1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'll bet it's a dilly of a story...

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Paul Gregory, Jun 21, 2024 at 6:20 PM.

Tags:
  1. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My first tire rotation happened at it's last free service 30k. I was overjoyed that the rotation wasn't completely ignored during the free service window. :) Than I looked at the brakes, damn...

2. HacksawMark

HacksawMark Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    If you are 3000 kms over, why did you wait so long to schedule the oil change?

3. Paul Gregory

Paul Gregory Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I actually made the appointment before the oil change was due, but the dealer scheduled me for 2 weeks later. Then they rescheduled it for a week later still. I told the service guy I was already over, but he said that didn't matter.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The oils been in there around 19k kms?

5. Zeromus

Zeromus Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Well aside from missing oil change interval by a wild amount, the chip shortage does make sense. COVID pushed a lot of tech manufacturing. There are only so many chip makers. Chip makers prioritized orders that made them more money, things far more advanced than you need in a keyfob.

6. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Looking into the 2020-2023 chip shortage, it's wild how many things went wrong. And reading posts on here and at other "ordinary people" websites, it's hilarious how many people think they know how the semiconductor market works but really are so ludicrously off.

Preebee likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    op must do some serious driving

8. Paul Gregory

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I couldn't say exactly, but I went on a long trip after I scheduled the appointment. All I can say for sure is that my oil change reminder has been reminding me for almost 2 weeks now.

Just a trip up to the north country to see the midnight sun. It's about 1600 kms each way.

How much of what you read is actual fact, and how much is PR spin?

#28 Paul Gregory, Jun 23, 2024 at 2:35 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2024 at 4:02 PM
    bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    who's to know? but there has to be a reason toyota stopped giving two fobs during covid, it can't be saving them any money to do it this way.

10. Paul Gregory

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I don't believe in over-erring on the side of caution. This is the second oil change since I bought it. My first oil change was the important one; it took care of all the break-in filings and such. This is full synthetic oil, remember, and it can easily protect the engine for 2 or 3 regular oil change intervals. Besides, in a hybrid, the motor isn't even running half the time. I'm going along with the manufacturer's recommendations for warranty purposes.

11. Winston Smith

Winston Smith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure that's true in the sense that it doesn't matter to him.

Is it weird to measure oil change intervals on a Prime by mileage? Or in a cold climate, would the dominance of short use of the ICE militate in favor of more frequent intervals?

I hate to read how long it takes a dealer to program a fob.

Cars are better now than when everyone changed oil every 3,000 with 10w30, shoe re-soling was common and keys were physical, but the price for that improvement is increasing helplessness. I used to be able to get under my VW Rabbit and change the oil within 15 minutes or so with 79 cent per quart oil and a $2 filter. Spending an hour at the dealership a couple of times a year doesn't save me time or money.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    dealer/manufacturer money making machine has improved along with tech over the years.
    otoh, old cars used to need a lot more service/repair over the first 100,000 miles or so.