1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

If Toyota is serious about quality, they can start with better OEM Tyres!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by freo-1, Feb 9, 2010.

1. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We only had two snow storms here, both brought more than 5 inches, so i did go out and drive around in snow both times to try out the car. I spent 25 years in MI so i'm used to it. I thought the stock tires were fine for me. Maybe if i lived up north i would buy winter tires. I'm just saying i think they put a good tire on my car. To many people are saying toyota are putting junk on there cars.

Also at my job we have 100's of ford f-150's they seem to get about 25k out of the factory tires, i think thats bad. I got 50,000 out of the stock tires in my chevy truck so i would think fords could get at least 40,000. Also we always rotate the tires every 7,500 or so. And the drivers can't to do a burn out in the fords we have, so i know thats not why the tires are wearing out so fast.They have the small v-8 and with 4 wheel drive, unless your on wet grass these trucks can never peel out.

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my 04 handled fine in all weather and lasted almost 50,000 mi.
    i forget what they were. my 08 HYCAM however has integrity's.
    in 20,000 miles with 5,000 mile rotation, air pressure a few pounds over spec and a check of alignment, they are all cupped and very noisy at low speeds. i now have 30,000 an should replace them.

4. freo-1

freo-1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Fair Enough. I'm also originally from MI as well :)

Regarding the Prius, the Nokian WR-G2 is a way better tyre over the the Bridgestone. It is good enough with snow/ice that one can get by without dedicated snow in all but most extreme. It's also a low rolling resistance, quieter overall, a little better MPG, etc.

I guess I should qualify the fact that I was primarily referring to Ford cars as opposed to trucks. My buddies at work primarily have Fusions and Focus, and they all have reported good results with their cars overall (including tyres). My wife had a 03 Escape, and we got 70K from the OEM tyres.

5. ToyotaFleetManager

ToyotaFleetManager New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, not about tire quality, but my gripe is that Toyota has returned to using removal whip antennas on some models.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wholeheartedly agree but I believe we're one of the few countries that use all-season tyres as OEM equipment. In parts of Europe, if you bought your car in the winter, your car would be delivered with winter tyres. It's up to you to buy your own set of summers. And yes, CA drivers will definitely fair better with summer tyres (than all-seasons) and northern states/canada can benefit with the best all-season or even all-weather ones like the WR or Quadra2 (from Vredstein).

Well the MXV4 S8 are the best all-season tyres from Michelin imo. They're quiet, comfortable, decent grip in the slush and snow, great dry and wet grip and a good life (We had the one below, the MXV4 Plus on our Camry XLE and loved it.. that was b4 the WR came out of course)

Keep in mind that you have the 17" alloys. The wider contact patch can play a role in that (maybe not so much in the snow but definitely in the dry and wet (rain)).

The 2010 Prius uses Ecopia EP20 all-season. The EP100 is a summer tyre.

I agree. They can do glass-imprinted antennas for the Corolla, yet bee-sting for the Matrix and Prius. Granted, they work better on hatchbacks/wagons and you can hide the satellite radio antenna inside it too but given that the sharkfin antenna is the new bee-sting antenna, I'm surprised they didn't opt for that on the new Prius.

1 person likes this.
  7. raholco

raholco Ailurophile

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Before it met its demise, my Ford Five Hundred AWD was fitted with Continenal ContiTract Touring as standard-a mighty fine tire. Ford learned their lesson with the Firestone fiasco.