1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

If I Drive a Prius, Will I need to be a more patient person?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by yyyiiikes, Oct 10, 2011.

1. glennhl

glennhl Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Can't believe you got attacked for this posting. I agree with you 100%. And while the Prius is no hot rod, it has sufficient power to drive "quickly." I'm getting to work sooner with a lot less horsepower mainly because I'm now allowed to use the carpool lane. The only trouble is that driving "quickly" yields me around 45 mpg. I can't imagine how slowly you have to drive to average over 55 mpg!!! But even without the carpool lane I can get through traffic without much fuss. It's a very nice little car. :rockon:

1 person likes this.
  2. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    0 to 60 in about 9.5 seconds. You will not win any races. I moved from a 5 second 0-60 BMW. The Prius is fun in a different way. It is all about maintaining and managing momentum. In power mode it pulls surprisingly well.

I like seeing 55mpg rather than 85mph

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's a beautiful way to put it.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    65 mph should get you 55 mpg.

5. glennhl

glennhl Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yea, but if I go 65 on I10, through the middle of Phoenix, I'll get run over!!! Especially in the carpool lane. :D

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When I was a carpool lane regular (before Prius), 60-62 was just fine. A substantial critical mass of us made sure of it, so the few speedballs had to use the regular 'fast' lane.

Not once did a transit bus catch up to us. If we didn't want to go their speed, we just pulled right, into the normal passing lane, and passed them.

7. glennhl

glennhl Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That doesn't work during rush hour when the normal lanes are always slower than the carpool lane. If I can not keep up with the flow of traffic in the carpool lane then I will pull to the right. I do not want to be one of those Prius drivers that other people hate clogging the fast lanes. Even in a faster car I've always gone by the creed that it's not my job to slow down other drivers. I leave that to the Police or Patrolmen out there.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    you didn't say how old you are, but I'll assume in your 30s?

8 years ago I could have written this very same post almost word for word. I had a Ford Expedition with a 450HP engine, I drove 10mph over the limit and was super frustrated when I'd get behind someone even going the speed limit. I was, and still am, a Type-A personality. I enjoyed going faster and felt that the speed limits were set far too low in most places.

On the 20th of this month my Prius will be 8 years old. My driving personality has changed dramatically. Not b/c I have to due to the car, but b/c the car encourages, in many ways, one to become a more patient driver.

I find that by being a more efficient driver that my commutes take just a few minutes longer, but that I'm no longer frustrated, anxious or angry at other drivers on the road even when I'm cut off. I arrive to work/home/wherever more relaxed, less tense and more ready to hit the ground running without first having to decompress.

I enjoy the "video game" aspect of achieving higher fuel economy. I like knowing that I'm a safer driver by allowing greater following distance and that I'm not wasting gas by surging to stop lights just to end up sitting and waiting.

I can't promise your experience will be the same. Indeed I have friends on PC and elsewhere that were Type-A aggressive drivers before the Prius and still are with their Prius. you won't be greatly hobbled by the vehicle in any case, but you may find that it has a calming/relaxing/theraputic effect on you--as it did me.

2 people like this.
  9. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hmmm, when I was in Phoenix, you couldn't touch 65 on I10 in the middle of rush hour no matter what you tried. It was a freaking parking lot that would move slowly, then up to about 50, back to slow. When I was heading out of PHX to come home, I managed 65 in the regular lanes without any problems. Isn't the speed limit 60 anyway in the city limits on I10?

10. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Usually any vehicle towing a trailer is required to stick to the right two lanes and go no faster than 55 mph. I don't think it's universally observed. Trucks that are fully laden will usually not go very fast. You can tell which trucks are empty because they can go 70 mph. It's funny because sometimes I say to myself "that truck is going faster than I want to go".

I don't know if this applies to light vehicles with a trailer. Generally speaking, I am annoyed when a vehicle/trailer combo is in the carpool lane or fast lane because I believe the rule is they should stay in the right two lanes.

Rule of thumb:

# 1. If a big rig is passing me on the right, it's time to speed up.

# 2. If I'm behind the big rig, I either have to accept its speed, or pass.

Basically I want to do my best to keep traffic flowing. Inverting traffic is not useful.

11. glennhl

glennhl Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Excellent advice!

1 person likes this.
  12. glennhl

glennhl Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry I wasn't clear. It's only the carpool lane that gets above 65 during rush hour. The normal lanes are slower. The speed limit on I10 in town used to be 55, but they raised it to 65 a while ago. The speed limit on I10 outside of town is 75.

13. almypal26

almypal26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I totally agree with green4u. If you need to go that much "faster" then use the fast lane. This would benefit everyone on the road, fast, slow, and in between "speeds.":D

14. fulltank

fulltank New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have become a much more patient driver with my Prius. Less concerned with speed and more concerned with MPG. I may arrive to wherever two or three min later than before but the gas savings is worth it.

15. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And you arrive much less stressed out. That is important for your health and the safety of others. I raced cars for nearly 2 decades and I have to say that the Prius is so much more relaxing to drive.

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wrong question. The right question is:

If you drive a Prius, will you NOT become a more patient person?

17. Troyroy

Troyroy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You should rent a Prius for a week......it will make you want to be a better driver.....slow & easy saves you money......now how can you beat that !!!!!!

18. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I haven't read the whole thread, sorry - so I might repeat somebody else's answer/tips/comments.

To answer your question directly - in absolute terms, no (if you keep in mind it is not a car made for racing...). Depending on the car you had before and with what transmission, maybe.

I would try the Prius first and set it to PWR mode and see if you like the way it handles your "impatience". If you like it, go for it.
    Then what will happen is that because the MPG will be good, you will start a game with yourself called "how low can I go" and you will be here asking for tips on how to increase MPGs... ;) if that equates to be "more patient" I don't know.
    What got me "more patient" was getting a navi like the Go Live series from Tomtom, which showed me that "rushing" it usually will save me 1-2 mins at most on a 30 min commute, while consuming much more and getting home/at work way more stressed....
    Tips on saving fuel on the Prius (and well, on most other cars) you can find it in several threads here or also here:
    Tips & tricks for the “normal” driver to achieve satisfying fuel efficiency on the Prius Gen 3 « Prius 3 experiences from Europe