1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

illuminate the joystick shifter?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by windstrings, Sep 2, 2009.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Provide some links if you have them.. if this is a total failure... I may consider tucking the stock one away for safe keeping and go with Tacky... yes... I can be tacky sometimes!

2. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    just go to pep boys or autozone

there are some that have a battery and some you have to wire up

3. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I want solar cells in the bottom and a LiIon computer bios battery for the LED :rockon:

4. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  5. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  6. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  7. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    OK.. boys and girls.. I finally got a chance to dump some glowpowder into the shifter!.......

I haven't spent time in real life driving with it to see just how charged it gets and how long it stays charged into the evening verses first thing in the morning when its been dark all night and I leave for work in the dark and the only fresh charge it would get would be the brief dome lights but so far I'm impressed!

This stuff stays charged a long time so I think I may be good to go!
    BTW... if anyone orders this glowpowder, note the "green" is the most powerful and will last the longest.

Here is a look at the knob itself
    [​IMG]

Here is a look with the headlights on so you can see how bright it is compared to the normal ambiance of the LED shining down on the center console and the normal lit lights.

I have my night lights at full brightness and my Nav screen subdued to the second to the lowest brightness setting for night driving.
    [​IMG]

1. How I did it..... I have some glowpowder I bought and FYI you prob need to buy 1 oz. as I bought 4 oz and it filled a medicine bottle nicely and I gestimate I used maybe 1/3 to 1/2 oz to fill the joystick shifter. I'm not sure 1/4 oz would be enough.

2. I rolled up a sheet of paper to a tiny point and stapled it "or tape" to hold its shape to make a funnel with a small enough hole to go inside the hole in the shifter.

3. I filled with glowpowder and tapped it on the table several times to shake down into all the cracks and crevices in the hollow spaces in the shifter.

4. Dump out any excess so you can see the bottom of the threads "or rather see all the threads" and then I pushed a tiny wad of toilet paper into the hole and pushed it down so it rested toward the other end of the threads. If I wanted to reverse the mod, I'm thinking I could grab the paper with some hemostats and dump out the powder..... but I can't see the reason to ever do that.

5. Now you can turn the knob rightside up to place back over the shaft to thread back on and the toilet paper should prevent any spillage.

6. Powder is strange to work with... note that if its not packed well.. you could get "uncharged" powder that lay underneath the charged powder on the surface to spill onto the top and cover up the charged powder....... so when you fill it.. fill it full and tight before you put in your tiny wad of toilet paper!!!

7. Screwing it back on the shaft should pack it even more.
    Now "to test", charge the powder by putting a small pocket light or source near the knob to energize the powder.
    You shouldn't ever had to do this again as the surface should receive an even charge to look uniform under normal use.

Your done! :)

After about an hour, I didn't notice enough charge to really appreciate.
    I turned the car on "its still dark outside" and just the light from the Nav screen charged it and I could see it steadily get brighter and brighter "but subdued".

Once the headlights are turned on, the nav screen goes to dark mode so no longer gives the shifter an appreciable charge, but at that point the dim LED is shining on it... As you know, glow powder will never glow brighter than its source, so the LED alone doesn't do much for it and tends to drown out the light of the shifter.

A lighted shifter obviously wouldn't be a problem, but we are testing this first.

Hitting it with a pocket light really makes it pop!.....

I won't know how noticeable it is under normal use until I do just that.

I'll report back later.

8. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    very cool

9. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It looks great, Alan!

What does it look like in the daylight? Is there any brightness even in daylight?

10. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Only if you went into a tunnel or darker area, the daylight would blind away what the shifter emitted as it will never be brighter than the source illuminating it.

I'm expecting it to look quite nice when the evening sun sets into the dark.

11. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sounds great.

I was expecting you to use blue -- mainly because of the color of the knob itself. Seeing it with the dash lit up, I can see why you were thinking green.

I was interested in the daylight to see if the blue color remained or whether it now has a green glow about it.

Also, what would you think of their blue (turquoise) color? Would it be all wrong, color-wise?

12. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    At night it looks green, but in the day, it looks basically normal "blue".

I"m afraid if you used any color of powder besides green you would lose a ton of light abilities.. if you follow the link I gave for glowpowder, you will see that the other colors drop dramatically in their brightness ratings.

Our human eyes see green the best..... true with lasers too!

1 person likes this.
  13. radioprius1

radioprius1 Climate Conspirisist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Very interesting! May you please let us know if you can see (and show photos) the powder in the knob during the daytime?? :) Looks really neat.

14. sciguy125

sciguy125 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How tight is the knob? I tried to unscrew it, but it was pretty tight. I'm afraid of breaking it.

15. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I doubt ou would break it.. the shaft is solid steel and the knob is solid plastic "at the base".. its pretty well made.

Mine wasn't bad at all... but do the turn left, turn right thing, if you can ever get it started your good.

I thought I would have to put some plumbers tape or something to keep it tight again, but no.. I took it off twice before I did the mod, and it still went back on nice and solid.

Looks like they have some red thread compound on it.

I'll take a daylight pic... but the blue plastic is pretty dominant.... if it were more clear the powder would be blinding at night.

I think it may look less translucent, but not enough to notice..

I'll post pics.

16. radioprius1

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know this is a little off topic, but I wouldn't mind a short, classy looking leather shift knob in charcoal gray or light gray. I think the stock one looks nice and gives that "space ship" look to the cockpit, but I don't like the little Reverse/Neutral/Drive/Brake graphic on the shift knob. It looks oddly put on there (IMHO) for some reason.

17. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I agree..... I'm going to try this for a week or so, but I'm not in love with it enough to turn down some of the alternatives out there!

18. radioprius1

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    :eek:
    I like your glow idea and execution of it. When I first bought the car I was surprised it didn't glow a little at night, but thought the single LED spotlight was super cool. But I kind want a refined feeling, and the shift knob sticks out a little. It's cool just kinda odd :)

Here are a couple of styles I was looking at for a replacement. Just gray(silver) and black leather. There are short and tall versios, not sure which would work best for our vehicles.

Attached Files:

19. cmblack13

cmblack13 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    very cool mod!!! job well done

20. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Excellent mod and enhancement!

My powder order is on the way. After seeing it in the dark, the green makes sense. Now if we could do a blue glow in the day shifting to green at night.:cool: