1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

If only price is considered, is the prime a better deal?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Bill La Mancha, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Bill La Mancha

Bill La Mancha New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been reading through the official prices paid thread and am astonished at the great deals everyone is getting! If only the pricing is considered, is it better to get a new prime or a standard gen 4? (In other words, besides the reduced cargo space, the 5th seat, etc.) Even if you could only take advantage of charging the vehicle once a week, would it still be more advantageous to purchase a prime? Also, besides the reduced cargo space and 5th seat...what is the disadvantage of a prime?

Thanks!

2. juhjuhjuhjames

juhjuhjuhjames Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I had the same debate before getting my prime premium.

It was either a Prius 3 or 4, or the Prime premium. The prime was actually cheaper than either option even before the $4500 federal tax rebate. I also got the prime without intending to charge it on a daily basis.

I think the biggest drawbacks of the prime are what you mentioned. No 5th seat, small cargo area, and I guess the visibility isn’t that great out of the back because of the weird hatch window. Those weren’t really an issue for me, and were offset with the better looks (IMO) and better price.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yeah, the disadvantages mentioned are pretty much all the Prime has compared to the Prius. There is also a lack of a spare tire, which depends on the exact Prius trim being considered. That is minor if the cargo space and seating is acceptable though.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You do not mention how far you drive in a typical week, but I think a Prime sounds good for you. In the next ten years, more chargers will be built.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it depends on where you shop. if you buy in the northeast, most definitely.

if not, you have a lot of math to do.

jmarkd7 likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In 2016, I was interested in a Prius ECO with TSS-P which did not exist. That was the one Prius that did not have it so after trying to sell me a Prius Level Three with TSS-P and a useless moonroof, I bought an end of lease, BMW i3-REx and kept our 2010 as backup. Then in December, the BMW i3-REx broke a motor mount bolt and I had to revert to the Prime.

I so hated the lack of dynamic cruise control and automatic braking, that I found, bought, and drove the Prime 1200 miles back home. I sold the 2010 Prius to another PriusChat member. Notice that four seats, it is just my wife and I and lack of a full-size spare played no part in the decision. I carry the full size spare in the rear seat, passenger-side with the seat folded.

But these are our requirements and one size does not fit all. FYI, I also had a 2" receiver installed to carry my wife's wheel chair outside the car. I have thought about carrying the spare on an external, carrier but then what do I do when I have to bring my wife and her wheel chair?

Bob Wilson

#6 bwilson4web, Jan 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    HPrimeAdvanced, mjoo and jmarkd7 like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a car industry dilemma (n)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Bill La Mancha

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you all so much for the comments and the insight! I had no clue that the visibility out the rear window of the prime is bad. Is it like that on all of the gen 4s?

My into is here: Camping in Gen 3, Gen 4, or Prime...what is the best option for me? | PriusChat

In the intro I mention my plans, which is primarily to camp in the prius 4 days a week while working and attending college. During that time my commute would be about 50 miles a day for Monday-Friday, except with Wednesday being about 20 miles. That would mean that I would be driving roughly 250 miles a week while school is in session.

While not in college and just working my commute is 100 miles a day. Currently (while in college and commuting) I am driving 600 miles a week and I would like to reduce it. I also would like to take advantage of the time currently spent commuting and use it to study. That way, I would have more time to spend with my family on the weekends.

I am more than willing to purchase a vehicle somewhere else and drive it back to save money! ;)

The spare tire may be an issue to me though. I've driven many miles and never needed a spare. However, the last two times that I had a flat tire they were FLAT! The first one I ran over a tree branch and the tire was flattened. The second time I ran over a deer carcass and one of the bones punctured the tire. How much is it to purchase a spare tire? What about a regular tire? Could I just journey over to the junk yard and pick one up?

Bob, since it's just the two of you I would keep the spare on the inside of the car. Especially if you ever have to change the tire you will have easy access to it. :)

Thank you all very much!!!

-Bill

9. Bill La Mancha

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bisco, thank you for helping me before! I can post now! ;)

bisco likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    visibility out of all prius is bad. not sure about prime vs lift back gen 4

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Let's face it the Prime is not the first choice for camping/sleeping in the rear.
    Prius Gen2-4 and PiP has histroically been great for camping but not Prime, unless there are some threads I missed.

jmarkd7 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Either fold the rear seats down or remove the head-rests.

Bob Wilson

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. Bill La Mancha

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the information!

14. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Some states/counties charge a premium to register plug-in veh's to recoup lost gasoline tax revenue. In Colorado, it's $50/year.

15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Visibility is a personal issue, since we aren't all the same shape or like the same seat position. There are lots of complaints about the split rear window in all Prii. I personally never had an issue with that in the gen2. I found the A pillars could block cars and people while I was making a turn though. You'll have to sit test the cars for yourself.

While to loss of cargo space may not be an issue in terms of volume, the loss is due to the cargo floor being raised in the Prime. When the seats are down, there is several inches in height difference between the seat backs and floor, which would likely be an issue for camping.

Most tire punctures can be fixed by a plug kit, and they aren't that hard to use. You'll need to supply at least pliers and a utility knife to go with it for road side use. Plus a good compressor, since I think the one that comes with the car will only work with the goo.

The rear head rests are an issue for visibility in many US spec cars because of our whiplash standards. If you are willing to spend the money, the Euro spec ones are low profile.

Rear seat Prime.
    [​IMG]

In Europe.
    [​IMG]

benagi and wjtracy like this.
  16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Even my minivan has that issue with headrest visibility...I am always taking them off and have to remember to put them back for PAX.

17. Roy2001

Roy2001 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    If you can live with 4 seats and less cargo space, and you can get tax rebate, then Prime is a better deal.

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can also fold the rear headrests down (no need to remove) if that bothers you.

I thought visibility is ok in the Prime (no worse than other Prius Liftbacks) but it is worse than your typical sedan.

19. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Remember, you can "tip" down the headrests on the back seats, and thereby get considerably better visibility out the back.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.
    AChoiredTaste.com

benagi, bisco and juhjuhjuhjames like this.
  20. juhjuhjuhjames

juhjuhjuhjames Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Wow, I had no idea haha. Thank you!