1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

If you are waiting on delivery of a 2020 Prius Prime from Japan.......

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by GKL, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Just Southeast and Gulf. If they don't want to support a model, it gets hard to get. From things posted here, it seems best to make the effort to get a Toyota you want from outside those regions. In the case of the Prime, discounts in the Northeast can more than make up for the plane trip and drive home.

2. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    :D hopefully ours follow thru on what they did promise, hey, I can hope :D

2 months and a week, was that from Japan ?

We were told at least 90 days up to 120 days, but hopefully ours arrives sooner.:rolleyes:

I guess the southeast and gulf must not feel there is enough profit in some models ? (bottom line in those decisions is usually profit I imagine) and I agree with your idea about the discounts, it was more of our responsibilities not allowing us the time to be that far from home right now to buy in another region and drive home, but thanks anyway !

#22 GKL, Feb 26, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2020
  3. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Yup. I like to confirm the build date when checking the VIN on delivery - just to be sure. ;)

4. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks, that gives me hope we might not have to wait the full 90-120 days they said ! :D

5. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks, that was really fast if it only took about a month, maybe they had one already made and ready to ship !

Hope ours gets here sooner rather than later :rolleyes::D

6. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think it is more about dealer pushback against the new with the Prime. It may have been happening when the Prius first came out.

7. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    They still should try to give it a chance even if they only start out keeping about 2 in stock at first, and maybe instead of spending money on a separate TV ad just for the Prime, simply include the Prime in an ad that also covers other Toyota models.

8. Northerner

Northerner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes, I hope you get yours, too. So far, I’m loving it - although still a lot to learn. I actually asked the dealer at the pick up if they found my car at another dealer and he said no. I’m wondering now if ordering the Limited with no extra options is the reason.

9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Many dealers don't want to give plug ins a chance. They are afraid of changing away for a business model that relies on ICE service. It is why Tesla went with direct sales, and many dealer associations fought to get Tesla stores banned in their states.

10. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Okay, that's an interesting point, since PHEVs seem to need less overall servicing than pure ICE cars, then maybe the dealerships are looking at revenue they might lose from PHEV owners needing less after-sale servicing than pure ICE cars. I never gave a lot of thought to that aspect, but now thinking about it it does seem the service dept of dealerships seem to stay pretty busy with ICE cars. I wonder what overall percentage of a dealership's profit comes from after-sale servicing vs the profit from the initial car sales themselves ?

The ultimate factor in business decisions is profit, so if PHEV sales reduces profit in the long run then that indeed could be the reason.

11. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the dealers throw out a long estimate like this to keep eager beaver buyers off their back. Some dealers give blow by blow info on when they know what the VIN is, when the build date is and where it was built, etc. and the name of the ship. Most don't.

Keep in mind the 2017 was the first year for the Prime series which may skew the numbers, but I ordered mine June 30-2017, and It arrived in OKC Sept 14, 2017. It was on the "Athens Highway" car carrier running full bore around Key West to Houston right in front of Hurricane Irma. No stress there at all. :p

Timeline: Ordered June 30, Arrived @ Houston VPC Sept 10, arrived at dealer Sept 13th. Was told by Gulf States Toyota distribution analyst that production would be in September with delivery Oct/Nov. They obviously stepped up production.

(Read that whole 30 page Midwest Availability thread. It's an eye opener)

GKL likes this.
  12. Northerner

Northerner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Here is better info fo my Prius Prime Limited order:
    Test drove a prime and ordered one on 1/21/2020.
    Took delivery on 2/24/2020 - at least a month sooner than expected.
    I just checked the manufacture date inside the door and all it says is 01/2020 - no date. This suggests it was probably not sitting on another dealership’s lot, but was probably just produced and ready to be shipped very close to when I ordered it.... possibly a little before.

13. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Interesting, thanks for sharing that !

I have heard of some waiting as long as 3 months or longer and others getting theirs sooner than what was told them at first, but I agree with your logic that they might tell a longer time frame to keep buyers off their back :D

(I'll have to check out that thread you mentioned too)

Thanks, and we ordered an XLE with no extra options other than what normally comes with the XLE so maybe that will help us too.

Thanks, yep, likely was already made and ready to be shipped as the shipping itself likely takes at least a few weeks. Thanks for checking !

#33 GKL, Feb 27, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2020
  14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What a different "business model" from a decade back: we found our 2010 Touring sitting at the back of a shed, covered in dust, where it'd been apparently sitting, for well over a year lol. With a dead bird lying beside it. Had them extricate it, clean it up, we test drove it, bought it.

15. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Wow, that shed was at a dealership ?

16. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am just going to mention that the Dealers are wrong, by the way.

Do Hybrids and PHEVs need less maintenance? Yes.

However, dealers get a bigger percentage of less. Shade tree mechanics are scared of Hybrids. If they knew what a PHEV was, they would be scared to work on them, as well.

I sincerely believe that a poll of Prius owners and Mustang owners would find a larger percentage of dealer serviced Prius.

17. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So it is generally the case that if you live in the Gulf or Southeast region, that your only practical way to get a Prime is to privately deal with a dealership in another region, travel to that dealership, and drive it home? We hear a lot about the Southeast region not wanted to deal with these new-fangled electric vehicles (the $$$ is in the big trucks and SUVs). Is the same true of the Gulf region?

18. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Okay, I guess if reduced income from after-sale servicing is not an issue with PHEVs, then that brings us back to is there any way to know for sure why some regions shy away from stocking and promoting the Prime ?

The other way to get a Prime in those regions is to simply have the dealership send in a special order to the regional headquarters which in turn forwards the order to the factory in Japan. (as long as you're not in a real big hurry to get your car of course)

Somehow I can't see where selling the Prime would really reduce the number of trucks and SUVs sold, because if someone really wants a truck or SUV it seems unlikely most would get a PHEV instead because they already know trucks and SUVs are not known for great gas mileage so gas mileage was already a non-issue to those people.

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Shed is accurate, but misleading. It was sort of a showroom/shed. But pretty full, and we found this gem, boxed in, waaaay at the back. 12 volt battery dead-as-a-doornail (and they tried to mask that...), but it cleaned up good. Our baby, still inside the "shed":

upload_2020-2-27_15-25-7.png

20. Jon Bloom

Jon Bloom Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It may be simply a case of not wanting to have cars on the lot that won't move taking up space that could be occupied by, say, Tundras or Tacomas.

This thread has been very educational. I had no idea such regional differences exist. Just for grins, I went on AutoTrader and did a search using my Connecticut ZIP, a SC ZIP, and a couple of other places as well. Man, you aren't kidding when you say they don't sell Primes down there! There weren't even many HEV Prius vehicles shown. One area I looked at even had more Land Cruisers listed than Primes. Make of that what you will.

Not to add to your concerns, but if I were in your shoes I think I'd be a little worried that the dealership's mechanics don't have much experience with Primes, or possibly even Prius in general. I'd like to think there is at least one person in the shop that knows the car model well when I bring it in for warranty service.