1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

If an 18 Year Old Can Do This...

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by DaveinOlyWA, May 12, 2009.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    here is an email i received about an EV cycle invented by an 18 year old which as we all know is fair competition for all the other transportation companies out there right?

How cool is this..... My first question was which end is the front.

From the photos below I think it will take a brave sole to want to go fast on this thing.

A young inventor has created a motorbike with a twist - it uses two wheels but they are positioned right next to each other, giving it the illusion of being a powered unicycle. And even better, it might help save the planet. Ben Gulak has spent several years building the electric Uno that uses gyroscopic technology - like the infamous Segway commuter device - to stay upright.
    The bizarre-looking contraption has only one switch - on or off - and is controlled entirely by body movement. The rider leans forwards to accelerate to speeds of 25mph and back to slow down. It has two wheels side-by-side and has been turning heads wherever it has been ridden.

Ben Gulak designed the Uno himself with the help of a simple 3D program The green machine is so small and light it can be taken indoors and carried into lifts - and is recharged by being plugged into the mains. The wheels are completely independent, allowing the bike to turn on a sixpence and the technology takes the balance and guesswork out of riding a unicycle.
    Its 18-year-old creator is now looking for investors to get the Uno into production and onto the streets. Ben, from Ontario , Canada , said: 'I was inspired to make the bike after visiting China a few years ago and seeing all the smog. 'They all drive little bikes that are really polluting and I wanted to make something to combat that. 'I started with the concept because if something doesn't look cool people just won't be interested.

The Uno works like a Segway - just tilt your body forward to start moving

Ben Gulak turns heads from onlookers as he rides past them 'After coming up with the concept I started to build it and now have the first prototype and the reaction has been amazing.
    'It has two wheels side by side and that means it is easier to turn as they are completely independent and have their own suspension.
    'The bike has a 'neutral point' and when you lean forward it accelerates to keep the neutral point in the right place.

'It has a couple of gyros and is basically self-balancing - it takes the guesswork out of riding a unicycle. 'The bike takes a bit of getting used to because you have to learn to trust it. But it doesn't take long.
    'It takes any weight and weighs 120 lbs and can fit into a lift so you can take it indoors to charge it up. 'Currently it has a top speed of 25mph, but that will be increased greatly with bigger motors.
    'It has a range of about 2.5 hours and it is designed for the commute to work through busy towns. I believe this could be electrical alternative to the car. I'm just looking for an investor to help me get it into production.

\|||/
    (@@)
    ooO_(_ )_Ooo________________________________
    _____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|
    ___|____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|____
    _____|_____ Ed Humphreys _____|_____
    Creator of The Eagle's View
    [email protected]

Attached Files:

2. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Interesting but I doubt it will go anywhere. It is basically a segway that one sits on instead of stands on. It has a larger footprint but the same performance. We have already had a major corporation present this idea (Segway) and it was effectively banned from use by regulations. (Can't use it on sidewalks because it is too fast but can't use it on roads because it is too slow.)

Still cool though.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It doesn't have to be slow. On the other hand, I don't want to go fast on one. Braking is my big concern. If you tried to stop fast, the whole thing would go end for end. The only way the gyros can prevent that is to prevent you from stopping quickly. The problem is inherent in the design.

Tom

4. prius2go

prius2go Member

The answer is to put one wheel in front of the other :rolleyes:

5. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    its slow, but its still transportation and maybe we need to look at regulations governing use of NEV's since this is simply a smaller version...

obtw, i know someone who has a segway. his range is much shorter making it ineffective for commuting and his speed is MUCH slower making it illegal to use on the roads around here.

otoh, NEV's are legal here, so your Segway argument does not work, at least here it doesnt

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Did you guys see the Dragon's Den video on the website?
    UnoCycle

7. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    For some strange reason, it reminds me of Mr. (Ms.) Garrison's invention when he (she) gets fed up by the airlines.

[​IMG]

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Is that for real? Did they really give the kid $1,250,000 for 20% of a company that consists of nothing but his concept, and presumably, any patents he's gotten on it? Not to mention the possibility that Segway might decide to claim he's violated some of their patents, since it sounds like he's using a similar balancing and control system.

And is it their own money they're investing, or are they reps from all those magazines listed on the web page, doing this as a promotional gimmick?

As for the uno itself, it looks cool, but it also looks uncomfortable. In the photo he appears to be almost upright, but in the video he's practically lying on his stomach on the thing with his legs curled under.

I really think an electric motorbike makes more sense for practical pollution-free transportation.

I'll give the kid credit for being a wiz, though.

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well, lets face it. i would not use it. too old, but for younger commuters living in very congested cities, i would think it ideal. parking is an expensive proposition in NY... u could take this with you, or at least lock it to something if going into a store or something.

but its an idea, an option we currently are not using and we still need to understand that what we are doing now HAS TO CHANGE

the video says it does 15 mph, the email says 25 mph. well 15 mph will not go on the streets and sidewalks are out.

10. lesturner

lesturner Taming the Dragon - Tennessee

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I would not want to be on that when a gyro failed... At least with most current vehicles, they just roll to a stop when they fail....

Can you say FACEPLANT!
    :bump2:

11. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've seen commercials for Dragon's Den on BBC but never watched it. Apparently they are venture capitalists and people pitch them ideas. That's all I know. It's not a gimmick specific for the Uno.

12. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Until it has room for one standard Harley chick, it's just a stunt.

1 person likes this.
  13. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Which means it's not a commuter vehicle. It's a toy. Probably a fun toy for people who like that sort of thing. But if it's not allowed on the street or the road, well, how do you use it to commute?

Meanwhile, there are street-legal electric motorbikes now, as I posted above, which are useful for commuting, if your commute is within their range. There's even an electric trike on the same page, for klutzes like me who cannot ride a bike without falling over.

I didn't think it was a gimmick for the Uno. I thought maybe it was a gimmick for those magazines.

The girl sits on your shoulders as you lay prone on the Uno. Hey, a girl who's not scared to ride a Hog at 100 mph without a helmet won't mind sitting on her boyfriend's shoulders at 15 mph. The real question is, would any self-respecting Harley chick get on a machine that only goes 15 mph? Or even 25? And doesn't make any noise.

14. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If we believe the intro to Dragon's Den these are real venture capitalist that put up their own money. I've watched the program a few times and this kid got off easy. Usually they absolutely grill the individual and want more than 50% of a company.

Yes, the kid actually gets $1.25 million to set up a research facility. However since all 5 "dragons" are in on the deal each is only putting up $250,000. The intro goes over the area of expertise and net worth of each "dragon". The dragons rotate but I've never seen one with a net worth of less than $100 million.

15. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks for the clarification. He's obviously a bright kid, on the way up. Maybe his next invention will be something useful.

P.S. Don't be surprised at his age. He's right at the start of the "window" where scientists do their seminal work. Newton would have been about 22 when he invented the calculus, in order to have the necessary mathematical "language" in which to describe gravity. Einstein would have been about 26 when he published his first paper on relativity, but I'm guessing he'd been developing it for a few years (while working as a clerk in the patent office).

I'd say 18 is about the right age for this sort of aptitude to show up.

16. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    daniel if we could recognize "something useful" or better yet "something marketable"

we would be as rich as the people on that show. i cant tell you how much stuff that has come out where i simply could not see the appeal, but they were successful anyway.

for the dense urban city dweller where parking is a premium, there will be a market. might be pizza delivery, courier services, etc, something, but at 120 lbs, it becomes valuable in cramped over-built places

17. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Yes, I realized a long time ago that I am a very bad judge of what will be popular and make money vs. what will be shunned and destined to fail for lack of interest.

The current example: Twitter - I do not understand the appeal of this. I signed up for an account to get job hunting tips by Twitter, and I eventually stopped reading them because I couldn't stand trying to decipher what people were trying to say. I'm used to writing and speaking in complete sentences.

18. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    twitter i can see especially if you have a lot of users. a few on there for example, David Pogue is a tech writer for the NY Times. he frequently asks questions concerning user experiences on various items he is researching. great way to get immediate input.

but again, that only works if you have a large following. as with all systems and ideas, not everyone uses the technology in the best or wisest way and that seems to apply to Twitter more than anything at least up to this point.

but what i am talking about to a lesser extent is like the Hula Hoop (granted does have some exercise benefit) then there are others i simply have no comment over (mood rings, pet rocks, etc)

but what about explosive items like the ipod... its seems a no brainer now and its popularity has simply created a 5 fold increase in media available to it making all that more useful. but i remember very clearly when it was introduced. it was WAAAY over priced and never thought it would do more than a niche business and the only option was music purchases from the i-tunes store... well, it pretty much single-handedly destroyed the music store business

now ya know why Steve Jobs makes the money he makes (he is on my VERY short list of executives that feel are worth more than a few hundred thou a year. he makes 10 time more money for his company than what they pay him)

19. SteveWantsaPrius

SteveWantsaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have had a pair of Auranthetic "Charger" electric motorcycles for many years. They were made back in the 1970's by a company in Burbank, California. They have an American Bocsh PM motor and use two group27 deep cycle lead-acid batteries wired in series. The speed control consists of a 3-position toggle switch that is attached to the twist-throttle and a pair of 24 volt relays. Basically a heavy street-legal minibike. On a full charge, the accelleration is quite brisk. EV enthusiasts may remember the "Charger" cycle. It was a fairly successful production EV back in the 1970's when mopeds were popular.

20. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Cornering power also appears to be quite limited. It's narrow enough a track that it will need to lean like a motorcycle for corners. The size and arrangement of the hardware looks like lean would be fairly limited.

It also has very little resistance to spinning around the vertical axis, I expect it would be prone to spinning easier than other vehicles in corners if things don't go right.

Then combine the two, a max effort corner under power and loss of traction on one wheel would result in a spin and that would put you at the wrong lean angle, most likely faster than the control system could respond. Splat!

It looks like a flawed solution in search of a problem. I would be glad to be proven wrong, but don't expect that to happen.