1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured if you are looking at a new plugin or EV which is more important, range or MPGe?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Bluecar1, Jan 28, 2017.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    it's a screenshot. You have to go to their website if you want The Real McCoy.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Mitsu automotive is a strange creature. Its Plug-in hybrid SUV Outlander is the most popular plug-in in most of Europe. It does well in its home country of Japan as well. How weird is it, that they would have the most ridiculous & the most coveted plug-in (in some countries). So, what does Mitsu decide it will do for its U.S. Outlander version? They decided to rob it off its native quick charge CHAdeMO feature that it gives to other countries. If Mitsu were plastic surgeons, they'd give you a great nose job, & give you a clef palette just to assure their inexplicable history remains inexplicable .

3PriusMike likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  4. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Works fine for me.

RCO likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i guess they just don't want me for a customer. they don't need a whiny, crotchety old man.

#105 bisco, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  6. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    They know from the SpaceX spy satellites. ;)

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  7. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    CHAdeMO isn't as useful here as it is overseas, though. It's not as common (especially compared to Japan, where it's almost as common as a J1772 is here), it's terribly expensive here, and in the US, there's not as much need for it.

In Japan, CHAdeMO is used to get around the apartment gap, as well as poor quality home power supply, as I understand, to work in more of a gas station model - you drive to get a charge, then go home.

In Europe, there's the apartment gap, and there's also mandatory electric areas, so being able to quick charge before entering one helps.

In the US, there's less of the apartment gap, and there's no such thing as a mandatory electric area, so CHAdeMO is really meant as a way for a short range BEV to make it home without sitting at a J1772 for a few hours, and is priced like an emergency option. Therefore, it doesn't make sense for an automaker to spend the money necessary to install DCFC on a PHEV, considering that the gasoline engine is far cheaper to run as an emergency get-you-home power source than using CHAdeMO.

RCO and Trollbait like this.
  8. Bluecar1

Bluecar1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I read somewhere it may be due to incentives in their home market, something about the car has to recharge in a maximum time from a particular type of charger to qualify for a large rebate, and the 28KWh battery just gets inside that by < 10 minutes

there is a 200 mile range variant due in 2018 which will address the issue, but nearly doubling the recharge time on rapid chargers at motorway services as the maximum power drawn is about 70kw on the current Ioniq EV

the other issue affecting all EV's seems to be the rapid charging infrastructure is not as widespread as it needs to be and providers are slow to repair faulty chargers

added to this in car sat navs in many cars seem to have out of date maps of chargers which further causes issues as there is not any live style services (similar to traffic / speed cameras where allowed) probably due to still being seen as a niche market so little or no money to be made by the likes of tom rom, navigon etc

RCO likes this.
  9. Bluecar1

Bluecar1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    they do exist

Mahindra e2oPlus Range Calculator - Electric Car Charging

while not the best looking car ( cough) it is available in he UK for less than £14000 with a range of about 60 miles according to their range calculator

VAG are looking at EV versions of UP!, Citigo, Mii from what I saw in autoexpress yesterday

but these sort of cars would tend to be the 2nd car due to size / limited range but have a purpose and use in reducing emissions

RCO likes this.
  10. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Some providers are slow with repairs, others are better.

The Nav pointing to chargers ranges from incomplete & out of date to updated within days, extremely accurate & will even show how many available stalls.

It is a new infrastructure, it will take time to grow but it is already leaps and bounds ahead of where it was a few years ago.

Bluecar1 likes this.
  11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    £14000 is only ½ the cost of your hospital bill - if you ever get hit in that flimsy "Made-in-India" beer can. Have you ever watched India beer can crash tests?

You CAN build a car for only £14000 & still make a huge profit. But the buyer only got what they paid for.

RCO and Bluecar1 like this.
  12. Bluecar1

Bluecar1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    very true, that could be why they are not selling massive amounts, but I was highlighting the fact they are around, euroncap highlighted the whole quadricycle market as being an area of concern

but Mahindra is starting to use formula e technology on the drive train so hopefully it will also use some of the crash test information as well to improve the product as well, then we could see some real innovation in the small EV market area

RCO likes this.
  13. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought there WERE no hospital bills where they used the "£" symbol.....

14. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No charge for emergencies, it's free for all. They are introducing a pay beforehand treatment scheme for non-residents in cases of health tourism, or for non emergency treatments. Yet to see how it works out in practice. There is often a considerable wait for routine surgeries and not all drugs are available on the National Health Service (NHS).

#114 RCO, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    ETC(SS) and bwilson4web like this.
  15. Bluecar1

Bluecar1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    we are going off topic, we are looking at range or MPGe

and the question was about if there was a cheap EV with a 50-100 mile range, I provided an example, whether it was seen as safe or desirable where not required

the Mahindra e2o is cheap (£12k-£14), has a claimed 80 mile range, but to be honest it has the looks only its designer could love and I would be real interested to see the NCAP data for it

but if you only wanted a cheap EV for a 20 mile each way commute into central London you might consider it

there are people who don't care, there are a number of the G-Wiz cars around and look at the write up they get G Wiz is voted the UK's worst ever car | Daily Mail Online

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if the pre brexit gov approved it for sale, what else matters?

17. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Off topic but I tried to answer a perceived question. Note to self. Must revise my dictionary definition of 'chat'.

bisco likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when i was in london in '73, a friend of my sil was hit by a car, crossing the street and looking the wrong way.
    she was in a huge room with many other patients, reminded me of an army hospital, but the care was excellent, and free, i believe.

RCO likes this.
  19. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes buddy, all this should I look left or right business is a nightmare! Hope you sil was ok and treated well on the hospital ward. For those who aren't familiar with the feature, wards are a bit like medically retired clinical barack rooms. We're trying to get all same sex wards for social reasons, but occasionally pressure of demand require mixing of genders in the one multi-bed room. No sniggering here please, we are British so no hanky panky, if you please! :cry: