1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

If water is causing so many problems.....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by macreative, Sep 20, 2004.

1. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: Greek maidens drying our precious Prius......Too funny

Blanket... hummm could putting an electric blanket over the hood over night increase the gas milage in the winter?

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I was one of the original posters of the don't wash the engine compartment as it cost me a hundred bucks to get it fixed a month after I did wash the ICE the first time. The problem is the seals on the ignition coils are not really sealed to the spark plug tubes in the head, and the water got in there and eventually shorted out the #1 spark plug. It happened in the dealer parking lot as I was getting ready to leave because the MIL wasn't on when it finally gave up and set the big triangle of death. This was my fault and I would have connected my code reader but they still hadn't got the SSC40D patch available in Canada so the car isn't truly OBD11 compliant and I couldn't pull the code to tell me it was a miss fire on sparkplug #1. I still wash the under hood but now blow out the spark plug tubes with compressed air. The hood seal campaign is worth getting as any water you get under the rear of the hood when you wash the car has the potential to get on top of the engine and drain into the spark plug tubes. Save your self the aggravation and expense.