1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

IIHS offset crash tests between heavier, larger cars vs. minicars

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Apr 14, 2009.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    (hope this isn't a repost)
    Crash tests: Small cars still less safe - Apr. 14, 2009
    IIHS news release

Great videos at IIHS-HLDI: Video.

The result shouldn't be terribly surprising due to the laws of physics since the "minicars" in question: Toyota Yaris, Smart ForTwo, and Honda Fit are in the ~1800 lbs. (Smart ForTwo) to sub-2650 lb. range and they're being crashed into 3000+ lb. cars.

A lot of people don't realize that the usual front crash tests (into fixed barriers) conducted by the IIHS, NHTSA and Europe NCAP can ONLY be compared to other vehicles w/similar weight (Frontal offset test information) and usually of the same class (Safercar.gov).

Although this isn't the first time it's been done, I'm glad to see them comparing a couple vehicles which aren't in the same weight and size class.

(As you might imagine, like most on here, I despise monstrosity class (full-sized) 5000+ lb. curb weight SUVs like Tahoes, Expeditions, Escalades, Yukons and their ilk.)

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    They featured this "story" this morning on the Today show. It was distilled down for people who do not understand basic physics and they cherry picked the most negative statements for the "story".

Most people who were the intended audience will probably go out and purchase a Tahoe. :mad:

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    easy fix. ban the big vehicles for all but professional drivers (no comments on what little effect a "certified driver" can be as far as safety goes is necessary)

4. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok, for a serious response, the manufacturers nailed it when the said that the likelihood of such an event is very small and nothing is perfectly safe. so we have an issue of continuing to waste away our resources for everyone or severely penalizing people who continue to be resource hogs while providing viable alternatives to people who want to be green.

i like Obama but will never forgive his stand on not raising gas taxes. $4 a gallon gas is the best way to equalize the crash field.

he authorized $10 B to fund high speed rail, but the cost of high speed rail from SF to LA would be 45 B , the cost to upgrade current "high speed" (which would not be classified as such any where else in the world because of its under 100 mph average speed) from Boston to DC would be over 10 B.

now i will give him credit that he has proposed funding to build 20 something corridors over the next several decades. well, put a gas tax of a Buck a gallon. that will give us the money to build the lines much quicker... also have the benefit of putting the soon to be available GM workers back on the payroll

**edit**

i guess raising the price of gas is the best way to increase safety. new stats out. highway deaths at lowest level in over 40 years. mostly contributed to people driving less or driving slower to conserve gas...

win: smaller cars, better gas mileage, less foreign oil bill
    win: provide funding for greener transportation options...rail power can be 100% renewable right now. air travel with 100% renewable energy..decades, maybe even centuries away

win: jobs and tons of them needed to install and upgrade the rail systems.

so why is gas so pathetically cheap???

5. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What part of "Force=Mass X Acceleration" do people not get!!!!

I.E. a SmartCar has a head on with a Expedition, Guess who loses?

And for manufactures saying the tests are not realistic, come visit Los Angeles, every morning I see the results of F=MA on the local streets and Freeways !!!

Sorry, we do not drive our cars like lab rats!~!!

6. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Because the previous administration oversaw the destruction of the financial markets. Don't worry, gas prices will climb with a vengeance once the economy starts to recover.

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A sizable minority of the population would claim there is no such thing, and chalk it up to a magical mystical being who lives in the sky

Take two large vehicles, eg two Suburbans, and do an offset crash with them. They don't do that well

The only time the driver of a H2, Suburban, Expedition, full size pickup, etc, can be a Big Man, walk away and laugh at the unfortunate victim, is when they crash into a Yaris or Civic containing a mom and an infant

8. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well you are 100% correct that which is exactly the problem here. we should be taxing gas to get near that higher level now. as market forces drives the price of gas up, the tax is reduced... at least a little.

but with the tax now, the market forces will be unable to increase at a significant rate because consumption who decrease much faster... so with the tax, we get the money to build what we need to get off oil which stop the outflow of cash to foreign countries.

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep. I'd make 5000+ lb. monstrosity vehicles practically illegal for consumers. If that weren't possible, they MUST take extra driver's training on a regularly basis. It's crazy to see some of the people driving those battering rams who have no business driving them and in some cases can't even back out of a parking spot w/o hitting another car.

(I was near one when a woman in a Suburban backed into an Audi when she had a TON of room. I'll have to post a picture of how much space she had sometime.)

At my former high school, I regularly see a Hummer H2 in the STUDENT parking area complete w/roof cargo container to even worsen its fuel economy. No inexperienced teenage driver should be allowed to drive a 6400+ lb. battering ram as a personal vehicle.
    I'm not so convinced by by the likelihood of the event being really small. Average weight for MY 2008 light duty vehicles in the US was 4117 lbs. per http://www.epa.gov/oms/cert/mpg/fetrends/420s08003.pdf. That's FAR higher than that of the minicars and significantly higher than the larger cars in the test (none of them are even 3900 lbs.).

I think it ought to be raised to well above $4/gallon. There were still plenty/too many monstrosity class SUVs running around here in California even when were well above $4/gal.

I was thinking more along the lines of kinetic energy = 1/2 mass * velocity^2.

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I like to see/know what will happen if the 2010 Prius crash head to head with the 2010 Insight.

11. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    $4 to start is good.

in ANY collision, weight is only part of it. get 2 large vehicles hit each other, betcha neither survives. reasons a large vehicle fares well with a small vehicle has a little to do with weight, but most of it is larger thicker metal, larger crumple zones. overall vehicle weight does have an impact but not as much as you think it does.

i drive a 1300 lb car that is ABS and aluminum on a steel frame... would i crumple??? a little but not much, so does that mean i would fare well in a head-on??...nope

i would bounce off like a ping pong ball...at 35 mph, that would be several thousands miles per hour in acceleration when i my vector changes by 180º in a fraction of a second.

so, no crushed bones... just a major headache

12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    :D

13. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

That works too!!!

Either way it equals a whole lotta BAD!!!

14. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually the Prius is steel on a steel frame. High-tensile steel, so lighter than mild steel for the same strength, but still steel. Only the hood and hatch are aluminium.

My roof is rusting slightly where a very large stone hit it. Must get that fixed.

EDIT: it's possible you have some other smaller car, of course... a Prius is more like 3,000lbs - about 1,300kg.

15. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    LOL!! i should have clarified since my Pri also weighs north of 2900 lbs. my 1300 POUND car is my Zenn. take out the 450 lbs of batteries and its really getting light!!