1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

If your hatch rattles over sharp bumps...

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by soldierguy, Jun 29, 2016.

1. soldierguy

soldierguy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...try this. It's a closed cell foam tape, similar to what's used to provide a moisture barrier between a camper shell and truck bed. I did a quick hack job just to see if it would kill the rattle, and it did. Since it works, I'll cut something a little cleaner to fit better in the hole.

[​IMG]

2. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Looks like the foam is on the bumper cover clip.
    Good idea however.

The weatherstrip is not contacting the hatch firmly enough...is that the root issue?

Alexander santiago likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you ask the dealer to adjust it?

4. soldierguy

soldierguy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't had time to have the dealership try to adjust it...I have some very long days, with the 230 mile round-trip commute plus 8-9 hours at work, 5 days a week. It's going in to the dealer Friday (I took the day off), but even with that, I don't have time...as soon as it's done with the 10K service, we are heading out of town for the weekend. Having them look at it would mean they'd have to drive it to duplicate it, then pull panels off, adjust, test, adjust, test, etc. I could see it turning a quick oil & filter change and tire rotation into a a 4-6 hour dealer visit. No time for that at this point.

Because it's a metallic-sounding rattle, I think the latch is a little out of adjustment. Haven't had the time to pull the interior hatch panels off to see if there is a simple adjusting screw or something under the covers. I may get to it...I may have the dealer adjust it at some point...or I may not get around to it, and let the foam tape do the job, because it was literally about 3 minutes to cut it and stick it in there, and it works.

jbkendrick and bisco like this.
  5. ShaAnn

ShaAnn Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You may want to check the license plate frame....I put on a metal one on my Prius c and had a horrible rattle when ever I went over a bumpy road or parking lot....I couldn't figure out the rattle until my daughter told me to check the metal license plate frame....bingo....I took it off and she was quiet once more......

soldierguy likes this.
  6. soldierguy

soldierguy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought of that. When I first got the car it had a metal dealer license plate frame. That was the first thing to go. It's definitely the hatch, almost certainly the latch. Putting those little bits of foam tape in there killed the rattle.

7. Anastaceyrose

Anastaceyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I wonder if that is the source of my rattling too! It drives me crazy and I cannot locate it. My best guess was that it was the spare tire and tools but I checked it out and tried jiggling everything under there but it wasn't it! I check my license plate too.....I made an appointment with the dealership to take her in next week, hopefully they can locate the rattles!

8. Anastaceyrose

Anastaceyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm at the dealership now, dropping it off to get the rattle checked! I'll post an update when I pick it up. Hopefully they find it!

krmcg likes this.
  9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I suppose we can't get away from hatch rattles, eh? Part of owning a hatchback. I've noticed there's a very slight misalignment in the doors. They're rubbing against the body. It's probably from the rough roads and constant body flexing (there's a ramp I go up and I make a turn at the top). But this is the Gen 3. Hopefully the Gen 4's torsional rigidity is higher.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i haven't had a rattle in 3 pri. just lucky?

11. Anastaceyrose

Anastaceyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just picked up my car (finally)! It ended up being that a nut on one of my rear shocks was loose, no more frustrating rattles!! They also did my 15,000 mile service since my mileage was almost there anyway.

bisco and jbkendrick like this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, good catch by the dealership service gal.