1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

If you could be a rich, respected black athlete...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ghostofjk, Mar 29, 2006.

1. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

Knowing what you know now (or think you know)---about African-Americans, about white attitudes, about how people treat other people, about fame/celebrity...

...if you had it to do over, would you choose to be an African-American who would end up being admired for his/her athletic accomplishments and fabulously wealthy?

A different question: if you could trade places with such a person at, say, age 30 (you at age 30 and the athlete at age 30), would you walk away from your own life?

Examples: (no crackheads, wife-abusers or fathers of 20 kids by 16 women):

Henry Aaron
    Michael Jordan
    Walter Payton
    Arthur Ashe
    Serena Williams

2. slortz

slortz New Member

If Tiger Woods qualifies too (despite the contraversy because I do respect his position on the matter, being a type of "mixed breed" myself) then for me it is a tough choice between him and M.J.
    Would have loved to have been born either one of those guys but since I'm already who I am now I wouldn't ditch my family for anything. :)

3. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(slortz @ Mar 29 2006, 05:27 PM) [snapback]232005[/snapback]</div>
    Funny I didn't even think of Tiger. He seems to live comfortably in the "white world" (that doesn't mean he does) and used to be my neighbor in the fairly affluent L.A. suburb of Cypress.

I'd be Tiger in a heartbeat.

BTW, I do really like the repeatedly-used pic of Tiger hugging his mom in a magazine ad that's running. No embarrassment there,,,

4. dsunman

dsunman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ Mar 29 2006, 08:00 PM) [snapback]231982[/snapback]</div>
    No, I wouldn't as I'm very content with my life as it is.
    Fame seems to be rather superficial aspect of throbbing ego.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i guess the better question would be

Can I be bought.

nope not a chance.

my life sucks for the most part, but its still my life.

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd rather be me. I decided quite some time ago the one thing I could do that nobody else could is be a good father to my kids. Not that it would bother me to be rich, famous, and black, but I wouldn't trade.

7. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ Mar 29 2006, 08:00 PM) [snapback]231982[/snapback]</div>

Yes, but do I have to be famous? I just want to be rich but I have no desire to be famous. B)

8. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(grasshopper @ Mar 30 2006, 03:09 PM) [snapback]232609[/snapback]</div>
    Too easy, hopper! The whole point is the combo. What would it be like being black in this society? Would fame be more a nuisance than ego-pleasing? Would you "travel in diferent circles"? Would those factors be worth it if you were ridiculously rich?

9. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

No way man! Do you know how many times I'd get pulled over in my Prius?!