1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

If hybrid battery dies, can I continue to drive the car?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by old97s, Jan 9, 2010.

1. old97s

old97s New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One night while driving, 5 lights lit up on my 2001 prius, with 83,000 miles. The only 2 that I can remember are the picture of battery with "main" superimposed and the exclamation in triangle. The car seemed to drive fine for the next approximately 15 miles during its trip to the dealer. The dealer says that it needs a new hybrid battery and a new regular battery. I asked what the error codes were and he told me P3000 and P3021. The battery system is no longer under warranty. So, could I just request to disconnect and remove the hybrid battery and drive it using the regular engine?
    I have a Honda Insight and its battery failed, so the dealer just disconnected it and I drove it for 4 days while the parts came in. It drove fine during that time but I got about 4MPG less than usual.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No. If there's no traction battery, there's no power available to spin MG1, and therefore there's no way to start the gasoline engine.

The Honda hybrid design is not as elegant as the Toyota design, and the Honda hybrid pieces are basically pasted on. The good news with that design is that the Honda is fault-tolerant and as you learned, can function without the hybrid system.

Although the Toyota hybrid design is quite elegant, every piece must function for the system to operate. Therefore, there's no fault-tolerance.

Andyprius1, dave77 and old97s like this.
  3. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Even on a Honda, there is some disagreement if you should drive with a dead traction pack...it would stress the 12volt battery and you would have to recharge it overnight as if the IMA motor is out....it's the alternator.

FYI

dansiantamour likes this.
  4. old97s

old97s New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Patrick,
    Thanks so much for the quick reply. If you are correct, there will be no more Prii in my future. I'm going to get all of the exact details of the repair estimate to see if it would make sense to have it replaced. Yesterday he itemized:
    Battery - $2299
    wire - $129
    junction box - $85
    hybrid relay - $749
    computer - $1172
    plug - $97
    thermistor - $140
    regular battery - $140

He told me the computer may not need to be replaced, but do you think all of these things normally need replaced when the hybrid battery fails?
    I also need to find out how long the warranty will be on these things.
    I asked if I could have the old battery back if they replace it and he said he'd have to check on that. I have read that Toyota pays the dealers $200 for the old batteries; is that true?
    I hate to only come to priuschat when I have a problem, but my car has been trouble-free since buying it used almost 4 years ago.

1 person likes this.
  5. old97s

old97s New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Chuck,
    I didn't have any problem with my insight during those 4 (or maybe 5) days that I drove it with the battery disconnected. I didn't sense a lack of power and I never had to jumpstart it. Like I said earlier, just a drop of about 4MPG.
    My average lifetime mileage in the insight is 46.something. Except for the battery being replaced under warranty, I haven't had any problems (except for minor ones like the hydraulic prop things that hold up the hatchback broke and my rearview windshield wiper broke) with it since I bought it used in 2004 with 10,000 miles on it.

1 person likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    First, replace the 12 VDC battery. Then have the car started and drive it for three short trips around the dealership ... full power off each time. Then drive back to the dealer and ask them to read out the voltages of all 19 modules. Be sure to post the values here.

The 12 VDC battery runs the control computers. When it gets marginal, it can cause false errors to show up. The true test of a failed traction battery is to have all 19 module pair voltages.

Bob Wilson

7. old97s

old97s New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob, Prius master,
    Thank you so much! I have never replaced the 12V battery. I will follow your advice and let you know how the toyota dealer (and my car) responds to my requests.

Annette Carroll and KimPrius3 like this.
  8. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    old97s,

I'm glad to hear your Insight could run without the IMA - I've heard conflicting reports.

KimPrius3 and old97s like this.
  9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Such a small battery lasting that long is amazing. You certainly were doing something right.

Most definitely replace it. That will hopefully cure your ails.

KimPrius3 likes this.
  10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Worst case, you might be able to find a Gen1 battery somewhere at a salvage or online. I know there is someone who rebuilds them. Well, I know he rebuilds the Insight Gen1 batteries and was talking about getting into the Prius batteries. He was at Hybridfest and I don't remember his name but I'm sure someone would remember.

KimPrius3 likes this.
  11. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Seen quite a few who thought their traction battery was cactus when all that was needed was a 12 volt auxiliary battery. Good luck with this.

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    its very interesting that disconnecting the traction battery on an insight only reduces mileage by 4 mpg... but that is probably the reason it gets only low 40's.

its conceivable that the traction battery on a Pri could die while moving and still be able to drive, but your mileage will probably be cut in half. The Pri, besides maxing out on the ICE for torque, would also be dumping charge back to the battery for nothing.

i am guessing you would be lucky to get 25 mpg that way

13. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have had 2 of them, one was a 2001 and I also currently own a 2010 Insight. In both cases, they can run with the IMA switched off (it has a breaker in the rear) but not only will you lose fuel economy, but the car has significantly less horsepower. It actually sounds funny starting one because normally the engine is started by the IMA but when it is off, there is an auxiliary starter motor and it sounds just like a regular car at that point.

As for the Prius.. I do not see what all that stuff is necessary to replace, especially the relays.

14. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can start by replacing the 12V battery, but I doubt that is causing the DTC that your car logged - so you'll probably end up replacing the traction battery if you decide to keep the car.

Unless the battery has leaked electrolyte everywhere (which would have caused DTC P3009) I doubt that the other parts need to be replaced. If your dealer maintains that they need to be replaced, I suggest you visit to see what they look like.

The warranty duration on replaced parts will be one year.

1 person likes this.
  15. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It is probably a 'worst case' estimate that assumes more than just the battery modules have to be replaced.

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  16. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder how Insight 12V battery get charged without the HV battery.
    My understanding is the Insight does not have an alternator and the 12V battery is charged by DC-DC converter using HV battery same as Prius.

So, when the HV battery was disconnected, what happens then?

Ken@Japan

1 person likes this.
  17. priushippie

priushippie New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I can't believe that the traction battery is gone already. Take it to another dealer. A second opinion would seem to be in order. Then replace the 12V battery on your own as suggested by Patrick Wong.

KimPrius3 likes this.
  18. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    The OP states it a Gen I with 83K miles. They DO go bad sometimes. However, the 12v battery is definitely worth looking into before calling the HV battery bad.

19. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The replacement battery part only contains the actual battery modules. The other parts - except the 12V 'regular' battery - are contained in the same steel box and have to be transferred from the old battery case to the new one, or new ones fitted.

I wouldn't replace any of them unless there is a really good indication that they've failed.

See Installing a Prius HV Battery (Art's Automotive) and Gen 1 Prius Battery Failure (Luscious Garage) for the thoughts of a couple of independent garages.

KimPrius3 likes this.
  20. mrmose

mrmose New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I

had the same problem in Septgember of last year and Toyota replaced the battery and payed for the towing. The total bill was around $4K and I believe they used this warrenty repair to maximise their profits. there is a guy who sells remanufactured batteries for the generation one prius on eBay for around $1,100.00.

I believe that he is in North Carolina and will even install them for a fee. I dont know what the in service date of your car is (mine was December 2000) and I was made aware that Toyota extended the warrenty to 10 years or 120K miles for the hybrid system. I would make sure that yours is out of warrenty before looking for alternatives like the remnufactured battery.

I know this is a maximum bummer, but this is the best info that I can offer. By the way, once the new traction battery was installed, I started getting about 4 MPG better than the last year of the previous battery life.

Good luck!

KimPrius3 likes this.