1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

If you could pick one President from the past to be President today, who would it be?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Apr 7, 2006.

1. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 7 2006, 02:59 PM) [snapback]236445[/snapback]</div>
    LMAO, Introducing the New Ronco Latex woman!
    She looks and feels like the real thing, shes posable, she doesnt bitch &
    she never say's NO...

It's the new Ronco real latex woman Order one today....!!

Thats great!!!!!
    :blink: :huh: :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

2. imntacrook

imntacrook New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LoveBeingGreen @ Apr 7 2006, 02:54 PM) [snapback]236439[/snapback]</div>
    I wasn't going to say anything, because everyone's opinion is valuable... but I used to love the 18% interest rates and 12% unemployement. Not to mention giving back the Panama Canal and the American hostages in Iran. Carter proved himself to be the most ineffective pantywaist that ever slept in the oval office. He's a nice man though.

3. Jim1eye

Jim1eye Shaklee Ind Distributor

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
  4. Denny_A

Denny_A New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jim1eye @ Apr 8 2006, 03:19 PM) [snapback]236835[/snapback]</div>
    Ditto!!!! :D

5. Linny

Linny New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LoveBeingGreen @ Apr 7 2006, 02:54 PM) [snapback]236439[/snapback]</div>
    I'm with you Love Being Green. Actually, I'd love to have seen Roz take a stab at the job. Being a good human being was his strength, and ultimately in such a corrupt system, his downfall. But I'll take a "pantywaist" over a War pig anyday.

6. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Washington, Eisenhower, or ... a Lincoln/Carter/Jefferson hybrid uber president made of metal and powered by steam.

7. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

In my lifetime General Eisenhower because he was a true leader and aware of the potential destruction of the military industrial complex. Next was Bill Clinton because he was intelligent and led this country in a good financial direction despite being black balled by neocons every step of the way. The fact that Kennedy was assignated early in his presidency proves to me that he would have been exceptional and that's why his opposition took him out.

Worst? Reagan and the Bushivites. Although Nixon was corrupt as hell at least he had a sense of international leadership. I wouldn't call Johnson particulary corrupt although I wouldn't want to be on his bad side as his arm twisting penchant was infamous.

8. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My best list would be the likes of Jefferson, Lincoln, Eisenhower, Truman, and Carter. As for one, it would be a tough choice, they all had their good and bad points, could we have a comittee?

As far as the worst, LBJ (we had 2 Johnsons), Reagan, Bush, and Bush, with the present taking the case I'm afraid.

9. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tleonhar @ Apr 8 2006, 12:38 PM) [snapback]236871[/snapback]</div>
    Good summary.

How many members of the Bush administration does it take to change a light bulb? ;)

1. One to deny that a light bulb needs to be changed;

2. One to attack the patriotism of anyone who says the light bulb needs to be changed;

3. One to blame Clinton for burning out the light bulb;

4. One to arrange the invasion of a country rumored to have a secret stockpile of light bulbs;

5. One to give a billion dollar no-bid contract to Halliburton for the new light bulb;

6. One to arrange a photograph of Bush, dressed as a janitor, standing on a step ladder under the banner: Light Bulb Change Accomplished;

7. One administration insider to resign and write a book documenting in detail how Bush was literally in the dark;

8. One to viciously smear #7;

9. One surrogate to campaign on TV and at rallies about how George has had a strong light-bulb-changing policy all along;

10. And finally, one to confuse Americans about the difference between screwing a light bulb and screwing the country. <_< :angry: :eek: :p :) :D

10. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Two: Thomas Jefferson and Theodore Roosevelt.

Jefferson for his writing of the Constitution and forming the basis for the Library of Congress. Jefferson lived in the "Age of Enlightenment" which fostered science and industry and higher education asking objective questions and thinking and acting synoptically ("big picture").

Roosevelt for his progressive thinking in an era of big business and largess (National Forests, National Parks, western hemisphere perspective). He made an effort to visit part of the country and walk with people on the ground.

Clay Jenkinson, Jefferson and Roosevelt scholar, goes a long way to bringing these two presidents to life: http://www.th-jefferson.org/. He appears in character around the country and speaks and answers questions in character. This gives you a sense of where these presidents were coming from, "men of their time." If Clay Jenkinson appears in your community, make an effort to spend an evening with him.

Each program is three phase: 1) Exclusively in character, 2) audience questions answered in character and 3) stepping out of character. His portrayal gains credibility when you realize he makes a serious effort to portray his characters accurately. In the third phase he often states that he does not agree with Jefferson or Roosevelt's perspectives. The last program I attended had a preprogram reception at a local restaurant where Jenkinson, as Jefferson, mingled with those enjoying wine and food. A nice touch as Jefferson served as ambassador to France and served wine at the White House.

11. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Begreen @ Apr 9 2006, 01:26 PM) [snapback]237182[/snapback]</div>
    Liberal joke?

Here are these to add to your joke list:
    Q: How many Floridians does it take to change a light bulb?
    A: Don't know for sure, they're still counting.

Q: How many politicians does it take to change a light bulb ?
    A: Two. One to change it, and another one to change it back again.
    A: Four, one to change it and the other three to deny it.

Q: How many Conservative economists does it take to change a light bulb?
    A: None. The invisible hand does it.
    A: None. "There is no need to change the light bulb. All the conditions for illumination are in place. Recent surveys show growing confidence in the light bulb lighting up again."
    A: None, because, look! It's getting brighter! It's definitely getting brighter !!!

Q: How many economists does it take to screw in a light bulb?
    A: None. If the light bulb really needed changing, market forces would have already caused it to happen.
    A: Two. One to assume the ladder and one to change the bulb.
    A: Two. One to assume the latter (a pun) and change the bulb.
    A: None. If the government would just leave it alone, it would screw itself in.

Q: How many Liberal Democrats does it take to change a light bulb ?
    A: None. "Well it's not really a question of should we change it or should we not change the light bulb, but more a question of...(blah blah waffle)"

Q: How many liberals does it take to screw in a light bulb?
    A: One liberal and twenty eight delegates representing all the social, economic, and ethnic communities.
    A: Two-one to do it and the other to keep the first one's knee from jerking.
    A: None: They can't remove the old ones since they are already part of the environment.

Q: How many social scientists does it take to screw in a light bulb?
    A: They do not change light bulbs; they search for the root cause as to why the last one went out.

Q: How many conservatives does it take to change a light bulb?
    A: One; after reflecting in the twilight on the merit of the previous bulb.

Q: How many US Presidents does it take to screw in a light bulb?
    A: None, the constitution says that only Congress can screw in light bulbs, so only Congress is responsible for the dark, which is why we need a Constitutional amendment.
    A: Only one. If he can handle 250,000,000 people a day I think he can handle screwing one extra light bulb.

My other choice would be Jefferson:

I feel its all on how you look at it, we all have our opinions and we all feel our opinions are right..
    If you follow the reign of the past presidents they all had thier positive & negitive points and people like all of us on this and everyother board out there would do what some are doing here whineing, picking a part every negitive thing because they dont like the person/party in office. As I understand everything a president does while in office carries over into the next presidents reign and some still blame the new president for what the old president inacted... I guess it holds true some people just are not happy and feel better b*tching, whining, complaining & name calling until everyone around them either get just as unhappy & lash out at each other or thinks the person is a nutcase ....

12. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jim1eye @ Apr 8 2006, 02:19 PM) [snapback]236835[/snapback]</div>
    TRItto!

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    one of the easiest questions in a long time...John F Kennedy ESPECIALLY now.

he had been to war and knew what it was like. he would have found a way to protect our interests. he would not have hesistated to do what needed to be done, but at the same time would not have rushed our youth off to unnecessaryh danger either.

he cared for the people. he started the peace corps. his response to Katrina would have put bush to shame (as if anyone elses wouldnt have)

he had vision, he started us on a course to land on the moon. he realized that many many benefits of the advances in technology far outweighed the massive costs of the project. he was ALONE in this thinking,

14. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Clinton. With no hesitation whatsoever. In fact, I would've liked to see the term limit raised simply so he could have stayed. He could 1) Let Gore go crazy with his Environmentalism; 2) Use his diplomacy to get the country in the good graces with the rest of the world again (including figuring out how we can make the Kyoto accord work); 3) Get us out of debt (again); 4) Use his diplomacy and intelligence to get the government in Iraq started so we can get the hell out.

'Nuf said.

I would add that I would pick most ANY president from the past as long as he would replace the one we have now--even A. Johnson. Maybe not Carter, though...GREAT man, awful President. And not Nixon. We've already got a couple of crooks in this administration; we don't need another. With that, I'll stop, or I'm likely to start a rant...

15. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kirbinster @ Apr 7 2006, 05:11 PM) [snapback]236512[/snapback]</div>

AMEN!!! :D

16. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Apr 9 2006, 02:44 PM) [snapback]237207[/snapback]</div>
    Are you kidding? In today's world, he'd be considered even MORE of right wing Christian fanatic than Bush!

17. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 9 2006, 09:02 PM) [snapback]237348[/snapback]</div>

Gotta disagree Squid, I think today JFK would be considered a left wing funatic from the same mold as Michael Moore.

18. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tleonhar @ Apr 9 2006, 10:09 PM) [snapback]237350[/snapback]</div>
    Gee, let's see, hardcore Catholic, Bay of Pigs in an attempt to overthrow what the left would consider a sovereign nation (even though the plan originated prior to Kennedy, he sure as hell did nothing to stop it), hmmm... doesn't sound too characterisitic of the left... What DOES sound characteristic of the left, is screwing up bay of pigs, and ultimately bringing the world to the brink of NUCLEAR WAR. Gee, thanks... :rolleyes:

19. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the reason why JFK was killed was he refused to go along with status quo... we have been taking up the wazoo ever since

20. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I always did like Regans quotes though,
    Example:

1."Here's my strategy on the Cold War:
    We win, they lose."

2"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

3."The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so."

4."Of the four wars in my lifetime none came about because the U.S. was too strong"

5."I have wondered at times about what the Ten Commandment's would have looked like if Moses had run them through the U.S. Congress."

6."The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination."

7."Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."

8."If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under."

9."The nearest thing to eternal life we will ever see on this earth is a government program."

10."I've laid down the law, though, to everyone from now on about anything that happens: no matter what time it is, wake me, even if it's in the middle of a Cabinet meeting."

11."It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."

12."Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

13."Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book."

14."No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.