1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

IIHS Rates 2016 Prius Headlights as "Poor"

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by That_Prius_Car, Dec 14, 2016.

1. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm really shocked and disappointed. I've heard some PriusChatter's say that they've had oncoming drivers flash them due to glare. (Luckily, no one has flashed me yet.) But overall, I thought the LED headlights on the 2016 illuminated the road really well.

Edited by Tideland Prius: I've put the two results side-by-side for people to compare. Thanks That_Prius_Car and Prodigyplace for the screen captures.

PriusIIHS_Headlight_Compare.png

Attached Files:

#1 That_Prius_Car, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2016
  2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Doesn't make much sense to me. I find the lights are pretty good, and no flashers either.

kithmo likes this.
  3. ViPaDawG

ViPaDawG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    If you look at the 2017 Prius on the IIHS site, they are rated Poor for models built before August 2016, and Acceptable for those built Aug 2016 and later. I wonder what changed. (Maybe they fixed the headlight trajectory?)

I'd be curious if any of the Prius/Toyota insiders had insights?

RCO and krmcg like this.
  4. hyhi

hyhi Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Great, now i need to try to get my 2016 Nd GT miata back. It had great headlights...they even turned 10 degrees during a turn.

Bluegrassman and RCO like this.
  5. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Weird - based on the charts the lights of the Prius do not reach *their* optimal level. At the same time many report here from the US that they get flashed back because they are blinding oncoming drivers (which would mean the means are high and can go further).
    I never got flashed back with regular lights or headlights on. Just a couple of times when the Auto high beam didn't recognize properly the scene and turned back to normal light.
    Sounds fishy to me. And did they test the LEDs or the Halogen ones (I know the Gen4 can also come with Halogens)?

RCO likes this.
  6. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    o_O Did they have them switched on ?
    Maybe they tested the DRLs :rolleyes:

7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It looks like Toyota reduced the glare.
    upload_2016-12-15_8-45-59.png

Tideland Prius and kithmo like this.
  8. jtg61

jtg61 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2016 Prius Two Eco was manufactured in April 2016 and my low beams get flashed fairly regularly which is very annoying because then I have to momentarily flash my high beams to let them know I don't have my high beams on. Glad they fixed the problem but what about the rest of us driving cars manufactured prior to August 2016?

9. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Somebody might need to check the parts list. Perhaps the reflectors or lenses are different. They may only provide the new ones, though.

jtg61 likes this.
  10. ChrisPrius77

ChrisPrius77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Technology
    I read on the IIHS site, they tweak the way is calculating the glare.

Go to the IIHS site in the status report section.

11. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    On the graphic showing straight ahead illumination, it looks like the optimal distance and observed distance for low beams is shorter for the top "bar".

At first I thought the top bar represented the left headlight and the bottom bar represented the right headlight, but now I am confused.

Can anyone let me know what those two middle bars represent? Surely both lights are designed to illuminate the road ahead equally, right?

12. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe top bar is turning left & bottom bar is turning right. Apparently a car gets credit for auto high beams. If the high beam is adequate for turns, the low beam test is ignored if it is inadequate.

RCO likes this.
  13. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I think you are correct on that, but I was wondering about the perfectly straight bar in the middle. The one that is "double thick" and has a top half and a bottom half.

14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Quote: On the straightaway, the second measurement is taken at a point corresponding to the left edge of a two-lane road
    From
    Headlight evaluation
    I would assume the lower part is the driving and & the upper part is the other lane on a two lane road.

ATHiker likes this.
  15. first_superior_prius

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You know, at first I thought I was getting flashed a lot, but I have concluded after careful observations that it's NOT getting flashed by high beams, but rather that the Prius sits so low to the ground that when an oncoming car goes over some uneven road bumps, it changes the intensity of light hitting your eyes, and it LOOKS like they are flashing you, because your eyes are near-level with their headlights in some cases. I flashed my brights at a couple of those people I thought were flashing me, and they flashed their brights back at me to say they didn't have theirs on

Tideland Prius and jtg61 like this.
  16. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, LED's are standard across all models on the Gen.IV, & Prius c. However, it's optional on the Prius v.

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LED headlights are standard on all Gen 4. No optional or alternative headlight options.

It could be this. The Corolla headlights are right at the limit so occasionally the blue light hits your eye. I don't know why the lens Toyota uses gives off the blue hue. From the driver's seat, the lights are pure white. In addition, the Corolla DRLs here are the LED headlights so Canadians see them all the time.

The same goes for the Gen 4. The low beams (at slightly reduced intensity) are the DRLs in Canada so they're always on. They look a bit whiter than the Corollas when viewing them head-on on opposing traffic.

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've stitched the two results together and put it in the OP. On the straightaway, Toyota improved high beam reach but reduced low beam reach (probably to deal with the glare). There are some changes to the curve illumination as well.

That_Prius_Car likes this.
  19. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I made a 40 mile trip yesterday just after the sun went down. This was my first time driving my car at this time of day. I don't go out much at night. ;) I assume my lights went on when the cabin instrumentation cluster dimmed. I did get blinked a couple of times from oncoming cars. I tried to flip back but my brights wouldn't come on until it got darker. Once it was dark enough to use the brights, the auto dimming worked great and I didn't get any flashing from oncoming traffic after that.

20. GTBaker

GTBaker Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    ----Canada----
    I find the low beams good but was surprised that the high beams weren't brighter like a dual wattage halogen. Seems high beam is just a moving shutter. I can hear it when I flick the beams back and forth. High beam just isn't bright enough. My single headlight on my motorcycle is better

No flashes from anyone yet.