1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'll send you $20 if you teach me how to calibrate the MFD (touch screen)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by prius_nerd, Dec 11, 2016.

1. prius_nerd

prius_nerd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just bought a used 2007 Prius.

Its MFD (touch screen) is miscalibrated such that I need to touch 1 or 2 centimeters above what I actually want to press. For on-screen menu options shown near the top of the screen, this is obviously impossible. So I desperately need to calibrate the system.

I've tried the steps published at andrew.daviel*org/prius/egg.html*, but it didn't seem to work for me; I can get into one level of diagnostic screens but can never reach the Product Diagnosis Menu or the Calibration page.

I also want to disable the internal beep that happens after shifting into Reverse, but this process didn't work: priuschat*com/threads/disabling-the-reverse-beep.37380/ *

I'll send $20 (digitally) to the first person who sends me foolproof steps to solve both these problems within the next week.

Thanks!

P.S. "Watch" this thread because I'll see if I can post a video to it of what has been happening when I try those steps.

*This forum won't let me post links (since I'm new), so I obfuscated the URLs.

2. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hopefully someone will be able to help but be prepared for bad news. A group of us have had the MFD calibration jump too far off to access all of the correct screens to fix it. That was the case on our previous Prius ( the one that was eventually totaled). We tried the screens; the dealer tried everything they could including taking it out and trying to "jump start" it; we even took it to a private computer repair shop and they took a shot at it. We wound up replacing it with a refurbished unit.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ours is way far off now.
    There is a thread here that tells what to do to calibrate, possibly with reference to YouTube videos. About a year ago I was able to calibrate it, But now its off by 5 inches.

4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you followed the calibration instructions (Product Diagnosis Menu/Touch Switch Adjust) ) and it didn't work, you may simply be out of luck.
    But you describe yours as being very close so I would expect it should work.

And the process fro disabling the beep that you linked is correct.
    Try again following it very carefully. You should be able to get it.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was able to calibrate (with much patience and repeated push attempts) even when ours was quite far off like OP, but now it seems probably too far off on ours

6. prius_nerd

prius_nerd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I haven't solved the calibration problem yet, but I did finally disable the Reverse Beep.

I even recorded a video. PriusChat won't let me share the link, but you can search Youtube for "How To Disable The Reverse Beep In a 2007 Prius". (The ID in the URL is "OlrjbY8qQpg".)

Here are the steps.

Disable Internal Reverse Beep

1. Ensure passenger seat is empty (in case sensors over there might interfere).

2. Press foot on the brake and hold it down for this entire procedure (I think).

3. Press Power to start the car.

4. Using the Trip/ODO button, cycle through the options at least once, ending on with the Trip/ODO display set to ODO (not Trip A or Trip B).

5. Power off the car.

6. Press Power to start the car and quickly:

7. (Within a couple seconds of powering on, probably right after the double beep) Press and hold the Trip/ODO button for 10-12 seconds (there is no indication... just count). Watch my video to listen to my counting.

8. While still holding the button pressed in, shift the "gear" selector to R, then press the P button and finally release the Trip/ODO button.

9. If the last step was successful, "b on" or "b off" should be displayed in the location where the Odometer is normally displayed (on the dashboard).

10. Press Trip/ODO to toggle the mode to "b off" (beep off).

11. Power the car off.

12. To confirm that it worked: Press Power to start the car and confirm the reverse beep status by shifting to R. The beep should not be audible if "b off" was selected.

7. prius_nerd

prius_nerd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I can get into System Check Mode but can never reach the Product Diagnosis Menu or the Calibration page.

I will post a video in a moment if this forum lets me.

8. prius_nerd

prius_nerd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Please watch this short video of me attempting to get to the Calibration screen of my 2007 Prius.

I've tried the steps published at 2007 Prius - Easter Egg, but it didn't seem to work for me; I can get into System Check Mode but can never reach the Product Diagnosis Menu or the Calibration page.

If you have a suggestion, I'd LOVE to hear it! And I'll send money to the first person whose advice gets this MFD working for me.

Thanks!

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you tried to press the bottom of the screen (in case the touch wraps around to the bottom of the screen) to press the "Menu" button?

One other observation, to use the "touch the screen" method you need to hold the info button while you press alternately top, bottom, top, bottom, top, bottom. However, as your screen is out by 1 cm (approx) it may not be possible. When using this method, I find it easier to use the "Consumption" screen as the position of the left bar of the graph top and bottom is about the right place. May be if you offset (downward) by 1 cm, that might work.

Other than that, that's all I have.

prius_nerd likes this.
  10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...our is off by several inches now, so we have to push top of screen to set the bottom of screen buttons...unfort there does not seem to be a wrap around, as there is no way we have found to activate buttons on the top of the screen.

prius_nerd likes this.
  11. prius_nerd

prius_nerd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three