1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Idyllwild Camping in a Rented Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by machtwenty2, Jul 21, 2007.

1. machtwenty2

machtwenty2 New Member

Hi all, this is my first post, though I've been following this website for a while. A few weekends back I rented a Prius and took it on a camping trip. I wrote up a little review an posted it on my travel blog at SoCalTraveler.com. Just thought you all might be interested in my impressions, so if you get a chance take a look! I'd be very interested to hear everybody's feedback.

I did really enjoy driving the Prius, but I can't seem to come to terms with replacing my 3-year-old Mazda 3, which is a great car. The Prius would be a lot more fun on my commute and quite a bit more practical (I have the 3 sedan with a 5-speed), but it's hard to justify to my frugal sensibilities replacing a reliable, almost paid for car with a new one and a bunch more debt. But still, I see them driving around every day and always think, "I want one!"

Anyway, thanks for your time if you decide to read my little review.

2. BellaHMB

BellaHMB New Member

Loved your blog! Thanks for taking the time to post....We are going to Yosemite in 3 weeks and driving our new Prius. I have to admit Im a bit nervous about the mountains and our new "gem", but it does sound like it was ok.

Driving everyday is a whole lot of fun!! And good for the environment.

So when you are you buying one?? ;)

Victoria

3. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BellaHMB @ Jul 21 2007, 12:09 PM) [snapback]482785[/snapback]</div>
    I have no idea what you are talking about.

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doc Willie @ Jul 21 2007, 10:48 AM) [snapback]482825[/snapback]</div>
    You quoted BellaHMB, but the quote is actually from machtwenty2's blog. The full paragraph is:
    What he's referring to is EV mode, when the HV battery is propelling the car, and the yellow lines and arrows are going from the battery to the motor to the wheels. The speed limit for that is actually 42 MPH. I find dead-banding, with no arrows, to be more challenging and interesting.

5. machtwenty2

machtwenty2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BellaHMB @ Jul 21 2007, 09:09 AM) [snapback]482785[/snapback]</div>

Thanks Victoria!

It was no problem at all driving around in the mountains, even with our big load of stuff... Of course the speed limits weren't very high. It would be interesting to see how the Prius would do on Highway 70 in Colorado, where the pass is at (I believe) 11,000 feet. Sounds like a good excuse to take a road trip!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Jul 21 2007, 07:39 PM) [snapback]483004[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly right. I did find at times that I'd get all yellow arrows, even when going downhill on the freeway at high speeds, though only momentarily. I guess this is just an inaccuracy in the display?

Dead-banding is great fun... I loved that feeling of maintaining speed while using no energy at all.

6. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Welcome to PriusChat, machtwenty2! I liked your blog too. The MFD displays approximately what is happening. There's a little time delay and even dead-banding you can be using some battery if the ICE has to be spun, but it doesn't show. Sort of like how the HV battery is at 80% when the display shows solid green.

One reason you may want to consider buying a Prius is its very low emissions. That clear mountain air you loved would have been a little less clear if you had driven your Mazda. Yeah, I know, one person can't make that much difference, but there are now about a million Toyota hybrids on the road world wide, which does make a difference.

And if you like camping (shown on a Matrix but it fits a Prius):
    [​IMG]

7. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Jul 21 2007, 10:39 PM) [snapback]483004[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry for the misattribution.

I was referring to the reference to the "Star Trek" screen. You have to see my car to get the joke.