1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

If It's Just a Software Fix, Why the Delay?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by bighouse, Feb 6, 2010.

1. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Keith,
    You're incorrect. I'm not screaming, never have and never will. I'm much more rational than that. However, you DO realize that the "fix" has been put in place now for about a month, right? So, all your talk about "testing" seems moot. Seems to me that they would have already TESTED it well before that fix was put into cars on the assembly line starting back in January...So, I think it's safe to say that the "fix" HAS already been tested and found to be satisfactory - or else Toyota certainly would NOT have put it in place on cars that have been rolling off the assembly line for a month now.

1 person likes this.
  2. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the software developer created a patch didn't work, did it kill anybody?

Keith

3. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Keith,
    Are you suggesting then that Toyota has put a patch into the January production of Prius cars that hasn't been fully tested and might kill somebody??? Because that's what you're essentially implying. IF Toyota has put a fix into the mix for over a month then SURELY they testing it and found it satisfactory and safe to implement.

1 person likes this.
  4. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am aware and realize that they did make a production change about a month ago. However, with the tens of thousands of 2010 Prius automobiles on the road, this anomaly only occurs very, very infrequently. Consequently I can understand their position of not issuing a recall notice which frequently causes more headaches than it solves with the news media going postal on every minor event. For this particular Prius anomaly, a service bulletin with a repair at the next scheduled maintenance would suffice.

Keith

1 person likes this.
  5. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, at least we agree about the need for a Service Bulletin. I don't think it warrants a recall- but it should have been a released service bulletin the day they started the fixes on the cars in production. THAT's all I've really been saying.

Imagine the different light it would have put Toyota in when, as the crap hit the fan and the hysteria got all whipped up by the foes of Toyota and the hysteria-profiting news agencies, they simply said: "Why yes, we've notified all of our dealers of the issue and our customers are being made aware of the service update should they have one of the few cars that exhibit this unusual behavior- it's been available for over a month now to those wishing to avail themselves of it".

2 people like this.
  6. Canyon10

Canyon10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

We all like Prius that is why we bought it. We understand there is not a perfect product ever existed and there is always something can be improved. Thus I don't mind if a product has a defect. I think the point here is that Toyota claimed a fix already on the assembly line back in January. If they have the fix, why delay the response to the public? As a owner, I want to know what is the fix? When it can be applied to the current owner that have the problem. I want to know the fact.

7. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    wouldn't they need time to make sure the dealer can properly install the new map in the toyota OBD scan tool and that it flashes properly?

i do know it you stop a reflash in midstream the ecu will have to be changed out. (i've reflashed a wrx i once owned with good results:D)

maybe this is why it's "late" in getting to the dealerships.

8. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    If they knew exactly what they would be doing and when then I would imagine and hope that they would announce it, particularly once it was clear that it was of widespread concern. There are however a number of reasons that changes to existing cars would lag the factory change and they might be uncertain of timing. Reasons and possibilities include:
    1. The time required for documentation and training would make field implimentation lag factory implimentation.
    2. They would need to decide whether update at time of service or recall was more appropriate
    3. They may have responses to other related issues in the works but not quite ready for release (eg braking in reverse) and they may feel that it would be safer and less disruptive for their customers to implement them as a single fix on existing cars

2 people like this.
  9. duffasaurus

duffasaurus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Originally Posted by duffasaurus [​IMG]
    NEILZ: Yesterday I drove my 2010 Prius through the most crueling weather conditions, heavy rain & flooding, bumpy roads and all; did not experience even a hint of braking problems or hesitation. Felt extremly safe & secure. Why do you find it necessary to bad mouth such a wonderful product & responsive company such as Toyota??

As an addendum to my previous post, if I were to go over a seam in a driveway and loose my brakes for a second, I would either slow down or hit the brakes harder next time. Duh!

10. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I would add

4) It may really be a sensor issue. The software should have been robust enough to handle this, and the fix intends to correct. Testing for more bad sensor behavior in different modes is difficult. They may not be confident in the fix. They also may not want to go through one recall for software, then have to recall to change out the sensors.

5) Those that do not want to take the financial hit may be dragging there feet. The recall will likely be more expensive than the lawsuits. I hope that this is not the real reason.

2 people like this.
  11. georgew

georgew New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You'd might actually be better off not braking at all while going over that bump..that is what I do.

1 person likes this.
  12. georgew

georgew New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't read through this thread, but does anyone think it is possible Toyota will be giving pre-January 2010 Prius's a different fix than the one currently implemented?

They said it there was a software lag between items switching..To me that sounds less like a software problem, and more like a hardware problem. Maybe they added faster components, Communication BUS, etc to the new Prius and didn't update the software at all.

Any thoughts?

13. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The problem is NONE of us know what Toyota did to make the change in Jan.
    Was it software? Most are "guessing" it was.
    Was it hardware?
    Was it a combination of both?
    We really don't know at this time.

1 person likes this.
  14. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    LRKing,

Every article or release I've heard from Toyota has said it's simply a software update. So, I would expect that does not involve any Eproms or hardware of any sort. So all this talk about manufacturing hardware solutions possibly delaying the roll-out are not in keeping with what Toyota themselves has said is the fix. Otherwise it would be a software/hardware fix. Seems pretty simple to me.

15. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    "...I would expect..."
    In a few days we will know.

16. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, sounds that way from the AP reports.

17. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Furthermore, implementing a software patch, even if its just plugging in their scantool to the obdii port, is very different than changing what it installed at the factory.

For example:
    Establishing and testing exact procedures to TEST each car to ensure the fix 'took'
    Establishing and testing training of techs in implementing the fix and the above procedures in how many languages around the world
    Training those techs
    Consulting with NHTSA and similar organizations around the world to increase chance of solving everything to everyone's satisfaction
    etc

1 person likes this.
  18. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Where do you think the 'software' lives in a car?

19. garygid

garygid Senior Member - Blizzard Pearl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It is distributed, in many control units.
    Hopefully, one "main" ECU can rewrite the software (firmware) to all the other ECUs.

The real problen is finding the "bug" and creating a suitable "fix".

If the vehicle was designed for an "easy update" (I suspect it was not),
    one would not really need the dealer to "install" the "fix".

20. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Jimbo, Good question.

I suspect it resides in several different locations and is spread out amongst one of several ECUs. I doubt there is a main OS where all the software resides but instead different aspects of the car's control features are likely found on different boards/eproms/devices in different locations in the car- can you tell us more? So, there's probably an ECU (I'm totally guessing here and await a correction/education) just for braking. I'd expect the software to reside on it that controls the braking operations of the car. I would expect there to be some kind of central ECU that might serve as the gatekeeper/coordiantor for the other units which probably act as slaves to it. Most systems (whether hardware or software) seem modular in this day and age...for easier development (costs) and replacement.