1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

If It's Just a Software Fix, Why the Delay?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by bighouse, Feb 6, 2010.

1. pulley

pulley New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Note a previous response several days ago. I drove my 2010 Prius
    from the east coast to the west coast through snow, ice, rain,
    bumpy roads, etc and I too did not experience any braking problems. After 5200 miles, no problems. I am sure all will
    be handled in a timely manner for those of you who are having
    problems.

2. Carolina Dave

Carolina Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Of course it can be done and I could do it no problem. How will the shop know if it updated correctly and I won't? Do you really trust some mechanic in a shop, who may not even have graduated from high school to do better? I don't. I don't trust Toyota at all right now. They are just doing damage control. They don't really care what's happened. They tried to cover this and many other issues up. I have a feeling this isn't even close to the last issue with this car.

3. AKCMommy

AKCMommy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I call BS.

I have a lot of respect for people/companies who own up to their mistakes. The problem is that Toyota KNEW about this problem. They rolled out a fix for the cars in their factory. Yet when the media got wind of this problem, they denied there was a problem. The only reason Toyota is admitting it now is because they got caught.

I have lost all respect for Toyota. I completely understand having a brake problem or a gas pedal problem. I could still be a happy consumer if it was just about the braking problem. But it is not about that at all.

It is the denials and the foot dragging that is completely unacceptable. Their lack of accountability is appalling.

Toyota put money and image over safety and doing what is right. I was not given a choice. I purchased my car thinking that I would not have problems with the braking system. They knew it, they fixed it on other cars, and KNOWINGLY sold me a car with a defect (however minor you want to think it is). I didn't have the knowledge that the 2010 had this unresolved issue but Toyota did. And they sold me the car anyway. That is fraud.

4. Carolina Dave

Carolina Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well their dealers are going to have to update the software, so they should have already tested the process. Why should there be anything with my car that I can't work on myself? Just give me the same instructions you give the dealers. Why do you accept this notion that Toyota is so much smart than you? Why should I pay for my car to have the stupid back-up beep changed? I should also be able to do any needed software update for my car. I can fix anything else with my car...why not this?

5. Carolina Dave

Carolina Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well said my friend. This is fraud. They knew it and covered it up. The only reason this is getting fixed is because they got caught.

6. N8JC

N8JC New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Are you kidding me? There are roughly 1,200 Toyota dealers in the United States and the Prius is not the only recalled Toyota model on the road. Do the math. Besides, what is the rush? Just take a deep breathe and wait until Toyota contacts you.

1 person likes this.
  7. Russell Frost

Russell Frost the whatdrives.us guy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sorry

This is some of the silliest trolling I've yet seen on this. It's one thing if you're upset and here to learn. It's another if you just want to throw a petulant and uninformed tantrum in public.

1 person likes this.
  8. Welshdog

Welshdog Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Definitely yes, wait! This is no different than any software update in many ways. Wait for the early adopters to find out if it works. Then check PC for reviews etc before rushing out and getting the update.

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Re: I'm sorry

I was just about to post another reply to this tripe. I read your post and decided I'm done feeding the trolls on this thread.

If they are trolls, they don't want to be helped. If they aren't trolls, I think they are beyond help.

Tom

4 people like this.
  10. garygid

garygid Senior Member - Blizzard Pearl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I got the 2010 firmware updated today.

11. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think we have to categorize the target.

A: Computers, office equipment, communications equipment, test and measurement equipment, audio and visual equipment, home electronic appliances, machine tools, personal electronic equipment and industrial robots

B: Transportation equipment (aircraft, automobiles, trains, ships, etc.), traffic control systems, anti-disaster systems, anti-crime systems, aerospace equipment, submersible repeaters, nuclear reactor control systems, life support systems and medical equipment for life support

I saw many cases in the category A about software update by end users, but I have never seen them in the category B.

Has anyone seen them in the category B?

Ken@Japan

1 person likes this.
  12. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you want to spend the $2000+ for the proper scan tool, the $1000/year subscription for the software and updates for the Prius, and you want to accept the risk that if you mess up the procedure and fry your ECU in attempting the software update and have to replace that $2000 part at your own expense (I'm sure you'll want to do that yourself too, so I won't add the service costs to that) then you are more than welcome to do the software update yourself.

Otherwise, you can just let Toyota do it, it's built into the cost you paid for the car, you've already paid for it, they've done hundreds of flashes so the risk of making a mistake is negligible (even if they don't have a HS education they are well educated in repair of cars in general and specific training for hydrids is also required far above any ability you may think you have). And if, by some slight chance, something does go wrong THEY are the ones responsible for the cost and time to fix what they messed up.

I'm sure that won't satisfy you...I'm sure you don't want to be satisfied and nothing anyone's gonna say is going to satisfy you...but you asked "why" and this is the answer none the less.

4 people like this.
  13. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think most of us who have had this done already are satisfied w/ the results.

14. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well there are a some things in life that a 99% success rate isn't good enough. The brakes on my car is one of them. I don't want to fly with a pilot that can land the plane 99 times out of 100 either.

15. Russell Frost

Russell Frost the whatdrives.us guy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    just an observation

There is absolutely no end to the whining, is there?

16. Carnutt

Carnutt Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Well, as long as you're dealing with a human being, your pilot or surgeon are never going to be 100% either. I guess you'll never have surgery or fly (again) either.

17. Carolina Dave

Carolina Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So Danny was able to get his Prius software updated in one minute, and some of you want to argue that this can't be done by the end user? Clearly the infrastructure isn't in place to for end users to currently do this, but you can't tell me down the road that this isn't something that we all can do!

In the future there is no reason why folks shouldn’t be able to hook up their computer, with the right connection and right software to the car and perform a diagnostics test (At some point it could be done wirelessly through an App on a cell phone. There is also no reason the car won't be able to tell us about a problem (ie...send an email or txt when maintenance is needed…this could easily use Bluetooth). Also, using Satellite radio, there is also no reason why Toyota, can’t send a message to our cars that we need a software update. The technology is there and with proper controls it can all be done safely and securely.

18. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'll take it a step further. At some point in the future, all cars will have built-in broadband access. The manufacturer will be able to do a push update to all cars as needed, and each car will be able to report status information. It's the way everything is headed. I don't see why cars are any different. The safety issues require a higher level of security, but technically that is not a problem.

Tom

19. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A