1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

If you are waiting on delivery of a 2020 Prius Prime from Japan.......

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by GKL, Feb 26, 2020.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no one knows for sure, only toyota and the dealers

2. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Neat !!!!

Okay, thanks for the clarification, when you said "shed" I pictured some kind of storage shed sitting on the back lot :LOL:

That's why I said why wouldn't they even keep 2 Primes in stock at a time, wouldn't take much room and could reorder more as each is sold.

Yep, the regional differences are amazing indeed ! :D

As far as qualified mechanics I could ask later just to be sure, but I would think there should be some around as there are other Prime owners in our state, maybe not a whole lot, but they'd have to get servicing done too. The dealership I ordered from is huge so I'd be surprised if they didn't have at least one person trained for Primes.

Mendel Leisk and Jon Bloom like this.
  3. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    you'd hope one of the employees would explain things even if they did so anonymously on the forum.

4. MTN

MTN Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I would think a savvy buyer would work with an out-of-state dealership, negotiate a low price, and have the vehicle delivered to their door. AND likely pay much less than a factory order. Offhand, OP did you get any dealer discount on the vehicle besides whatever cash/rebate Toyota is offering in your region? It is easier to work a deal with a vehicle that is sitting on a dealer's lot and not one that hasn't been produced yet. You also don't have to wait 90-120 days.

just my two cents

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In 2009, when I bought my first Prius, Mississippi had the fewest Prius per Capita in the US, adjoining states were 49th and 48th

Recently PHEVs MS was 50th and ND was 49th

To be fair, MS is near 45th in cars per capita, so it is not just 'high tech'

(When I moved to MS in 2002, there was a Letter to the Editor fussing that by state law, you could not post political ads on telegraph poles. I knew I was doomed, as they still thought there were telegraph poles)

6. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    We negotiated to get the total cost reduced by roughly about $1300 from what they wanted to charge us and the 90-120 day wait was not a concern because originally we were going to wait a few months to make a deal after a bill was paid off and we had more towards a down payment, but since it is ordered we don't need to make the down payment or start making payments till after it is delivered, so the wait is not a big deal.

MTN likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Build date of our 2010 was aug 09, and we bought it in nov 10, with about 10 km on the odo.

The lot and the shed was littered with Prius, lots of stock, butt apparently not moving that fast.

Strangely different now. I was in, just a bit after 4th gen came out, at the service counter, and they said those days are gone, they were only bringing in with firm pre-orders. They loosened up some since, but still just a trickle. As I mentioned, currently local dealersip has NO Prius, and 2 Primes.

Kinda the opposite of what you need, but still, reflective of the lacklustre Prius situation. I don't recall ever seeing a 4th gen Prius in their showroom.

8. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Kinda makes me wonder if the average customer is so unknowledgeable about the Prius they shy away from even checking it out maybe thinking it has to have a special set up at their house to recharge them.

We don't see ANY advertising in our area showing the Prime and explaining how it works, do they show TV ads on the Prime in your area ?

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Nothing.

GKL likes this.
  10. MMBH

MMBH Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Did you get any different pricing on the unsold "Summer 20" Primes on the lot?

11. smyles

smyles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Not sure if qualifies as different, but ~$26K OTD, in Maryland.

12. MMBH

MMBH Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Which model?

13. smyles

smyles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE

Capture.JPG

bisco and triggerhappy007 like this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when you like a car, and want a car, and buy a car, it's hard to understand why not many others feel the same way

Northerner likes this.
  15. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Well I can appreciate that people have different priorities as far as what they want in a car and that's fine.

Personally I was not even expecting to buy a new car anytime soon, but last year my wife surprised me when she mentioned wanting to get a Toyota after hearing how some friends of ours has a Toyota with something like 350K miles and still running great, so I said let me research various Toyota models and see which one we might want, well after noticing what it would cost us to get a regular ICE vehicle in the model we would want I saw that it would not be an unreasonable amount more to get the plug-in hybrid (Prius Prime) and save money from not having to go to the gas pump anywhere near as often as we do now. So 2 of the deciding factors for us was Toyota reliability and saving money by using much less gas. (and not using any gas at all most days when we just travel locally)

pghyndman, MTN and Northerner like this.
  16. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The Corona virus may upset everything. With world wide supply chains there might be one part sourced from China or Korea that is essential to the car and can't be obtained for some time. If, say, an oil seal is that part, and no other supplier can ramp up in a short time and offer the part in sufficient quantities, then the manufacturing line is shut down. It might be anything; I used the oil seal as an example. We'll have to wait & see.

GKL likes this.
  17. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I definitely understand the possibility, but hopefully the factory has enough parts already in stock to keep going for a while, as far as I know the number of Primes sold is relatively low compared to regular ICE cars so I would hope their parts supply on hand will last for a while.

Also, I have yet to hear of any delays in the production of the Prime, we ordered ours In January and the dealer said 90-120 days so hopefully our order is far enough along to not be affected by any delay.

18. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    With just in time manufacturing, there is seldom any more than a weeks worth of any part in stock. The assumption is that there would be no disruptions and so the amount invested in parts could be reduced so as to maximize profit. I know of some cases where 2 days is considered a lot of inventory. Why have inventory when a supplier can bear those costs for you.

pghyndman and GKL like this.
  19. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Interesting, and I'm not doubting you, but you would think Toyota could get a lower cost if they purchased in larger quantities.

20. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Purchasing in quantity for sure, but scheduling/accepting delivery and then paying for it is done in completely different quantities.

Example: I order 40,000. I say I want them 2,000 at a time on every work day at 4 PM. I will pay for them 30 days after delivery via electronic transfer. Because I order in those quantities, I have leverage over those terms. You as a supplier have to price to include those extra inventory carrying costs and delivery costs and finance cost for the delayed payments.

GKL likes this.