1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Illinois revenuer got me.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by harry r, Dec 2, 2011.

1. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds to me like the LEO made a clean stop, and it also sounds like you ought to see if your community has some form of ride-along program so that you might gain some perspective of how things look from the other side of the flashing lights.
    FWIW, I do not think that ensuring that a child is properly bolted into a car is "bastids looking for anything while they have you on the side of the road to run up the fine." In fact....he or she might have even taken your word as proof for how old the kid is.

If you don't like how the "Illinois revenuers" ply their trade, there is a very effective way to foil their evil plots against you.

Just obey the laws. :cool:

1 person likes this.
  2. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's kind of interesting how we have full intentions of doing things somethings, but it just keeps getting put off. It's usually the simple, quick things that require more time in prep than actually completing the task. At least, that's true in my case.

While I never got off with a warning any time I've been pulled over, it is nice that they allow that sometimes. I've never disrespected any officer, nor tried to make any excuse. Although, there was one time I probably could have fought and won (he lost visual sight of me for about 1/2 mile and was going the opposite direction initially), but it would have required taking a day off work, driving 90 minutes to court, etc. It was easier to just pay the fine and move on.

3. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  4. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Take the ticket to the dealer;)

There was a local chief of Police that wanted to put cameras up on every corner (Bellows Falls, Vt) the town held a vote and defeated his proposal soundly, he actually put in print in the local paper that anyone without all the proper license plate bolts or anyone parked more then five inches from the curb was going to get a ticket...

Alas he's no longer the chief of police, bad cop, most are good:cool:
    (the person in "that position" before him when leaving to move to Ohio stated in the paper he was moving someplace where the people were more friendly, His words were "moving someplace where everyone won't call me a flat lander")

Be careful, it's tough out there

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Funny thread. The fines you listed are a bargain. Don't be breaking those laws in Alberta! You'll be shocked at the costs. At least we don't have front plates.

Then there are the morons. A guy on the Pathfinder forum put blue led washer nossles on his hood. Blue LEDs in his line of sight! I warned him he would get a ticket. He chastised me for being too tight a$$ed. After he got two, yup, two, tickets in one week he removed them.
    There IS a god!!

1 person likes this.
  6. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I moved from Michigan to Ohio, I had to get a front plate. I was too lazy to go to the dealer, so until I went in for the next oil change I had the plate hanging from the front grill with two pieces of rope. :p

1 person likes this.
  7. oldasdust

oldasdust Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Lets see driving in Illinois is under law a privilege not a right and rules are enforced or at least they should be. The front plate law in Illinois was fought for by law enforcement groups like the FOP. Here is an example. A crime is committed and the offender leaves in a blue vehicle a toyota license plate given. A police officer passes a blue toyota not far from the crime with no license plate on front. Well is it the right vehicle ? A u turn is made to catch up with the vehicle oops different registration and here comes another blue toyota and no front registration now a repeat and all the while the offender is getting away. The front plate really helps identify one blue toyota from another quickly how many blue red black fords chevrolets toyotas are out there then try that at night.

1 person likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my wife once told someone that their inspection sticker had expired. (she was truly concerned that they were unaware and would get a ticket or towed and worse.) they told her to mind her own business in no uncertain terms.:glare:

9. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As a moderator of another unrelated list, I very much enjoy the unique freedom of speech offered by the internet and chat groups like this.

When Harry insulted police (calling them bastards and further demeaned them as "revenuers") when he was caught red-handed, breaking the law in several ways, he chose to publicly deride the police rather than himself.

I, and others, disagreed. Nonetheless, Mark, this forum moderator, sent me a stern warning and some kind of bizarre demerit point. See transcript below.

Are members of this forum not entitled to have a opposing opinions about this kind of post that suggests law breaking at the cost of public safety, just because the car looks "cleaner"? Or should we all be more upset by Mark, the moderator's censoring of my opposing opinion? FWIW, I did choose to respond to Harry using a slightly profane name (as was totally appropriate response to his profanity which has NOT been censored). My original, uncensored post began with, "You're a [donkey]".

What, fellow PriusChatters, should I do here? Here is my unexpected PriusChat warning:

"You have received an infraction at PriusChat Forums.
    Reason: Insulted Other Member(s)
    -------
    We will not tolerate insulting other members on this site, you should know better. Watch it in the future...
    -------
    This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Original Post:
    Illinois revenuer got me.
    Quote:
    You deliberately broke the law. You must accept the consequences. You have nothing to complain about.
    All the best,
    PriusChat Forums

10. jpadc

jpadc Type before I think too often

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, its my opinion that you should accept that calling other members an nice person is not merely expressing an opposing position. Its my opinion that you should accept that PC is not the US government and does not owe you free speech rights. The mods here have censored members for reasons I have outspokenly disagreed with (e.g., Bob Wilson) but its their board and they get to make the rules. However, its also my opinion that the mods did the right thing in your case.

So, its my opinion that what you should do here is apologize to all parties concerned.

You are free to disagree with my opinion and the Mods here will likely let you do so in writing as long as you just think to yourself that I'm an nice person and don't actually call me one.

1 person likes this.
  11. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I simply don't understand the logic --- What if the police has the power to stop any car for no reason, wouldn't he have more opportunity to get a fugitive off the street?

I am not a liberal, by the way...

12. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I guess lots of people don't connect dots.

When income tax was introduced 100 years ago in US, it was only apply to those richest 1-2%, and only for 1-2% of income. No big deal, right?
    Where are we now?
    And where it will be in next 10 years?
    In communism China 30 years ago, no matter how much you produce, you only keep the same meager amount as anyone else. There was no tax returns, because it was not called TAX. But I think it is not difficult to understand the nature of it.

Now the airport security in recent years. Yeah, we just need you to take off your shoes. Then belts, coats. Then body search. Then just a little bit grope, to keep you safe.

I don't know if anyone on PC will be happy if someday police on street yelling to everyone: Paper?

13. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Corrections:
    This is an attempt to equate violation of Illinois' reasonable license plate law into some kind slippery slope of all-government-is-bad-totalitarianism. Perhaps this post should be moved to Fred's House of Pancakes.

1) The federal income tax was first enacted in 1862 to support the Union's Civil War effort.

2) China's economy is currently far outpacing the United States.

3) Visit Arizona streets for the "show me zee papers" in current law.

14. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You're entitled to have whatever opinion you want. You got the infraction for calling another member of Priuschat an nice person. I could care less if you agree or disagree with what the OP said. Hopefully now you feel better about getting the whole experience off your chest and are aware of something myself and the other moderators here will not allow.

2 people like this.
  15. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I never think/said all gov are bad, but don't you see the trend?
    How about the "revenue generating ticket" part, if what the OP said is true? You think this cop is more interested in enforcing the license plate law or to generate revenue?

16. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Interesting, albeit one sided, lesson learned. If I quasi-misspell profanity it is somehow OK with Mark. I've learned that my profanity was censored, but the profanity from the original post has not yet been censored.

Mark: do you agree with the original poster's point of view?

17. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "THE TREND" of doom comes from ticketing a hazardous driver? Who shot JFK? "The world is coming to an end...Yes, but did they say when?," Men In Black.

Don't you really think the OP got a ticket because he was similarly nasty, argumentative and whiny with the policeman about his special need for a "clean look"? Do you think he dared to call the officer a "bastid" or a "revenuer"?

18. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Actually I still don't see anything in OP's post what he said to police. Where did you get that he was nasty, argumentative and whiny with the policeman?

19. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Apparently our courts have decided that having no probable cause would give the police too much power.:rolleyes:

20. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Let make this clear, I may pick someone at random and call them an nice person: Jay Leno is an nice person.
    If Jay signs up for PriusChat however, I am expected to be polite to him, I could not call a member named Jay Leno an nice person.

This has nothing to do with my opinion being right or wrong or meeting some PC guideline for opinions, this has to do with politeness to each other.

In some other Forum, they claimed no one was as civil as their posters, I pointed out PriusChat.
    Foul language - is there any meaningful limit? - Ars Technica OpenForum

1 person likes this.