1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

If you totaled your Prius....

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by MrMischief, Jul 7, 2016.

1. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Lets assume you had a car loan that you either put enough cash down on to not be upside down, or you had gap insurance. Something happens that totals the car, it's a complete loss, insurance writes you a check for it so you end up with no car and when you're done handling the bank you've got maybe a couple of grand in your pocket. What car do you buy and why? Would you get another Gen 4 Prius? Do you get some other fuel efficient car like maybe a Volt? Do you say screw it and buy that used Hummer you've always wanted because "damnit this time a deer won't total it!"

For me.... I'm not sure what I'd do. I don't LOVE my Prius, I like it, it's good for what it is but I have other cars that I LOVE and would never get rid of. There's nothing in this price point I'm particularly excited by. I certainly wouldn't be against getting a Prius, assuming nothing bad happened in the wreck to change my opinion of it, but I would probably be back to looking at who has what I believe to be the best deals then see which one works out. I may try a longer test drive in a Ford C-Max Energi to see how I do on fuel economy with it compared to the Prius. The Ford dealer I went to was not interested in showing me a C-Max at all though, partly my fault because I really like the SHO and my local Ford dealer knows this.

2. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I only have a gen 3, but if it happened to me it would probably be between the Camry hybrid, another Prius, and the accord hybrid. For my work drive I don't think I could go back to ICE only (it is a beat down of stop lights and traffic), but I would at least like to try a couple of different hybrids to see what they are like. I don't know that I could trust ford/Chevy on reliability, even though I hear they have gotten better.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hard to believe many new gen 4 owners are ready to move on so soon, but theres always a few disgruntled customers. buyers remorse, sore back, sore wallet, whatever.

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  4. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If I researched and selected my Prius Four in January, seems most unlikely that anything could change enough in six months to change my mind. I would get the exact same car!

5. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Both times I was in not-at-fault accidents -- first one totalled, second was repairable -- I couldn't wait to get out of the rental Corolla and back into a Prius. The Corolla drove fine and had plenty more pick-up-and-go. But the engine... just would. not. stop. That, and I never remembered to take the keys out of my pocket until after I was seated -- never needed to with a Smart Key.

Is the Prius the only car that could satisfy me, no, of course not. I looked at other options this last time around. I'd have had a Tesla if money weren't a factor. I've had three Prii now, so my vote is pretty clear.

bisco and krmcg like this.
  6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    As Lee used to say, "If you can find a better car, buy it." My replacement list is short and Chevy isn't on it. I can't even imagine what GM would be willing to do to get me into a Volt. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

krmcg likes this.
  7. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It'd almost certainly be another Gen 4, at this point - I'm thoroughly impressed by it.

I'd maybe consider a Prime instead, if I knew I could plug it in, but considering that I didn't have to buy a car (I could've kept driving my Miata as the daily), and my choice was to go Gen 4 rather than wait...

8. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would buy my same exact Prius model again, too. (Maybe a different color.)

Toyo tires and all! :D

Tande and krmcg like this.
  9. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I would probably consider pulling a few more dollars out of my wallet and moving up to a PiP, but definitely another Prius.

10. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mr Mischief, did something happen to your Prius?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it wasn't long after that, i sold my last chrysler.:cool:

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  12. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Me too, but I might (might) consider a black car with white trim :)

13. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No buyer's remorse on my part. I think the Prius was a smart financial decision at the time. It's a good car, no complaints (okay the seats aren't great, the stupid qi charger is stupid, I'm sure there are other things I can complain about but they don't come to mind immediately), but if I was thrust back into the market today I would probably once again look to see what the best bang for my buck might be.

nope, got a scratch in the driver's door somehow (those damn kids with their skateboards!! actually.... it was probably me, I bet i was holding something when I went to open the door), but that's it. A friend of mine just hit a deer with his VW TDI Sportwagon. With the value hit they took due to diesel gate he thinks it might be on the verge of being totalled, not sure how they factor in the buyback from VW that will apparently happen. Anyways; Got me thinking about the Subaru forester forum I was reading when I was considering one of those. A guy had a 2016 Forester, hit a deer which for some reason set off every airbag in the car. The cost of the damage plus the airbags totaled the car. He bought another Forester and everyone proclaimed how safe the car was. Seems to me that is unsafe. A deer likely is not a big enough impact that I view airbags should go off. I want the airbags to remain where they are at the ready in the event that if I then go into the ditch or something stupid, you know, so they can be used when I really need them. In that Subaru and my buddy's VW case I would not be buying the same car again and would take a financial hit to avoid them. The prius, maybe I'd buy one again, but I'd have to see if it made financial sense over something else. Most likely I will never go back to a traditional ICE powered car as my daily commuter. I would maybe go look at a volt again and try to talk myself into one. "I only ever really need two seats, the lower bumper bit is just rubber it's engineered to be scraped along on the road, the tax incentive helps make up for the stupid high price....."

#13 MrMischief, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016
  14. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In the case of the TDI deer strike, his best bet is to not claim against insurance at all, if it can move under its own engine power at all.

(That's the standard for whether they'll do a buyback.)

15. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Busted an intake pipe and some other stuff. The motor is not happy due to boost leaks and such

16. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    When a semi ran a red light and carried my Gen 2 several blocks, I got a v. While a Gen 4 would be on my list if that happened today, I am about to change my lifestyle to not involve driving 30,000 miles a year with cargo. I may find a used C or a Leaf more sensible once retired. (again) I think my point is what car I buy depends on what use I have for it. Today a red v would be very attractive, but I would be swayed by a gen 4. Tomorrow there might be a Prime.

17. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If at all financially possible, park it, get something else to drive in the mean time, and then drag it to the VW dealer come buyback time - that'll get significantly more payout than taking an insurance offer. The motor won't be happy, but if it can move the vehicle under its own power at all...

(Edit: Unofficial VW Settlement Calculator is a buyback value calculator that a friend did.)

#17 bhtooefr, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  18. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My insurance policy says "we will replace your vehicle with a new vehicle of the same make, model, engine, features, paint, options, accessories as long as it is [still] available in Australia if the vehicle is a total loss, you purchased it new ... and is less than 2 yrs from when it was first registered ... if declared a total loss". [If not available, they will make a payout.]. So, seeing Gen 4 is still a current model, and I've only had mine a week, and would go straight back and get another.

I have heard of people negotiating a different model or outcome in the past, but I'm not sure if all insurance companies will agree. Maybe I'd go for Hypersonic-Emotional Red.

So if there was an option - in 6 mths time - I'd look at the Hyundai Hybrid with Plug-In if it comes here. 12 mths time, the CT-200 replacement. 2 yrs time, VW might have their plug-in hybrids coming out. There might even be a 5 seater Prius Prime eventually. But still a good chance I'd go for a Gen 4 Prius (upgrade model).

19. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Air bags...yep the replacement cost can total cars.
    Like the OP picture, helmets for the win.

If a gen 4 prius was totaled...I might test drive the Ford max...based on local dealer reputation.
    Else, I'd look at another Toyota.
    Our local Toyota dealer is OK, not so sure about Honda, Mazda and Nissan local dealers.

No diesel for me, but maybe a Ducati :)

20. 16hyper

16hyper New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    image.jpg
    I own a Ducati and although I won't sell it because it's beautiful, I would never own another one. Same mileage as my pickup 6 times louder and 10 times more uncomfortable. Out of 7 bikes I have owned it is by far the worst. My wife's 2010 Cooper S was rear ended while at a stop. The hit pushed her into the car in front of her. 12k in repairs later it was not the same. This year when I was trading my 2012 CRV with a failing tranny in for a Pilot I also took a look at a 2015 Prius. It was some special edition that I thought was nice and priced right so I asked my wife to come drive it. She did and then drove the a 2016 ended up ordering a hyper red 2016 IV with all options because she wanted a sunroof. After the test drives she said it was night and day and liked the feel of the 16 much more. On a side note she said everyone was trying to pass her in the 15 but not in the 16, perhaps they did not know from a distance what it was and did not feel the need to pass the "Hybrid". Knowing I would be driving it as well I bought some new shoes and other do-dads for it and I like the car. If I was buying one I might purchase the white thinking it would stay cooler not cleaner. I have owned the 2nd gen Honda insight and can say that her car ihasa much better hybrid system. I like the Accord hybrid and my father claims outstanding mileage but I'm not sure if I buy it. It is a better driving car than the Prius. I like the New Volt but don't care for pricing. The price should be what it is and should not have to depend on my tax money in the form of rebates to lower the price after the fact. So yes, I would buy it again unless it was next year and the Prime was sitting on the lot. With 8Kw in solar panels being installed I think we could spare some power to keep it topped off.