1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

If you're not part of the solution, then you're a part of the problem!

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Mirza, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Yeah, that sounds like China... <_<

They tend to think that we're trying to screw them over by not letting them to certain things (like polluting) and simply point out the "if you (the rest of the world) can do it, why can't we?"

Which is kinda retarded cause they're in the perfect position to leapfrog everyone else and take the lead but they don't seem to want to.

2. Mirza

Mirza New Member

This guy is the kind of source viking gets his "information" from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Milloy

You ought to take a look at what the numbskull wrote about the WTC tragedy...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Milloy..._Center_tragedy

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  4. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Feb 11 2007, 08:09 PM) [snapback]388647[/snapback]</div>
    Too bad you feel cornered and have to resort to name calling, the internet equivalent of raising the white flag. I do understand your evident frustrations as more and more solid evidence points to the myth of AGW.

Tsk-tsk, wonder how long before I am compared to Hitler. Not quite sure of your seemingly altruistic reference to Muslims (do they have an AGW agenda?), but I can assure you they are looking for no sympathies from anyone (yes, even you) this side of the Atlantic.

I think we can all say with confidence your arguments are "out of gas".

Rick

#4 2006

5. Mirza

Mirza New Member

You're alone in your "analysis." Hope you don't run out of business when GHG regulation hits you ;).

(I resort to name-calling for those who deserve... IE liars who confuscate important issues. I find you highly lacking in morals... I consider you on about the level of a rodent... in all honesty :)... care to take a wild guess on where I learned name-calling from?)

6. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Eh, I'm done w/ the insulting - should have never stooped down to your level... but then again....

Anyhow, the cosmic radiation hypothesis you mentioned got blown out of the water:

Check out the other info.

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archi...r-in-the-times/
    http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archi...ays-for-a-spin/

Personally, I get the feeling that you actually don't have a strong opinion on global warming in itself... but rather on what you perceive it means to you (IE regulation)... I'm actually quite curious about your psychology.

Anyhow, I've been communicating a little bit with one of the contributors to realclimate.org - and, well, I'll be posting what has been found out about the corporate shills you get your "information" from... that will be coming later - since it's a long post and I have to get to studying.

7. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(viking31 @ Feb 11 2007, 03:39 PM) [snapback]388527[/snapback]</div>
    The oil companies or automakers have acknowledged global warming and are working on either alternatives that would transition away from oil or improve efficiency in cars because they've been called out.

Even after acknowledging that there is a problem with global warming, these industries are frantically trying to delay the inevitability of their own irrelevance... part of that is the astroturf that you've stumbled upon that claims that global warming is a myth.

They are trying to make nice with all of the critics, while at the same time, funding sciastitutes and other groups to astroturf about how global warming is a myth to give them a few more decades to make the rest of the money they can out of the little oil that's left in the ground.

Trying to spin the intentions of the people trying to solve global warming by saying they're motivated by money primarily is just disingenuous, especially compared to the two-facedness of the oil companies.

Sure, money is a motivation, but there's nothing wrong with that. This is capitalism, isn't it? I am a big believer that if the US can get out ahead in investing in alternative energy and other solutions, we'll maintain our economic lead, rather than lose it. We can fund a new Manhattan project... It's a win-win, in my book... we'll save the world, save civilization, and we'll also make money off of the new industries that an alternative energy future will stimulate.

8. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LaughingMan @ Feb 14 2007, 01:49 AM) [snapback]390083[/snapback]</div>
    This is what I don't get. Why wouldn't we want to be at the forefront of a massively disruptive technology? There are security, environmental/public health, and financial/economic benefits. Any one of them is huge but combined they really should be a massive incentive.

9. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(viking31 @ Feb 11 2007, 02:39 PM) [snapback]388527[/snapback]</div>
    That is because the UN is the UNITED NATIONS not the United States. The UN is there to promote what is best for the ENTIRE world not just the rich nations of the world. Some seem to think that just because the UN doesn't rubber stamp every proposal the US makes that they aren't doing there job. On the contrary that is their job. The US and other wealthy nations don't need the UN to promote our interest, we self-promote quite well.

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jhinton @ Feb 19 2007, 09:57 PM) [snapback]393136[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly!

Some people are so ethnocentric it is amazing.