1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

If hybrid battery dies, can I continue to drive the car?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by old97s, Jan 9, 2010.

1. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I brought my 01 battery back to life after sitting for 2 years, i had the MAIN +- error and the car would not start, the battery lasted roughly 3-4 years after and now im on the NHW20 pack.

As far as the Honda system goes, when I first started my Accord Hybrid my hybrid battery was dead, and i had the IMA lights and such, the engine didnt have as much power and the transmission lights were blinking. It drove normally.

2. old97s

old97s New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't want to post the specifics about our car and the dealer until we got the car back. So on friday, 1/29 (92 days after taking the car to the dealer) we got it back. The following is a letter and then a timeline of what has happened:

Tom Rohrich, President
    Automobile Dealers Association
    Rohrich Cadillac
    2116 West Liberty Avenue
    Pittsburgh, PA 15226

Dear Sir:

My car has been sitting at Rohrich Toyota’s West Liberty Avenue Service Department since October 27, 2009 awaiting repair and I was notified on Wednesday, January 5th that the car has been untouched during all that time! I have outlined below an account of this situation and ask for your intervention in this matter.

In April 2006, my daughter and I purchased a pre-owned 2001 Prius from Shults Ford in Harmarville, PA. Initially I took the car for routine maintenance to Spitzer Toyota which was close to my Murrysville home. Based on a good friend’s recommendation of Rohrich Toyota’s service department, we began taking the car to Rohrich for service. Although we never encountered any major problems with the vehicle, we brought the car in for the services recommended by Toyota at regular intervals, had the car inspected there, purchased new tires, etc.

On the evening of Monday, October 26, 2009, while I was driving home from work, the Prius’ computer screen displayed multiple warning lights. I asked my daughter, Joanna, to call the next morning and schedule an appointment with Rohrich Toyota’s service department. She was given an appointment and brought the car in the next day, Tuesday, October 27. She signed a form authorizing repairs up to $86. She was told that we would be contacted when the problem was diagnosed and, if the amount of the repair exceeded that cost, obtain our OK to proceed with the repairs.

During the time the car was in for repair, Joanna or I would call about twice a week and ask for information and updates on the car. When we called the main number and asked for the service department, we were usually directed to Chris as the person who knew what was happening with it. Chris explained that the problem appeared to be with the brake recapture system and Rohrich was working with Toyota headquarters and getting recommendations on what needed to be done to fix the problem. Each time we called for information, we were told that the problem was still being investigated and worked on but was not yet resolved. My daughter asked if we were going to be charged for all the time being spent to diagnose the problem because we had not been asked to authorize more than the initial $86 amount. She was told that until a complete diagnosis was made and the service department knew what was involved to repair it, we would not be billed for anything additional. At one point during this time, we were told that since the problem was with the hybrid system, it would be a warrantied repair.

Weeks stretched into a month, then another month, and with each contact with the service department we were told that although they were still working on the problem, it was not yet resolved. We were offered the use of a rental car midway through this period but declined because my daughter had been laid off her job and I was able to use the other car we owned to go back and forth to work. Just before Christmas, Chris offered us a rental car once again because things that had been tried to remedy the problems were not completely successful and there was still one warning light coming on when it was tested. I told Chris we were still managing with the other car and Chris said he would be back in touch after the Christmas holiday.

On Tuesday, December 29, I spoke to Chris about the car and he said that someone from Toyota would be coming in on Monday or Tuesday, January 4th or 5th, 2010 and that he would have an answer for us by Tuesday, January 5th. He said that if the car could not be repaired, we may be offered some options such as a buy back from Toyota. I asked Chris if the offer of a rental car still stood because this was becoming a real hardship with just one car and my daughter was set to start back to work at the beginning of January. He said he would make arrangements for a rental car that day, December 29th through Enterprise, which he did. He said we would be hearing from him on Tuesday, January 5th about what was decided.

On the morning of Tuesday, January 5th, a message was left on my cell phone while I was in a meeting at work. It was from Tom in Rohrich’s service department and he requested that I return his call. When I heard the message, I thought that this was the call Chris told me to expect and that Tom was calling to discuss the situation and our options. Imagine my surprise when Tom (I later learned this was the Assistant Service Manager, Tom Trebon) asked what my car was doing on the lot because it was creating difficulty with snow removal. I told him that it had been with the Rohrich service department since October 27th, 2009 while they were trying to diagnose and repair the problem and said that I didn’t exactly know how it came to be where it was currently parked because it had been left in their care the entire time. Tom wanted to know what kind of problem I was having with the car and what I had been told by the service department. I told him about the warning lights that came on and the brake recapture issue with the hybrid system that they were working to resolve. I suggested that Tom might want to talk to Chris for further explanation since he was the last person with whom I had dealt. I asked if he could put me through to Chris because Chris had assured me that he would be contacting me that day. Tom said Chris was in Florida. I said I thought that was very odd because Chris specifically promised to call me on Tuesday, January 5th. Tom stated that Chris was on vacation and had expected to be back but his flight was delayed.

On Wednesday, January 6th, Keith Kinger, Service Manager, phoned and said that the service department had examined the car and it needed a new hybrid battery and a regular battery. I was flabbergasted when told that the car had not been worked on in the two+ months it had been there, especially since Joanna and I had been in regular contact with the service department during this time. I asked how the car could have been there that long and no one ever noticed it or asked for an explanation of why it was there so long. I was told that there is some follow-up to check on old workorders, but in this case no work order was ever put through (which of course I would have had no way of knowing or reason to suspect that this had not happened). This also puzzled me because when I called 412-344-6012 and asked to be connected to someone in service regarding my 2001 Toyota Prius, I was always put through to someone who seemed to know about the car and answered my questions. I asked if I could speak to Chris and was told he no longer works there. At this point I was quite upset and asked whether management was not responsible for oversight of the department and whether employees were not accountable to management for their work. I was told that, as all companies do, they place a certain amount of trust in their employees and they occasionally disappoint. I asked if the reason Chris was no longer with the department was because of my service issues and was told it was. Upon further reflection, I felt that there must have been a significant error within the service department for Chris to be fired and apparently a real communication problem within the department and/or a lack of policies and procedures. I feel that ultimately the “buck should stop†with the Service Manager.

Looking back on this entire episode, I feel that the trust I placed in Rohrich Toyota’s service department was totally violated. I truly believed that they were working hard and diligently to solve the problem and treat me fairly. I strove to be reasonable and patient during this process. I took excellent care of my vehicle and it was always well-maintained. Rohrich Toyota is supposed to get back with me today, January 7th, about what, if anything, can be done to help me get my car back in good repair and operating condition at a reasonable cost given these extenuating circumstances. I am anxiously awaiting a call.

Sincerely,
    Rebecca Hohman and Joanna Hohman

1/8/2010 The meeting that I requested was held at Rohrich Toyota at 4:30 pm. The first thing Keith Kinger told us after brief introductions was that he told us incorrectly that Chris Adams was fired. I asked if Chris could sit in on the meeting, but Keith said he was gone for the day. We proceeded to Mark Podrosky’s office where Mark, Keith, Joanna and I had our meeting. I asked if they would read along with the copies of the letter I brought so that they could understand the situation from our vantage point and make sure we were all on the same page. They agreed that the account in the letter was accurate, said they could offer no explanation of how the car could have sat on their lot for 2 ½ months untouched, and why there was no documentation on the vehicle. Joanna asked for a breakdown of the parts and service costs to get our Prius repaired, but Keith did not have a written estimate and only verbally gave the parts and service estimate which Joanna hastily wrote down. He did say that Toyota was willing to contribute $2000 toward the cost of a new hybrid replacement battery. At the end of the meeting, I asked if I should keep the rental car we had since 12/27/09 while we decided what we wanted to do. Mark said to keep it, that it was not like they were paying Enterprise for the rental. I told Mark we had a $30/day rental from Enterprise that was arranged and paid for by Rohrich Toyota. Mark said for us to return it and arranged for the use of a loaner from Rohrich (a 2010 Toyota Prius).

1/11/2010 I called Keith and asked that a written estimate of the costs for parts and service be prepared and mailed, e-mailed, or be picked up in the service department that evening. It was e-mailed to me on 1/11/2010 and included a handwritten $2000 amount that we were told Toyota promised as goodwill toward a new hybrid battery. I called Keith back and authorized him to replace the 12 V battery.

1/13/2010 After work at 5:00 pm, my daughter and I set out for Rorhich Toyota. Traffic was heavy and we did not get to the dealership until about 5:30 and the service department closes at 6:00. Joanna ran into the service department and asked if the 12 V battery had been replaced in our Prius. The person at the service desk just happened to be Chris Adams and he could not find any documentation or repair order on the car to be able to tell us what had been done. Joanna asked if she could drive the car around the block a few times to test how it was behaving. It started and ran fine but all the warning lights were on, the same as when we brought the car to the dealer on October 27th. Since it was closing time for the service department and there seemed to be no paperwork for repair(s), we gave the car back to Chris and left.

1/14/2010 I e-mailed Mark Podrosky and Keith Kinger and asked if I could have the contact information of the person from Toyota who authorized the $2000 toward the hybrid battery as I had some questions. He responded that the decision was made by the Toyota District Service Manager and if we have any further questions, we should contact Toyota customer relations at 1-800-331-4331.

After contacting Toyota headquarters to get confirmation that they would contribute $2000 toward the replacement of the battery, they also offered $1000 toward the replacement of anything that was needed. So I authorized the repair even though I don't have anything in writing. I asked the dealer if I could have the old battery and he said that toyota headquarters wants it because it is a safety hazard. I also asked if we could have any other old parts that were replaced and Rohrich told me that they need to keep them for at least 90 days since toyota headquarters was paying for part of their cost. I said that that would be great and that I would contact them in 90 days after the repair to reclaim the old parts. I ask both because I'm curious about what the parts look like and because I don't really trust that they replace what they say they replace.

On friday, 1/29, I received a call that the car was done and that the computer didn't need replaced, but all the other parts listed on the estimate needed replaced because they were inseparable due to the sealing that was done during the "campaign". So the total for us was $1444 and if toyota headquarters reimburses the additional $1000, it will have cost us $444. The receipt doesn't mention a warranty on parts (my mom picked up the car; I would have insisted on a written 1-year warranty on all parts replaced before paying), however there is a standard disclaimer on the estimate that says the only warranty is provided by the manufacturer (and I don't have anything in writing from the manufacturer).... So all I can do is hope nothing fails in the next year, or longer! My mom drove the car about 30 miles since picking it up on friday and it seems to be back to normal.

Sometime in late november, my mom got tired of waiting for the car to be fixed, so she bought a 2010 honda insight. We have put about 1200 miles on it and its average mileage is 36.1 and we drive conservatively and with "ECON" on all the time. For the last 2 weeks when my mom drove the 2010 loaner prius, she got 40 mpg.

Thanks so much for all of your replies and Bob, I'm sorry I didn't ask the dealer to read the codes after taking it for 3 trips. I wouldn't have believed anything that that dealer told me. I wanted to take the car to another dealer, but my mom insisted that it stays there and they fix it.

So, do you think we should get much better mileage with a new battery? I'll let y'all know in a few weeks once we put more miles on it.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Wow! What a tale of woe!

You sure that wasn't Bill Penny ... Wait their service department is OK, it is the sales folks I don't care for.

You have my sympathies.

Bob Wilson

4. mrmose

mrmose New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    What a Tale,
    A couple of observations:

• Your Toyota Dealership sucks in every way! for a car to go that long with out a fix, there is no excuse. Toyota paid for a new traction Battery in our 2001 Prius to the tune of $4,400.00 including the cost of towing last September.
    • Your car, like mine, should have been covered by the 10 year, 120K mile warrenty and there should not have been any cost to you what so ever. I would make my way to the owner of this dealership in writing while sending a copy to Toyota every step of the way.
    • You should wee a 4-5 MPG increase once the Battery breaks in. this will take a couple of weeks of consistent driving. the new battery will hold more of a charge for a longer time and that will run the electric motor for a longer period of time.
    Good luck to you and I am glad your ordeal is over.

MrMose

KimPrius3 likes this.
  5. bobofky

bobofky Member

Here is my experience when the hybrid battery failed on my 2001 Prius in January 2009. At the time I had a job delivering drugs and medicine to route of nursing homes. My wife and I had just picked up the medicine for the route. She was driving. The car went into neutral, the engine sped up a bit, and the headlights got really bright. The car would not respond to the accelerator but would move at less than 10 mph. I told her to pull over, shut the engine off, wait a minute or so and restart. She did and it ran fine for about 45 minutes when it repeated the failure. We completed the 200 mile run. When a failure occurred, we did the restart routine and it would last from 30 to 45 minutes.

The next day I took it to my mechanic who diagnosed it as a failing hybrid battery. I ordered a new one from the Toyota Dealer where I bought the car. It took almost six weeks to arrive. In the meantime my mechanic tinkered with the car moving it around. It finally got so it wouldn't pull itself out of the garage. The car had 197000 miles when the battery failed.

My wife's sister has an identical car. In Septermber 2009 the hybrid battery in her car failed at 127000 miles with the same symptoms. It appears that the life of a hybrid battery is time dependant, not miles. I expect that 8 years is about the length that a Gen 1 battery will last.

So, you can drive the car for a short period when a battery is failing. If the battery is completely dead then the car will not operate.

KimPrius3 likes this.
  6. KimPrius3

KimPrius3 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hybridfest?!?! When, where, who, how?? :cool:

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  8. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry, I retired the Hybridfest/Green Drive Expo events a few years ago.
    That said, if you have a Honda Insight, we still have an annual InsightFest. This year's is in Indiana and we hope to have 100 Insights there!

9. Andres V

Andres V Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I'd really like to drive around in my Prius just with the gas engine while I'm saving up to buy a new battery too. I'm worried that the gas engine isn't strong enough to pull the car around on its own for extended time. Do do you people think?

10. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Someone correct me if i'm wrong but if the HV battery is bad there is no power to the 12V battery.
    The HV battery powers the converter which takes high voltage DC and charges the 12V battery.
    I didn't say inverter.

11. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You cannot drive it on gas engine alone.
    The HV system is too integrated.

Older Honda Insights (2000-2006) can be driven on gas alone with some wiring modifications, but not Prius.

12. Denis Wiseman

Denis Wiseman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I watched a YouTube video on a gen 1 Prius and demonstrated that it did run on a dead HV battery but MPG was obviously diminished.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can you link that? does the ben 1 have a regular starter motor?

14. Denis Wiseman

Denis Wiseman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    It was a Gen 2 but here it is.

gring40 likes this.
  15. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    At what point with a "Dead Hybrid Battery" does the 12 V. battery quit getting charged? The term dead I am sure is not
    "0" volts but rather voltage that is considered too low to run the car.

16. vickryan

vickryan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello. I found it greatly concerning when you wrote "i have never replaced the 12 V battery." I might change my Prius car battery every 2 years. (I think the warranty is for 2 years) On my old cars, my previous cars that i owned in my life, i recall buying a car battery every 5 years. Maybe even 7 years. My point is, this Prius battery runs out quickly. 2 yrs is too short. Just FYI. So, replace with a new battery often! As for the hybrid traction battery, that one's expensive to replace, i heard, and i also heard that sometimes its possible to replace one cell at a time, sometimes only 1 cell goes bad. I heard a cell costs ~$800 and the whole thing costs about $4000. My regular 12V battery was replaced at a local shop in about 5 minutes (the guy was crazy fast) and he charged me $210 in cash. I'm very happy. It has 2 yr warranty.

bisco likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the hybrid battery is about $2,000. and a cell (module) is only a few bucks. but you can't just replace it, you have to rebalance the battery, which is very time consuming and takes a lot of expertise to do it properly. after all the labor, unless you do it yourself, you're better off buying a whole new battery.

18. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're taking issue with something someone said 9 years ago, in a discussion on a Gen 1. Considering that this subject has to be one of the most talked to death subjects over the years, perhaps it is better to leave sleeping dogs, lie.

Your post has nothing to with the topic (If the hybrid battery dies, can I continue to drive the car?) of this post either. (If the hybrid battery dies, can I continue to drive the car?)

Seeing as you raised it, as far as what you posted, my 6-year-old battery (as just one example) is doing just fine and I have no intention of replacing it anytime soon, not while there is good life left in it. Yes, you are right, 2 years is too short, and it suggests there is something you are not doing right.

Wasting money, resources and clogging landfills replacing batteries unnecessarily is boarding on criminal, in this day and age.

19. twiffoid

twiffoid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have driven my 2002 without HV, to get it to the HV battery store. To make matters worse, it was a flood day. Well, it was rather like driving a riding mower. To go even 40, rpm had to WAY up. So, with all the ponding, I drove slow. But finally got my replacement HV, and performance has been primo ever since.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

20. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    If I have a failing hybrid battery and I need to drive the car 45 minutes to the dealer for the hybrid battery replacement, could I do the following:

1. Switch on the car and wait for the engine to start for warm-up.
    2. Right after the engine starts, disconnect the hybrid battery by removing the orange disconnect plug from the hybrid battery.
    3. Assuming the engine continues to run, drive the car at slow speed (<50 MPH) to the dealer.