1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ignition design makes Hyundais and Kias easy to steal with USB cords

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Georgina Rudkus, Aug 15, 2022.

1. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Ignition design makes Hyundai, Kia easy to steal with USB cord | ksdk.com

[​IMG] [​IMG]

ST. LOUIS — Donald Nelson walked out of his Shrewsbury home at about 5 a.m. one morning in June, only to find himself the latest victim of a nationwide trend. Car thieves are exploiting a weakness in the ignition systems of certain popular brands of cars.

It allows criminals to steal thousands of Kias and Hyundais – just like Nelson’s – using nothing more than a USB cord.

“When I came out, I thought I was in the Twilight Zone,” Nelson recalled. “I thought, ‘Maybe I parked my car in a different spot?’”

A quick look at his home surveillance footage answered his question.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Credit: Nelson family
    His cameras picked up the last few seconds of his 2020 Hyundai Elantra speeding away without Nelson behind the wheel.

“Immediately I was thinking, ‘What am I going to do? How am I going to get to work? Where do I go next? What will happen with my insurance?’” he said.

He learned he’s not alone.

Police across the country say Kias models newer than 2015 and Hyundais newer than 2012 are at risk.

In St. Louis, thefts of those types of cars are up by nearly 400% compared to this time last year, according to St. Louis Police Capt. Janice Bockstruck.

Take Hyundais and Kias out of the city’s equation, and Bockstruck said total car thefts in the city would be down instead of up by 6%.

“That in itself speaks volumes that other makes and models of vehicles are down in our city but Kias and Hyundais are up,” she said.

The Kia Boyz
    In some areas, including Milwaukee, Wis., the car thieves named a gang after their favorite brand, calling themselves The Kia Boyz. Members have posted countless videos on social media showing themselves stealing cars and speeding through residential areas.

The City Council in Milwaukee contemplated filing a lawsuit against the automakers saying their vulnerable ignition systems are to blame for the city’s climbing crime rate. A class action lawsuit on behalf of Hyundai and Kia owners has been filed in federal court there, too.

In St. Louis, Bockstruck said many of the thieves are young. She doesn't believe they are going by the Kia Boyz name or organizing meetups through social media to show off their stolen goods together.

Still, the younger a car thief, the riskier it gets, she said.

Edelkrone Tos 16x9-d01
    FEATURED BY
    [​IMG]
    “They have less experience driving a vehicle and possibly more courage, so they drive erratically and recklessly throughout the city,” Bockstruck said. “No matter where you live, no matter what community you live in, if you have a Hyundai or a Kia, it’s vulnerable.”

Hyundai and Kia have known about the issue since last year, but Nelson said Hyundai never notified him about the trend.

“It would be nice if they would come out and replace the whole ignition system,” Nelson said.

Police say there is an easier fix, and the problem has forced the companies to change the ignition systems on newer models.

Engine immobilizers
    The problem, Bockstruck said, is many of the cars don’t have immobilizing technology, which requires the engine to read a computer chip inside a key to start.

Given the explosion of thefts, Kia and Hyundai have vowed to make the technology standard on all new models.

Attorneys for Kia and Hyundai have noted in federal court filings stemming from that Milwaukee class action lawsuit that their cars have not made the National Insurance Crime Bureau's list of the top 10 most stolen cars in 2021.

The attorney for the Hyundai and Kia owners suing the manufacturer wrote:

"The Milwaukee metropolitan area has — quite literally — been transformed into a game of Grand Theft Auto wherein the Kia Boyz are preying on the owners of these Class Vehicles to steal their cars in droves..."

Kia and Hyundai attorneys have filed a motion to dismiss the lawsuit, writing, in part: "Under Wisconsin law and under certain circumstances, an auto manufacturer may be obligated to warn vehicle owners of certain risks it discovers after the vehicles’ sale. Vehicle theft is not one such risk."

Attorneys for the automakers also argued the vehicles are not defective.

"Warranties do not cover situations in which a vehicle owner or lessee simply prefers an alternative material or an alternative design, as a different preference is not a defect. The so-called Defect at issue here — the possibility of theft — is simply not covered by either Kia or Hyundai’s express warranty," according to the filing.

Kia and Hyundai would not answer any of the I-Team’s questions, and sent statements.

Kia wrote: “Kia America is aware of the rise in vehicle thefts of certain trim level vehicles in the St. Louis area. As of the current 2022 Model Year, all Kia vehicles have an engine immobilizer fitted as standard. All Kia vehicles for sale in the U.S. meet or exceed Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.”

Hyundai wrote: “Hyundai Motor America is concerned with the rise in local auto thefts. The safety and well-being of our customers and the community is and will remain our top priority. These vehicles meet or exceed Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and engine immobilizers are standard equipment on all new Hyundai vehicles.”

“That will help with future car thefts, but that's not helping with cars that are currently in consumer use,” Bockstruck said.

Not even the police chief is immune to the crime.

Recently retired St. Louis Chief John Hayden’s 2018 Kia Optima was stolen outside his Central West End home earlier this month.

RELATED: Car stolen from former St. Louis Metropolitan Police chief

Police arrested a 15-year-old boy after chasing him and using a Taser to subdue him. An officer injured his leg running after him, according to a police source.

Bockstruck said car owners like her former chief and Nelson should invest in an anti-theft device called The Club – which can lock a steering wheel – or park their cars indoors.

“A visual of (The Club) alone will have the person move on to the next vehicle and not attempt to steal your vehicle,” she said. “We have not seen any of them with a car Club attached to it that have been stolen.”

Bockstruck said St. Louis police are also trying to work with Kia and Hyundai dealerships to inform consumers about the issue and distribute Clubs, but “that hasn’t come to fruition at this time.”

Local auto parts store clerks have told 5 On Your Side they are running low on Clubs, as Hyundai and Kia owners scramble to find them.

Finding stolen cars
    Shrewsbury police told Nelson his stolen car was found about one month after it went missing.

It ended up at Terry’s Towing in Maplewood, where even the tow lot owner’s daughter, Grace Romines, has been a victim.

Her 2015 Kia Optima was stolen from her apartment parking lot two months ago. She used a tracking app and found it dumped in Rock Hill. She had it towed to her father’s lot. That same day, another stolen Kia came into her father’s lot with the Terry’s Towing cup she kept in her car.

The day Nelson came to the lot looking for his car, Romines said there were at least 20 other stolen Kias and Hyundais there.

“All are the exact same,” she said. “The ignition is busted. The car is gone through, rampaged all the same. Every single one of them.”

One of them, a 2019 Kia Sorento, still had a USB cord still hanging from the ignition.

It belonged to Tommy Schuette of University City.

“I called the police and found out quickly after calling that this has been a problem all throughout the area,” he said. “The police officer even showed me a video on how criminals are learning how to do this.”

The thieves had taken his son’s car seat, but police found the car within hours of it being stolen. There were marijuana buds on his dash, exterior damage and a tire was flat, but Schuette said he is hopeful his insurance company will fix it. He estimates he will be without a car for months in the meantime.

Nelson found his work ID, parking pass, umbrella and a letter his girlfriend wrote him still inside his stolen car – even after it was missing for a month.

He also found some things that didn’t belong to him, including marijuana buds, condom wrappers, candy and fast food trash.

“You just never really think it's going to happen to you,” he said. “I mean, especially in my neighborhood. There’s a police station right down the street, a police officer lives across the street.”

He said he feels for other victims who don’t have a second car to use like he did while his car was missing or good insurance.

Nelson said his insurance company totaled his car and gave him a check.

He’s going to use the money to buy a new car, and it won’t be a Hyundai or a Kia.

Where to buy a steering wheel lock
    Clubs are available for $15 at the Five Star Senior Center at 2832 Arsenal St, the St. Louis' Citizens Service Bureau or at the Department of Revenue. Residents should call ahead to City Hall to check availability, bring proof of city residency, and pay in cash.

For more information about the clubs, call 314-622-4800 or visit the city's website.

Non-St. Louis residents can find the devices online or at most auto parts stores.

Have concerns about your vehicle?
    Kia’s Consumer Affairs hotline is 1-800-333-4542.

Hyundai customers can call the Hyundai Consumer Assistance Center at 800-633-5151.

Related Articles

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Kinda took it for granted cars these days have engine immobilizers.

3. Krall

Krall Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    USB cord, not a stick?

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm still trying, without much success, to picture this.

5. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Post copied from a member of the Kia Forum USA for those of you with Hyundia or KIA vehicles who may be interested in this subject..

"I spoke with Kia this afternoon and was told that any Kia with the "immobilizer" is immune to this issue as the absence of the fob (with the chip) will not permit the engine to start regardless of any attempt at hotwiring. How do you know if your Kia has the immobilizer? You look for this icon on your dashboard display before you power on the engine (where shifting into Drive or Reverse would actually move the car); I think they call that "accessory mode".
    [​IMG]

Apparently, the vehicles that are having issues are the models with the key start rather than the pushbutton start.

#5 John321, Aug 15, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
  6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's why car-jackings have exploded in 'some areas.'

With key fobs, cars are much harder to boost, requiring the would-be car parts shopper to take the car while the owner is in the vehicle and the vehicle is booted up.

7. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Sounds like they pull the ignition apart to get to the innards, and plug into something there.

Immobilizer chips inside the key where a thing long before push button start. Hyundai/Kia cut a standard security measure to save some cash, hoping no one would notice, but a group of ner'do'well's have.

John321 likes this.
  8. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My dad says that it reminds him of how Ford decided to to shield the gas tamk from rear end crashes in order to save money and increase profits, calculating that it would be less costly to pay for wrongful death claims from fiery crashes. They ended up settling both thw wrongful death suits, anyway, and refitting all the Pinto gas tanks anyway.

Ford's lack of care for the customer is legendary in the annals of automotive history.

9. Krall

Krall Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You still have to gain entry to the car though, right? So I'm assuming that people aren't locking their cars. Apparently this started as a 'tiktok' challenge.

John321 likes this.
  10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That's one side of the story. The other is that the chance of fire in a Pinto was no worse than other cars in its class, most of which had the gas tank in the same place as the Pinto. Ford had designed a fuel bladder for the tank, and even considered early air bags for the Pinto, but market research showed people wanted the safety measures, but were unwilling to pay for it. Sounds unbelievable, but there is the more recent research showing the same attitude in regards to fuel efficiency.

The values for lives people attributed to Ford actually came from the NHSTA. Ford was merely citing them in a report.

The real flaw in the Pinto was the engine. It was prone to stalling, which could lead to the car getting rear ended.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Pinto#Fuel_system_fires,_recalls,_and_litigation

11. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Getting into a car isn't much of a challenge....especially if you don't much care about the car.

The Yoo Tubes will instantly ban/demonetize any video that doesn't meet their "standards"...but you can get a PhD in clandestine automotive entry and acquisition without even bothering to be a subscriber to their premium service.
    Similarly, I just looked and the Amazons (who would sneer at the mere thought of selling certain things) gleefully sells everything you need to browse the inside of your friends and neighbors locked cars for fun and profit.

Krall likes this.
  12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They'll sell me a bear?

[​IMG]

13. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Only from Vermont.

14. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Yep...We have a 2012 Sonata Limited and a 2013 Elantra GT and and I was super worried about this at one point. Fortunately, both have push button start ( i.e. - has an immobilizer )...so we are good. (y)

Honestly...Kia/Hyundai really F'ed up on the non pushbutton start models...

15. Krall

Krall Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's really amazing what kind of weird, hypocritical, non-sensical world we are living in right now.

16. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    From what I have seen on the news, criminals are simply breaking in by breaking the window.
    These are not people that give any care. I’d say it is their goal to create damage.

I wouldn’t be surprised if some people who left their car unlocked still had broken windows.o_O

Krall likes this.
  17. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^
    That actually happened to me years ago.
    I was on travel in New Orleans with my POV in a disreputable area - which is to say, I was in New Orleans.
    The Hotel that dot.gov booked me into had an armed security guard, and if this person paid as much attention to the parking lot as he did to the night clerk, then the story would end here.
    However (comma!)

I parked my econo-hatch right by the front door, leaving it unlocked with the rear hatch actually not quite latched, thinking that if somebody opened the car and rifled through it they would quickly discover that there was nothing inside worth stealing.
    At 0400, after about 2 hours of sleep, I was awakened by the night clerk to inform me that, of course, my car had been broken into.
    The cretin smashed the rear hatch glass (latching it) and further damaged my poor car by bleeding copiously into the cargo area.

Karma wasn't quite finished with this event though.
    The only other car that was broken into belonged TO.....(of course) the armed security guard.

18. Krall

Krall Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You're probably right, civility has gone out the window! Half the world is nuts now. The news is filled with violent events during what should be normal day to day events for most of us. I'm putting in cameras on my house now after seeing the standard of amazon delivery people in my neighborhood.

19. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn’t go that far.
    I’m just saying this particular group (and fans) seem hell bent on causing mayhem.
    There are lots of more ‘well behaved’ thieves who check for unlocked cars and steal from the low hanging fruit.