1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

illuminate the joystick shifter?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by windstrings, Sep 2, 2009.

1. JStrenk

JStrenk Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe you need to pull the Americium 241 source out of a smoke detector and shove it in there with the glow powder somehow. :)

Maybe mixing ground up old Coleman lantern mantles with the glow powder.

2. lgorbena

lgorbena New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would love to see some pics of how it looks at night! I am thinking about doing the exact same thing. Considering it is reversible and inexpensive, I have no problem trying it out.

If you do some searching here on the forums, someone actually put an led ring around the shifter's base. It looks very cool.

3. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I dont understand why people dont simply go to radio shack and buy a 12v blue led, drill a hole and wire it to the dimmer circuit. Thats what Im going to try tomorrow.

4. lgorbena

lgorbena New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Because the shifting rod is solid... So if you do that, you are going to have a wire hanging from your shifter... But if you do it, let us know how it goes...

5. Stevie

Stevie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    come on guys, don't give up on this, i have just purchased a Prius C, and even my wife said does the gear knob light up ?
    look it's begging for it
    [​IMG]

6. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you wanted to spend the money, you could drop tritium sticks in the bottom where the rod screws on... Then some clear epoxy... "might have trouble drying"
    then when viewed while mounted the tritium would be close to the surface and easily visible.

You can buy the stuff on cpf.

CPFMarketPlace
    Alan.. Sent with Tapatalk 2

7. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I did it. I put a blue led in my 12' plug in. It was boring and the wire got in the way when I shifted so I pulled it out. I carved out the underside of my shift knob to tuck the wire into but it still got in the way a little. Its an alright mod but I wouldnt do it again if I did it over. I think I posted a thread about it and I have video on my youtube page.

8. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hey Jumbo!
    Would be cool to have a solar cell and led inside... Charges by day, shines by night!
    Would probably need easy access to the battery as they eventually go bad.

Alan.. Sent with Tapatalk 2

9. Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Sorry to bump an old thread (the downfall of newbs searching : ) ) but I just want to confirm that the little white light in the overhead console light assembly (that houses the map lights) is there to light up the shifter area?

I am still learning this 2010 I own, just saw that for the first time and thought, "what the hell is that for?"

Thank you

10. Analogkid1958

Analogkid1958 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes! Just cover it up at night and you'll see why it's they're. :)

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

11. Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    lol thanks.

Might make it red. I'm really light sensitive while night driving.

12. Analogkid1958

Analogkid1958 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's not near as bright as the instrument panel lights! Besides, it's probably 1) very hard to get at and 2) not an off-the-shelf product.

13. Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I'm a truck guy... which means I'd just cut a piece of red film to fit in the hole and shove it in there.

:)

14. Analogkid1958

Analogkid1958 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ah. That would work, though it might cut the light level so much it wouldn't be worth having.

15. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Holy thread resurrection Batman! :eek: I still enjoy mt glow powder shift knob every day and look forward to doing the same to my Prime Advanced when it arrives in October. :D

16. MrBugMan

MrBugMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Howdy Prius people of the world!

So one of the 1st things I wanted to do was illuminate the blue shift knob on the 2018 Prime purchased four months ago but have been too busy lately to research the subject. finally google searched today and found this thread.

I'm leaning toward fiberoptic line through the middle of the stem to light up the screw on knob. I want to leech off the cars electrical and was hoping to find a good guide but am surprised no one has posted one yet.

Approx. two moths ago I saw a post in my Instagram feed someone in Eastern Europe (Russia maybe) did exactly what I'm trying to accomplish, but for the life of me I can't find that post anymore on IG! It was awesome! This blue knob had a nice glow equal to the other lights in the cabin and seemed to be controled like all other cabin lights.
    I've partially taken it apart and the most difficult step seems to be drilling a hole down the shift stem that will not compromise stem integrity.

Any leads? Once my work days drops under 60-75 hrs per week I will try finding parts online/auto wreaking and experiment.

17. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    This thread is in the GEN 3 section so most Prime owners will not see it here. I did because I was already subscribed from owning and modding my GEN 3 in this 3 year old thread.

Instead of trying to drill the steel stem, why not just run the thin fiber optic line up the back side of the short stem and into a hole drilled into the blue knob? Just thinking out loud. Good luck.

18. FriedCells

FriedCells Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd add to this rather old thread but on the same subject matter. See photo for my result:
    IMG_20200724_204150.jpg
    I bought some Neon wire from Amazon. Just search this exactly :
    M.best El Wire USB Neon Light for Automotive Interior Car Decoration with 6mm Sewing Edge (3M/9FT, Blue)
    Then, I did this:
    light.jpg
    Then, pried off center cover (search Youtube for how).
    IMG_20200724_181406.jpg
    Then, you run the wire coming from the shifter through each part the best that you can. It gets a little tricky when you need to screw the shifter back on. You need to rotate the pieces below at the same time to not get the wire all tangled up. And as the shifter gets closer to being fully screwed in, there are tabs that get in the way from the piece that is directly below the shifter. I had to bend those tabs flat instead of down to complete the task, and then bend them back when fully screwed in. I covered the exposed wire going through those parts with black electrical tape. It's pretty well camouflaged. Also ran black tape up the metal post that holds the shifter as well as just a tiny piece of tape to cover where the wire goes into the shifter. It's a well hidden hole that nobody will see anyways. The electrical tape is the same color as the shift stick, so as long as you get it on smooth, nobody can tell. Then, I ran some of the excess wire around the underside of the circle that surrounds the shifter to give that a nice glow also (I did carefully use superglue for that part), then stuffed down the rest of the wire into unused spaces under the cup holder area, and then ran the part that connects to a USB port through some holes leading into the armrest console. I had to pry off a little piece there also to make it easier. Then, connected to USB in armrest console, and now, whenever I start up my car, the shifter illuminates immediately. Pretty cool. I forgot to take a photo, but I also ran some of the extra blue glowing wire around the edges of the interior of armrest console, so now, when I open it, it's all lit up with a blue glow also. Pretty cool. One good thing about the wire being plugged into the armrest console is that the little black transformer box between the blue wire and the USB makes an annoying whining sound. But with it being inside the console, you can't hear it at all. Hidden and quiet, with all the sexy new blue glow that should have been in the Prius shifter all along!

Attached Files:

sadie72, MrBugMan and Mark57 like this.
  19. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Outstanding. That's what I was suggesting in my post above. I was hoping it could be done without too much trouble. Great job figuring out how to do it.

FriedCells likes this.