1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

If Prius got only 30 MPG, would you buy?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by drumslinger, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Colonel Ronson

Colonel Ronson New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check out my location to the left...and then check my mileage below. And i drive pretty aggressively. Low mpg like 40 is signs of a serious issue.

2. teeasal

teeasal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If the Prius is just the hatch back version of the Corolla and those 2 are the only choices, I'd choose the Prius over the sedan Corolla any time, 'cause hatchbacks are my only choice.

However, Gen II Prius, no; Gen III Prius, absolutely yes, even over any other hatchbacks like the Mazda 3 or Hyundai Elantra touring (which is a VERY nice car, way better than and very different than the normal Elantra sedan).

3. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Base, yeah I'd say thats accurate.

Have you driven a Mazda 3 5 door? I'd take a previous generation or new generation Mazda 3 5 door over a non-hybrid Prius anyday.

4. davesrose

davesrose Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

That's the decieving part about the Prius: from the outside it looks quite a bit smaller then a Camry. But on the lot, I was able to compare them side by side. The Prius is actually taller then the Camry...it's narrower and not as long.....but the actual seating and cargo space in it is very well utilized. There's no way you can fit a whole set of drums in a Camry hybrid or a Fusion hybrid (the Fusion was the other car I was heavily considering....it's got great pickup, but really suffers in cargo space).

Which model Prius was your friends? I hear the G3 does have more power. It does seem to have more pickup then my previous 4 cylinder Camry in Power mode, but I'm finding I'm trying out this whole hypermiler persona and am usually in Eco mode. Give it a good test drive....there are other cars that have more pep, bells and whistles, or sex apeal....but I think Toyota has done a good job with the G3 Prius in making it the most useful hybrid (converted tradition models or specially designed hybrid).

5. timo27

timo27 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

+1. And *thanks* for mentioning emissions--I think a lot of people are unaware of the air quality benefits (yes, some of us actually do give a rat's buttocks about this...).

So often we hear hybrids compared to diesels, afa fuel economy goes. Diesels have their place and I'm not dissing them (I've driven and like the Jetta TDi), but the fact is, even 'clean' diesel still puts out a lot of particulates that a regular gasoline engine doesn't (biodiesel is another story).

And I've seen plenty of new ('09 or '10) TDIs blowing smoke--speaks poorly to something...

To answer the OP's question, though, in a word, no. Probably a Honda Fit or similar. And to echo others, it isn't comparable to a Corolla in size or quality--they do give you some extras for your money on the Prius, in addition to the hybrid tech. Plus, it's a hatchback. Memo to automakers all around--*please* give us more hatchback choices!

~T

6. rpeek2

rpeek2 Dry Ice Juggler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just to answer the question first posed. I would have done more shopping before deciding. As the MPG was a definate factor in the decision to purchase a Prius, I would probably have shopped around and bought something else that got 30MPG.

7. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wouldn't have considered one. As it was, it was a toss-up between a VW TDI wagon and a Prius.

My Corvette gets an actual 30 mpg on the highway, my wife's Acura TL beats that.

There are many genuinely fun to drive cars that get well over 30 mpg.

8. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No.

I had a 30 MPG car - my Malibu. I'm a very efficient driver, so I have always gotten the best mileage from non-hybrid cars over the years.

My DH and I "vote with our dollars"... we buy organic, we buy Fair Trade certified, and we buy hybrid. We pay extra for "green energy" through our power company. Voting with our purchasing power is what we do as our part of saving the planet, along with our other conservation efforts.

9. risingsun

risingsun seeker of the way

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    +1 for me as well...

As much as I am happy with the Prius, there are better, more iconic or luxurious or powerful cars that can get close to 30mpg.

10. vahrn

vahrn New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    MPG is the very essence of the Prius as everything it has from the shape, to the weight, to abundance of plastic, to the small wheels, to the HSI and so on it's made to serve that very purpose and to be at the same time affordable, since hybrid tech is expensive. That's why it is probably less refined than similarly priced cars, even made by Toyota. You pay the hybrid part and accept to have a bit less quality in plastics, noise insulation and such to keep the price affordable.

For example my mum's Rav 4 2.2 diesel 150 hp costs as much as my Prius, and yet it is much more refined and "luxurious". (and consumes more than twice the fuel as my Prius! 12 km/l (28.7 MPG) vs 27 km/l (63.51 MPG current tank))

Therefore stripping away the high MPG and hybrid tech from the Prius would make it a nonsense. Why should I accept its compromises if I had nothing in return?

So, no, I wouldn't buy a Prius if it managed only 30 MPG, as I wouldn't see a reason for it to exist.

11. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It goes in for its 6 month checkup in a couple of weeks. I'll ask, but I'll bet some cars just do better than others. Again, consider extreme A/C as we get up to 112 and higher. That will kill mpg if you add aggressive driving to it. Most CONS readings are 2% to 3% optimistic. I'm basing my results on actual tank calculations. Again, it was just for one tank to see "how bad" I could do just for funzies. I went back to normal driving afterwards and brought it back up. Still, on the hottest days here, I can only get about 46 mpg on surface streets.

12. yadax3

yadax3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, absolutely! :cheer2:
    I bought my first Prius before gas prices increased significantly and there was still much speculation about whether or not it was worth the premium. Believe it or not, I was first attracted to the (Gen II) Prius because of its unique looks and environmental advantages. Then I test drove both the Honda Civic – the car I was planning to buy - and the Prius, twice and in different locations/dealerships, just to be sure. The choice was obvious to me. The Prius was roomier and more powerful on the hills, despite what anyone might say about the comparative HP. I suppose I could have compared the Prius to the Accord instead of the Civic but I was focused on MPG due to my long daily commute. I'd driven Honda Accords my entire adult life and the Civic felt like a big step down while the Prius did not. Unfortunately the Gen III has gone mainstream and lost some of its previous uniqueness but I love it nonetheless.

P.S. You won't find me defending the Prius' GPS. That thing drives me nuts. I've learned to live with its unfriendly interface but I find it terribly inaccurate. Maybe it's more accurate in some locations/cities than others. Just last week it told me I had arrived at my location when I was still 2 blocks away and, with no visible building address, I was lost. It’s definitely better than nothing but I’m learning not to rely on it exclusively. Now I use it in conjunction with MapQuest.

13. BlizzP10

BlizzP10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the car I bought (Prius II) was exactly the same (and cost a more reasonable 17k or 18k), but came with a manual transmission I would have bought it. In fact, I DIDN'T like the Prius because it had an automatic transmission. But otherwise, the car is perfect for my lifestyle needs (I need the hatchback to carry an upright bass). There are cars I actually prefer to drive (all manuals), but I just love the shape of the Prius (and I love saving money on gas and slightly helping the environment...but if I REALLY was green, I'd take the bus 1+ hours both ways to work).

Oh...and I wanted to test drive a Matrix, but it was too hard to locate one with a manual transmission.

14. archermoo

archermoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The hybrid system is integral to what makes the Prius a Prius. Asking if you would buy a Prius if it wasn't a hybrid is like asking if you would buy a Corvette if it had a 4 cylinder engine and an econobox body.

That being said, the MPG part of the hybrid system was pretty far down on my list of reasons for picking up a Prius. But then again I'm one of those that actually likes the look of the Prius rather than just being willing to live with it.

15. xbdude

xbdude opticat

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Nope. Wouldn't buy it if it got only 30 mpg. Bought it because of the unique hybrid system that gets 50+ mpg. That's my reason for purchase.

16. archermoo

archermoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Or of a short commute.

17. yadax3

yadax3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No way. Give me a break. My 1997 Accord cost $20K with less features. Ten years later I paid only $1K more for my Prius.

18. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A little hint: In just about every instance where the Prius mileage suffers... so would the mileage of any other car driven the same way in the same conditions. Some folks get all tweaked because their "50 mpg" Prius only gets 35 mpg on the 2.3 mile commute that they bought the car for. Gosh... what would a "35 mpg" car get in that situation? Not 35 mpg, certainly!

I'm desperately trying to find a more iconic car... and keep coming up empty.

Which typically equals - no need for a car.

19. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Exactly right! If I had longer commutes in cooler weather and spent more freeway time with it, I'm sure mine would hit 50 mpg. Mine does very well on road trips. I've gotten as good as 53 mpg (tank calculation) going consistently at 65 mph, but as low as 50 mpg at or over 75 mph.

So the bottom line here is depending on the day-to-day commute and weather conditions, that magic 50+ mpg city driving may not happen.

20. horseladyjune

horseladyjune Horseladyjune

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No way,
    The #1 Reason I got a Prius is for the 50 mpg.

If not for that, I'd rather have more ground clearance,
    I liked sitting up a little higher off the road in my RAV4.

As a matter of fact, as soon as someone comes up with a quality
    small SUV that gets 50 mpg, I'll be all over it.....