1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ignition issues 05 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by GodWins, Sep 3, 2022.

1. GodWins

GodWins New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    Hello,

I am absolutely stumped. My friend just got his Drivers License and Sr22. He's had a rough go at life but has turned things around in the last few years. I was saving my 05 Prius for him once he got his license.

He got a ride up here last night and we went through the car so he would be able to drive it back home. WE tested the 12v battery and it was good, we hooked it up to the car and it started.
    Then we shut the car off and proceeded to button everything up so he could leave

The Combination meter is bad and it missed the recall so we don't have any dash lights right now.

We said good by and he went to start the car, and nothing.

Only a Red Car with an exclaimation point where the consumption (green) car normally is on the display monitor.
    Steps we have taken so far.

12 Volt battery tested and is good.
    Checked all fuses, no issues
    tried disconnecting 12v battery over night
    12v Battery has good connections

Car will go into Aux 1 and 2 modes, Keyfob will unlock lock and is accepted into the manual insert.

The brake actuator kicks on, the stereo kicks on, but the engine will not kick on

I am totally stumped, He was hoping to have the car for work Monday, the hybrid mechanic can not come till Tuesday.

Any ideas on what I should try or how to better diagnose are greatly appreciated. I did look for similar threads but did not find one, if there is one sorry for the duplication.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well if you read the codes, most likely you'll have a P0AA6 code, for a voltage isolation fault. This will allow you to start the car one time after a reset. So to test this theory, disconnect the 12v battery negative for a few seconds and reconnect. If the car starts, then that is your problem.

There are a few areas that can cause this fault code, but most likely it will be a leaking module in the HV battery.

SFO likes this.
  3. GodWins

GodWins New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    Thank you - I need to get an OBD reader. I had the HV battery reconditioned about 100 miles and 9 months ago. I'll see if I can grab a scanner. Thank you!

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    100 miles in 9 months is not great. Prii like to be driven quite a bit more than that – ideally 75-100 miles a week.

#4 dolj, Sep 4, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
  5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The 12v battery trick may have already been tried...

12 Volt battery tested and is good.
    Checked all fuses, no issues
    tried disconnecting 12v battery over night
    12v Battery has good connections

6. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base