1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

IF Toyota offered small Diesels to the US

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by subjective, Apr 30, 2012.

1. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Right. That's why the USA desperately needs more than just diesel pick-ups and, in particular, VW cars. VW's lack of reliability is such a huge issue that it hinders the growth of the diesel market.

Other manufacturers could, I'm sure, easily take a large part of the diesel market but it's a relatively small market so they haven't bothered in the past. Next year, however, several more manufacturers are expected to start selling diesels here.

2. Gary Otto

Gary Otto Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I thought the subject was "small diesel"...not over priced urban assault vehicles!

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Do you mean small as in a 1.0 litre 3 cylinder diesel? Or small as in a 3.0 litre twin turbo BMW 3 series engine?

You define 'small' and I'll show you the equivalent Euro diesel engines and their specs.

4. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, the difference being whether it is taxed or not. (and maybe some level of filtering).

5. subjective

subjective Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree with your appraisal of the situation. I owned 3 VW diesels in the 1980s and they were really bad and obviously still are. I would add that the California legislators are largely responsible for the restriction of small diesels for years. Since California is such a large vehicle purchasing state, Toyota and other manufacturers would not import diesels that could not be sold in Ca. Now it will take years to reverse this unwise decision and give us a choice. Perhaps because of Shell and their conversion of natural Gas to diesel, it could contribute to small diesel US ownership to move along a little faster for those that want them. I know that I would like a small diesel pickup like the one available in the UK and the most of the rest of the world. I think its called the Hillex or something near to that and is improved for 2012 with about 40 mpg.

6. subjective

subjective Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    One more thing. WE WOULD STILL KEEP OUR PRIUS!

7. Vege-Taco

Vege-Taco Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think small diesel engines are long overdue here in the US, but some people have suggested combining diesel with hybrid technology. I really don't think this is a good idea for small vehicles because diesel engines don't operate efficently or cleanly unless they are run continuously and under a load. Diesel engines like to be hot.