1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

If one LED brake light is out, is it best to replace BOTH light assemblies?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dgabixoa, Mar 24, 2016.

1. dgabixoa

dgabixoa New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been reading a bunch of threads here about replacing the rear light assembly because the LED brake light is out. Several people have mentioned that one malfunctioning LED can damage the others, because the voltage will be redistributed among the working LEDs and will be too high.

My driver's side brake light has been out for a while now - someone mentioned it to me back in December and I completely forgot about it until this week when someone else told me about it. At this point it looks like all 6 of the driver's side LEDs are very very dim, or out, and it seems like the passenger's side are all ok - although I'll check again tonight when it's easier to see.

My question is, say I replace the malfunctioning driver's side light assembly - is it possible that some damage has already been done to the "healthy" passenger's side LED, which will then send more voltage to the newly replaced left side assembly, which will deteriorate and affect the right side again - kind of like a ricochet that will end up ruining all the LEDs??

I've been thinking of ordering a left side assembly off amazon and replacing it myself, I'm pretty inexperienced but it seems simple enough from youtube and would probably save 250 bucks. But I'm wondering if it would just end up costing me twice that in the long run, and if I might be better off just taking it to a repair shop for their take, since all things considered I don't really know what I'm dealing with in terms of the electronics...

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is not necessary to replace the working taillight proactively.

You'll have to assess your DIY skills. I would rate the replacement to be a simple project.

3. dgabixoa

dgabixoa New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, thank you for your reply