1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

If they created a gmo cherry that...

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by burritos, Jun 2, 2013.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Farmers could harvest year long would you eat them? Or just stick to the farmers market three weeks of the year?

2. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Eat them.

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three

There is a time and a place for GMOs. Too many people are starving, even here in the states. With the more extreme weather like droughts, floods, wind bowls, and everything else GMOs can be bred to be heartier. The cosmetic alterations like waxing apples or injecting tomatoes with red dye is just plain stupid and should be stopped.

I think people that are starving would rather have a tomato with almost no nutrients than no tomato.

I would rather give more of my tax money or even more money to taxes to subsidize non-GMO fruits and veggies and less to defence.

4. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Be that as it may, if and when some agriscientist does what I have proposed and sells them on the broad market, would u eat them?

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No because I don't like cherries. :p

That and I doubt Whole Foods or Sprouts would carry them even if I wanted to buy them. But eat them, no.

6. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Eat them. After all, they couldn't be any worse than the HFCS filled cherry candies I scarf down!!! They might even be better for me...

7. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thread reminds me of an important beneficial use of GMO.
    Greenpeace wants to derail it.

The Golden Rice Project
    "more than 10 million children under the age of five are still dying every year. A high proportion of those children die victims of common diseases that could be prevented through a better nutrition. This number has been equated with a ‘Nutritional Holocaust’ . It is unfortunate that the world is not embracing more readily a number of approaches wih the potential to substantially reduce the number of deaths. It has been calculated that the life of 25 percent of those children could be spared by providing them with diets that included crops biofortified with provitamin A (beta-carotene) and zinc. Golden Rice is such a biofortified crop."

8. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A

I agree with the sentiment, but your tax money for ag is not going to subsidize fruits and veggies, or family farms.

Ethanol mandate acts like a subsidy for corn, much of it gmo. Next up is cotton, I don't know if its gmo or not. Then wheat, rice, soybeans. The soybeans are mostly gmo. Most go to huge corporate farms, very little money goes to family farms.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/23/us/politics/farm-subsidy-recipient-backs-food-stamp-cuts.html?_r=0

I'd rather have cherries in cherry season, but I am not opposed to some gmo foods, as long as they are properly labeled.

richard schumacher likes this.