1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

If your kid a got a full ride scholarship to Harvard, would you be happy?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Jul 20, 2007.

1. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(formerVWdriver @ Jul 21 2007, 04:09 PM) [snapback]482931[/snapback]</div>
    Then why did you just write:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(formerVWdriver @ Jul 21 2007, 08:52 AM) [snapback]482775[/snapback]</div>
    That seems to be an irrational fear that is contradictory to your own experience and is unsupported by the real truth of an Ivy League education. Don't you trust your smart kid to be at least as able as you were to see through so-called "liberal propaganda disguised as the truth." The truth is that you are afraid that your smart kid will think, come to his or her own conclusions and discover a world that is different than yours.

:rolleyes:

As for me, I would be ecstatic if my daughter gets a full ride scholarship to Harvard. That is her number one choice and she is a straight A student at a school with a pretty good track record of getting kids into that university.

2. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jul 21 2007, 07:57 PM) [snapback]482966[/snapback]</div>
    Harvard/westlake?

3. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Most young adults are already either liberal or conservative by the time they get to college, but they often will adopt new ideas. Often with the fervor of a recent convert. By 30, most of the kids I've seen are back to the basic views they grew up with (unless they are still in school or smoking dope, both of which retard development).

Most really conservative professors are in private or religious colleges, rather than in the ivy league or good state sponsored schools. Most of the professors in the liberal arts schools in the colleges are liberal; but you will find some conservatives in the business, economics, medical and other bio-science schools within the colleges.

4. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    HTTP 404 Not Found

5. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Jul 21 2007, 10:07 PM) [snapback]483084[/snapback]</div>
    Although I find it impossible to believe, it just dawned on me that many conservatives would not attend/send their kids to a liberal arts college because of the word 'liberal' in the title. Please allow me a definition here:

Liberal Arts: The study of the humanities (literature, the arts, and philosophy), history, foreign languages, social sciences, mathematics, and natural sciences. Study of the liberal arts and humanities prepares students to develop general knowledge and reasoning ability rather than specific skills.
    www.collegeboard.com/highered/res/asc/got/got_g_o.html

Take note of the second sentence: Study of the liberal arts and humanities prepares students to develop general knowledge and reasoning ability rather than specific skills.

Therein lies the problem for conservative-father-figure people bred to be followers. ..."to develop general knowledge and reasoning ability"...

Scary, Huh?? Once you learn to reason for yourself you no longer swallow the pablum the neocons want to scare you with. Won't allow yourself to become indoctrinated? Ability to think and reason for yourself? Why, you're now a LIBERAL!!! (according to some). Reality is, even a conservative can earn a liberal arts education and remain true to their beliefs. Liberal Arts education does not equal politically liberal doctrine.

No, dear readers, a liberal arts education has nothing to do with being indoctrinated as a liberal. It is a general studies program exposing one to a plethora of subjects, theories, and how to think for yourself. With such a general and broad scope of education, a natural outcome is ability to reason.

I'm willing to bet my bottom dollar some people forsake a 'free ride' to a liberal arts college out of fear of becoming liberal politically. We may be talking about college here, but most people have to be smart to attend college (unless you are a legacy student like junior). Smart people (whether 'educated' or not) have learned to think for themselves and are therefore by definition not swayed politically by hucksters.

6. formerVWdriver

formerVWdriver New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Jul 21 2007, 08:57 PM) [snapback]482965[/snapback]</div>
    I'm a conservative. I've got absolutely no problem with evolution. I don't know but two people who don't believe in evolution, and I'm living right here on the buckle of the bible belt.

And you're right. No one owns the truth. While there is probably an absolute truth out there, in most fields we are just dealing with the facts du jour. This is why our children are using different textbooks than the ones we used. Knowledge has changed -- and the interpretation of that knowledge is what most of us call "truth."

I have no problem with my child drawing a different conclusion from my own. I have a problem with her being exposed to only one version of interpretation. That's propaganda and brainwashing, I'd I'll pay extra not to get it.

7. formerVWdriver

formerVWdriver New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Jul 22 2007, 01:20 PM) [snapback]483170[/snapback]</div>
    Oh for Pete's sake.

When I ask for a liberal dose of hot fudge on my ice cream, do you think I'm wanting leftie hot fudge?

If you think "liberal" and "liberal arts" are difficult words that conservatives couldn't possibly understand, there is no hope for you.

Look into how many traditionally conservative churches have founded and support colleges. What kinds of colleges do they start? Liberal arts!

We don't think "liberal arts" is a code name for lobotomy.

8. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No rational person believes in evolution. Evolution is a nonbelief system, based on rigorous, and repeatedly and continuously tested evidence. A liberal arts education teaches a person to think critically, not just memorize dogma.

Harvard offers excellent science, math, engineering, medicine and liberal arts, along with many other universities.

9. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Jul 22 2007, 10:20 AM) [snapback]483170[/snapback]</div>
    Spare me your condescension. Its obvious from the context of my message that I was using the term "liberal arts" in the classic manner. In parsing each message for your "gotcha moment", you have missed the context, a failure of comprehension all too common today. Read all the words next time.

Profs in liberal arts are more likely to be left of center. If you do find conservatives in the university, they are more likely to be in the business, science or engineering schools.

(and in case anyone else is looking for "gotchas", the universities here in California are organized into the "School of Buisness", "School of the Humanities", "School of Sciences", and it is within this context that I talk about "schools" within the "university").

10. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Jul 22 2007, 12:20 PM) [snapback]483170[/snapback]</div>

Nothing like having a condescending liberal set us all right. And I always thought liberal arts meant paintings of governments workers filling out mountains of forms ... <_< . So if a liberal arts education teaches one to think and reason for yourself, how is it there are people that come out of college conservative? I guess they just didn't "get it".