1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ignition Key Won't Turn.

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by DaveGoodrich, Nov 20, 2014.

1. DaveGoodrich

DaveGoodrich Member

Today I was unable to turn the ignition key to start the car. It is not the steering interlock, and no amount of wiggling while turning will get the ignition to turn. I tried both the keys I have (1 master and one valet key). Both keys are quite worn, but it seems unlikely that a new key from Toyota will be the answer.

Do I need a new ignition switch? Is the dealer the only option?

2. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Might call a locksmith or two.
    It might be worth gambling on paying their service call fee.......versus the cost to tow it to a dealer.

I have seen a few cars over the years where the steering interlock is VERY tight under the right circumstances.

Good luck.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Unlikely why?

You could have a key cut at any hardware store, and you could even try having a non-chipped key cut just to see if it would turn. But having a new key cut from your old worn key would kind of just give you a new worn key. Toyota should be able to look up your VIN and cut you a new new key. If that solves the problem it could save you the bother of replacing a bunch of lock cylinders.

-Chap

royfrontenac likes this.
  4. DaveGoodrich

DaveGoodrich Member

I did this today, and the non-chipped key cut from the key code at the dealer still didn't turn. Looks like I need a locksmith.

5. royfrontenac

royfrontenac Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the same proplem with my one 2001 prius, I have to very gently move the steering wheel back and forth (not violently) and gently turning the key, this occurred after the steering gear box was replaced at the dealer under warrenty. Sounds like you may have tried that?

Roy from Canada

6. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    In the 1970's and 1980's , I worked on a lot of steering columns.

You have to remove the steering wheel with a puller and a "lock plate" puller for the steering column lock.

There is a tab that retains the lock cylinder.

On most Japanese cars, the whole lock assembly is retained by two "one way" M8 bolts. If you remove the steering column cover, you can take them off by drilling out the center of the screws and using a broken screw extractor.

The electrical start-run ignition switch is retained usually by one screw. Remove and unplug it as well as the key buzzer switch.

The key cylinder must be turned to release it from the socket. Drilling it out is what the locksmith will do. He or she will get a new cylinder and use the correct "wafers" to match you original key.

I'd remove the assembly and take it to a locksmith. The last one I had done was 30 years, ago, in Maryland. It cost me $30.

7. dabard051

dabard051 Tinkerer-in-Charge

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For the Prius classic, it may also require a wiggle of the shift lever to allow the steering wheel to move enough to allow the key to turn in the cylinder.

Hope springs eternal...

8. DaveGoodrich

DaveGoodrich Member

Well, the ignition lock cylinder was broken. I had it replaced by a locksmith, who set it up to match my key.

royfrontenac and bwilson4web like this.
  9. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Way to go...

Sounded like the best option.

10. Easy Rider 2

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Would you share with us the cost for that service.......just for curiosity ?

11. DaveGoodrich

DaveGoodrich Member

It was about $300, including overnight shipping for the part, and a couple trips to my house. Other than the new traction battery at 286k, this is the single most expensive repair to this car I have had.

12. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Man....
    You can go broke keeping those Priuses on the road! :)

13. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Here's where a little knowledge and a little exploratory work could have saves you $200 plus and the heartache of having your car damaged and having it needing additional repairs.

Basically, only the lock cylinder had to be replaced and rekeyed. Disassembled and brought in to the locksmith, it would most likely have cost $75-$100; that's all.

The uninformed always pays through the nose.

If my working days, I NEVER mad a lot of money. I just spent and allocated wisely.

And, unfortunately, it's usually those who can afford it the least who have to "pay through the nose."

14. Easy Rider 2

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The other side of that coin is:
    Those who can't properly assess their own capabilities often pay through the nose TWICE as bad.

It is great that YOU have the expertise to do things like that yourself but a LOT of people don't and probably would end up with the car out of service even longer and paying even more for the damage they caused.

15. DaveGoodrich

DaveGoodrich Member

I'm sure it was unintentional, but your last post is a little condescending...

Believe me, I do not have others work on my car if I can avoid it. Other than having the traction battery replaced at Avi's with a new battery from Toyota, my car has not been in a shop (independent or dealer) since I have owned it (~255k miles). I didn't do that work myself because I needed it done quickly so I didn't miss work, and Avi's labor charges were very reasonable (the $/hour that I would have "paid myself" for doing it myself would have been very low). I have done all other required work (12v batteries, 2 - inverter coolant pumps, brakes, passenger side axleshaft assembly, oil changes, transaxle fluid changes, spark plugs, airfilters, and various miscellaneous stuff).

As you said in your first post, the lock cylinder has to be turned to get it out. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get it to turn with my original keys, or the key I had made based on the VIN. I'm not sure how the locksmith got it to turn, but he did not have to drill it out. He said he was very lucky to get it out because it was broken internally.

The towing was necessary because the key stopped turning while at a fast food joint at night in a bad neighborhood. The car couldn't have stayed there overnight while figuring out my options. I have 100-mile towing from AAA, so that choice was a no-brainer. I'm sure AAA will make me whole with respect to the bent tie rod issue.

16. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Not condescending. Just the facts on how to approach it at the least possible cost.

Picking it or drilling it is how the locksmith does it.

Done many of them.

If you don't like the answers. Don't ask them. You have been placed on my "ignore" or "unfriend" list.

17. DaveGoodrich

DaveGoodrich Member

I'm heartbroken.

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Please sir, can I be placed there too?

-Chap

19. Dr.Prius

Dr.Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Under the steering wheel there is an adjustment lever to adjust the position of the steering wheel. Pull the lever and adjust the steering wheel to the lowest position. Like magic your key will turn

20. the-wes

the-wes New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    This thread is a little old but it's still at the top of search results for "prius key won't turn" and similar. I tried everything suggested in here and still struggled, so I started digging in to find the problem. Eventually I got the lock cylinder out of its housing, and found one of the tumblers was sticking out. Then when I looked closer, I found that it wasn't "a" tumbler - but two half-tumblers. This gave me the hint I needed to search around on the problem, and I found a page describing my problem perfectly, though I can't post the link in here because this forum doesn't allow that for new users.

The short version is: take the lock cylinder out, find the split tumblers, remove them, and throw them away.

Explanation: Toyota came up with the "brilliant" idea of making their locks more pick-resistant by inventing these "split tumblers". They are more fragile than traditional tumblers, so even a tiny bit of wear can cause them to drop out of alignment. Just pull them and throw them away, and put the lock back together. This only affects 2 of the teeth on the key, so it's not like you're losing any practical level of security. Thieves don't pick locks anyway, they'll just force it or drill it or take it apart if given the opportunity.

ZeroM8 likes this.