1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ignition key slot question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cipsaz187, Apr 29, 2014.

1. cipsaz187

cipsaz187 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My gf purchased a 09 Prius a few months ago and we just found out you don't need to insert the fob into the ignition slot to start the vehicle..

So my question, what is the ignition slot for then?

2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Some models don't have the SKS (smart key system) so they need the slot. Also, if you want to, you can turn the SKS off and use the slot.

3. cipsaz187

cipsaz187 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Any benefits using the slot?

4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I cant say, as my Prius doesn't have the smart key system. So I always have to use the slot. I imagine though that some people could have times where they might want to disable it for safety or security.

In any case the SKS is an option in many locations, so they *need* to have slot there in the first place. I suppose they could plug the slot in SKS models, and not give you the option of ever bypassing/disabling it, but I can see no point in doing that.

Edit: Oh and of course you need to use the slot if the batteries ever go flat in the key fob. You wouldn't want to be completely stranded just because the little button battery in the fob went out. :)

dorunron likes this.
  5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    uart hit the nail right on the head. The slot when SKS is on the car is used in the event of the keyfob battery being dead.

At that point one would use the emergency metal key to open the driver's door, enter the Prius then put the dead fob in the slot and be able to make the Prius "Ready". After that they can go buy a new battery for the fob and replace it.

Ron (dorunron)

6. Scallywag

Scallywag Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Disabling it for SKS, interesting...
    I think the previous owner of my baby had that idea. After over a year of ownership, I discovered it was unplugged behind the dash (this weekend, while doing other work). I plugged it in. *shrug*

7. OCJeff

OCJeff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    When dropping your car at the Valet or car wash, it's where the key should be.

iPhone ?

CatsAreGods likes this.
  8. Jason in OZ

Jason in OZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    you should also turn off the SKS if the car is going to be left parked for an extended period.
    this will help to prevent the 12V from going flat.

Jason

9. s3nfo

s3nfo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I work on a Navy base and sometimes park next to the pier across the street from an aircraft carrier. I haven't figured out yet if it's the huge mass of metal across the street or if the carrier is using something RF that interferes with the SKS, but when there's a carrier parked at the pier my SKS won't work and the Prius won't start. But it ALWAYS starts if you put the key in the slot, dead battery, RF interference, huge mass of metal, makes no difference.

10. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's interesting. I'm certain it won't be due to the "large mass of metal" so it must be RF interference.