1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ignition Coils and Spark plugs recomendations please

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by alanew, Dec 4, 2014.

1. alanew

alanew Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So, I'm loving Prius Chat! Since I've gotten my 07 used I've done all the oil and filter changes, break, and the small battery (on the coldest day of that year burrrr) now I'm thinking Ignition Coils and Spark plugs need to be replaced the NGK Iridium look to be the better choice for the plugs what about the coils? Is there a difference and which are recommended to improve the gas mileage. Pris (Bladerunner anyone?) hasn't had either changed since 60k and is now a little over 130k

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Why replace the coils if they look good and you have no fault codes?

3. alanew

alanew Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    What are this these "Fault Codes" you're talking about and how do I find them?

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dashboard lights ie Check engine lights.

Its not a bad idea to replace the cops at 130,000. Use the original cops. use NGK or Denso's splugs. Been a few reports of misfires after sparkplug change because of tiny tears in boot leaking hi volt. These tears sometimes happen when you pull off the boot no way around it. The boot has been exposed to fierce heat and 7 years of use. Also we have seen a distorted end of the boot not sealing around the plug.

I'm going to replace the cops also when I do my plugs. Because I dont want to go back in there later. Cops are very high failure items on cars especially when they get old and start to intermittently misfire.

Buy them online or eBay.

5. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Code reader plugged into obd2-port. Misfire code would be set if you have bad coils. Or for some other reason. But if your fault light isn’t on you probably don’t have codes for misfire.

I normally just inspect boots carefully when they are out.

6. alanew

alanew Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    edthefox5
    What are 'cops' other than the gun toting types who try to uphold the law, and I don't think they fit in the engine ;).

By the way I'm a female self taught car mechanic, I've only worked on an 1998 Corolla and now this Prius.

valde3
    Also is there a way to have the car show error codes and not use a plugin reader?

7. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You must have a Prius "aware" scanner. The average generic scanner will only pick up some of the codes. You can use Techstream on a laptop. There are hacked versions floating around on Ebay that you can get. Or you can have the dealer pull the codes for you. They use the Techstream software also. Do a google search on the software for more info.

Great to see more gals on this board working on their Pri. Best of luck to you.

Ron (dorunron)

JohnInArizona likes this.
  8. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    COP = Coil On Plug. Every plug has its own coil and its directly on plug.

No you do need scanner. But if your fault light hasn’t been on there probably aren’t codes.

Basically you have three options with those COPs. You can just replace them with plugs. You can inspect boots when COPs are out and only replace ones that are broken. Or you can just put them back on and only replace them if you get fault light.

Anyway you should use Toyota COPs. I don’t think you can only replace the boot?

#8 valde3, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
    Dale V and edthefox5 like this.
  9. alanew

alanew Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So if there is no "Red Triangle Of Death" popping up at any time and the car is preforming normally getting errors codes checked is considered preventive? Correct? My dealership charges for Everything can Pepboys or AutoZone check for the codes also?

I used the How do you replace the 12v battery? | PriusChat to replace my 12v a few years ago and the video was extremely helpful.

10. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    IMO, as long as you NOT seeing any lights on the dash board (red triangle) or CEL, then you will have NO codes present that need to be addressed. That does not mean that there might be some pending.

You can scan all day long with the scanner, but if nothing is there then it is a waste of time and not preventative maintenance. Just my opinion though...

Autozone and PepBoys use generic scanners. Those scanners are NOT Prius aware... Therefore they are only going to pick up basic engine codes and stuff, but not everything you MIGHT need when you need it the most.

It's sort of like using a crescent wrench to remove a lug nut that is torqued to 90 ft/lbs. It just doesn't cut the mustard...

Ron

11. alanew

alanew Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    COP = Coil On Plug. Every plug has its own coil and its directly on plug.
    So it would be smart to have COP's on hand if needed just in case.

I'm figuring Fault Light and Red Triangle of Death are the same.

Thank you for the help. I only have one vehicle and try to have everything needed before I start.

12. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    "Red Triangle Of Death" is just one fault light its main fault light.

13. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If everyone did this, it would be much simpler. But not everyone has the money to do it. Doing what you are doing shows you think methodically.

Ron

14. alanew

alanew Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Changing spark plugs is going to be the cars x-mas present. Finding a Prius Aware computer that doesn't charge or minim charges is something I'm going to have to find. It sounds like something that'll tell me problems when they are small and easer to fix. Thanks all and I'll repost once the plugs are changed.

Is there is anything else I should do or check at this time?

15. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Boots on those COPs unless you’re changing them. Make sure engine is cold when doing that and don’t tighten them too tight. And if for same reason it’s hard to get old ones out go back and forth and don’t force it.

16. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just be sure to clear the wells where the plugs are BEFORE you pull them. Use compressed air to blow out any dust, dirt, leaves, etc. Otherwise you run the risk of foreign objects entering combustion chamber. It has also been said here on this board to NOT lube (anti seize) the threads on the new plugs. Put them in dry. Torque them to the proper setting with a torque wrench. I can't remember the proper torque. Patrick Wong posted that info here on this board and it can be found by doing a Google search.

As stated above, don't be surprised if they are tight. Lot's of heat there and been in there for a long time. Use patience and work slowly. Keep all tools straight in line with the plugs and you should have no problems. Also don't over torque the little bolts on the coils. Again Patrick Wong posted that info.

Ron

17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    RTOD is red triangle with red exclamation point in it. That is Master Alarm. It means pay attention when you see that as bad things are about to happen.

18. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Correct, if no codes, leave the coils alone, No need to waste $$$.

DBCassidy

19. alanew

alanew Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So changing sparkplugs took a little longer than planned. Cold weather, rain , snow, holiday festivities and the such. I got them changed a few weekends ago and it was easy peasy. I just took my time and did one at a time. The things I learned are, 1. if you are ambidextrous the job is a little easier, 2. have a sparkplug socket that holds the plugs snugly that's a long tube to thread the plug into, and 3. do your best not to spill oil when filling up after oil changes, you don't need that kind of extra mess. Thank you all for your assistance and answering my questions. For anyone one else reading this thinking about doing their spark plugs yourself, it's no harder than changing the oil and a little cleaner.

JohnInArizona likes this.
  20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did you need to take out the cowl at bottom of windshield, or wipers/motor? This is necessary with 3rd gen, a REAL pain: takes much longer than the actual plug swap.