I take advantage of it. I use Kool- It from Amazon.com. Makes the interior smell really pleasant.

I use Red Line Water Wetter additive too in the Inverter fluid. Car really likes it. Drops the Inverter temp a little and excellent anti corrosion. Since I'm in Florida I also bypassed the coolant line to the TB too. TB now runs about 95F instead of the 190F. Really extends the motor life and the car runs very peppy.

8 years later car still runs like a scalded cat.

Sezy likes this.
  15. Sezy

Sezy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Unplugged the battery for over 10 minutes and instantly better. Decided to add seafoam to clean any crud out by adding to to the air hoses connected to the throttle body. Poured rubbing alchol in the MAF sensor and shook to clean. Engine died a few times trying to figure out which tube it likes best. Got a check engine light. Let it sit over night and smoke came out the exhaust :ROFLMAO:. CEL came off with in the first hour of driving. MPG increased!!! Might get real MAF cleaner spray next oil change.

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah hopefully straight isopropyl alcohol: rubbing alchohol may have added oils.

If it says 99% it's a safe bet it's just alcohol. But everywhere has MAF sensor cleaner, probably right next to SeaFoam, lol.

Up here I see Canadian Tire has it.

Sezy likes this.